WNDR 3300 - how to get max speed on 5 ghz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
unseengundam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:52    Post subject: WNDR 3300 - how to get max speed on 5 ghz? Reply with quote
I have refurbished WNDR 3300 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) mini - build 14205M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko. I have managed to put that on and it seem stable. The main thing I want is more speed.

I am using with a refurbished Netgear WNDA 3100 v1, which the 5ghz N on it.

I am currently maxing out on mine file transfer only at 4.483 Megabytes per seconds (or 36 Megabits per sec). I pretty it should be faster that, maybe 6 Mbps to 9 Mbps.

Here is my basic current configuration:

N-Only (5 GHz)
Channel 136 + 134
Width 40 Mhz
TX Power 71 mW
WPA2 with PSK security

On my laptop mine WNDA 3100 client shows 100% signal. But on the router page shows it only at 47%. Note this is the laptop and router 3-4 feet from each other.
Sponsor
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 mb/s is average. your numbers seems to be ok.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:32    Post subject: Re: WNDR 3300 - how to get max speed on 5 ghz? Reply with quote
unseengundam wrote:

WPA2 with PSK security

WPA2 with AES?

Also you are correct, you should be getting a little better throughput than that, may want to try different channel, and with the wndr3300, being that it has internal antennas, positioning is crucial for good signal.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually just tested this yesterday using equipment buddee gave me. I wasn't using any encryption but the WNDR3300 was topping out at 65mbps up/60mbps down pretty consistently with a 2x2 MIMO adapter. CPU usage was around 50% and I think that the wireless driver in DD-WRT is just topping out it's throughput because it's putting such a high load on the CPU just to transfer data from buffers. My 5GHz results are at the very bottom of this page.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Throughput_Testing

btechnet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look here at the bottom of the page.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58201

i have a few set up on NA-only, channel 116. Wpa2 Aes. Width 40. Seems to give me about 10-12MBps transfer.

You should also change your tx power from 71mW to 30-35 mW. anything bigger than 60 or so starts to cause wireless amplifier overdriving, distorting the wireless signal.

Brainslayer
1x AR690w mini - 15649 v24
Brainslayer
2x AR430W std - 13064 v24 Brainslayer
2x WNR834B v2 mini - 14311 K2.4 BrainSlayer
1x RT-N16 big - 14280 NEWD-2 K2.6 BrainSlayer
1x WRT54G V5.0 micro - 15704 v24 Brainslayer
1x WRT54GL V1.1 micro - 15704 v24 Brainslayer
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be very careful if you want to try k2.6 builds on WNDR3300 because the newer builds will often brick it and you'll need a serial cable to recover. If you don't already have a serial cable then you may want to buy a very cheap one and learn to use it before you play with k2.6 at all.
unseengundam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it with AES encryption. I did try few different channels with too much luck.

Now, MAJOR speed problem is went I moved mine laptop to my bedroom downstairs. As soon as I sent there the signal strength dropped to 40% or so. When doing a speedtest (online) the connection only gave a 8-9 mbps (bits) up/down! That only 1 megabytes per second. I tried tons of different channels and wireless 2.4 N. Turns out 2.4 ghz N was giving a bit higher speed of 12-15 mbps (bits) up/down. Note to get best speed on 2.4 ghz I had to disable 40 mghz due interference. Which why I got the 5ghz N, unfortunately 5 ghz N is slower than 2.4ghz N for me. Main problem is this setup is SLOWER than my current G config!!! :(

The main reason I bought this was boost my connection speed in my bedroom downstairs. My downstairs bedroom sticks out of house and is blocked by couple of walls. Currently I am using a Linkysys G router with DD-wrt as client connection a Buffalo Atheros A/G router (default firmware). I am getting a 18-19 mbps (bits) up/down. I was hoping the switch to N would give me atleast twice the speed, but its actually slower ...

I will lowering the power to see if it helps. But looks like I might just have to return this WNDR 33000, since it is slower than my G currently.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
unfortunately 5Ghz has range problems on all units that i have seen, if your gonna run N with any kind of range involved, it is best to run it in 2.4Ghz / 40 Wide channel / N-Only

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
unfortunately 5Ghz has range problems on all units that i have seen, if your gonna run N with any kind of range involved, it is best to run it in 2.4Ghz / 40 Wide channel / N-Only

It's a limitation of its physics, 5GHz has a shorter wavelength so it doesn't travel through things as well.

unseengundam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

As I said before 2.4 ghz N works better with 40 wide DISABLED. I think it mainly due all other 2.4 ghz devices it just can't find 2 good open channels.

Now main annoyance is the mine old G setup is working better than 5/2.4 N or G on WNDR 3300. This make the WNDR 3300 kind of useless for me, should I just return it?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hrm, thats a tough question to answer because i personally like my WNDR3300's but if i was not satisfied with it, then yes i probably would.

Edit: @ phuzi0n, yes to this degree i am thinking about doing some of those antenna mod's mentioned in one of the 3300 threads to atleast 1 of my 3300's and see if that will improve signal some.

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Hrm, thats a tough question to answer because i personally like my WNDR3300's but if i was not satisfied with it, then yes i probably would.

Edit: @ phuzi0n, yes to this degree i am thinking about doing some of those antenna mod's mentioned in one of the 3300 threads to atleast 1 of my 3300's and see if that will improve signal some.
You by chance have a link to that thread or can you post it when you find it? I am having trouble locating the particular thread your are referring to about the antenna mods.

EDIT: NM, I found it

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44192

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
You by chance have a link to that thread or can you post it when you find it? I am having trouble locating the particular thread your are referring to about the antenna mods.

All that work and they still only got throughput of a 1x1 MIMO 20MHz channel. I can't find any indication if it even improved range.

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Dark_Shadow wrote:

All that work and they still only got throughput of a 1x1 MIMO 20MHz channel. I can't find any indication if it even improved range.
I plan on giving it a go myself, now that I have an extra WNDR3300. I look forward to letting you know when it is complete and running some tests for you. Still trying to locate pre made pigtails.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: