IMPULSE DRIVE on my wrt54gs v1 (usb mod)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
bigbuffalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 15:43    Post subject: Re: IMPULSE DRIVE on my wrt54gs v1 (usb mod) Reply with quote
Quote:

I only have the info for these ICs:
PBGA package: bcm4702, bcm4704, bcm4712,bcm5350, bcm5352
(bga package with green PCB broader)

and bcm5354

Zerx:

Do you mind to post the info for bcm4712 for adding the two usb.
I would like to try to add the USB in my router WBR2-G54 which uses this CPU.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi

bigbuffalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zerx:

Thanks a lot for your information. Very Happy
I shall spend sometime to trace out if these two wires are connected out in WBR2-G54 router and post the result here if I find them.
staqUUR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:24    Post subject: Successfully modded! Reply with quote
Zerx, you da man! Cool

I followed your instructions and have two working USB ports on my WRT-54GL v1.1.

One thing I haven't yet figured out is how to mount TWO drives. I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/09/10) std-nokaid-usb firmware, and if I plug in one pendrive, it's automounted and visible using WinSCP. When I plug in the second pendrive, the first one disappears from both the page and WinSCP. Does dd-wrt allow only one mounted drive?

Greetz and thanks
staqUUR
pflatlyne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could someone who has done this post a photograph of the completed mod?
bigbuffalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have completed, and it is working fine.

I spent some time and finally verified that the 2 usb wires are not connected out to pcb for Buffalo WBR2-G54 model. I have to connect the wire from the chip pcb.

Thanks to Zerx for the information. I only have to scratch the green protection paint of the necessary 2 connection wire on chip pcb. This will minimize short circuit to others during soldering.
nixnix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey zerx can you post the pics/info for the rest of these chips - PBGA package: bcm4702, bcm4704, bcm5350

On a side note have you seen any info for the 4712 bga posted anywhere. I am trying to find a feasible mod for the wrt54g v2.2

thx
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28    Post subject: bcm4702, bcm4704, bcm5350 Reply with quote
bcm4702, bcm4704, bcm5350

[/img]
metalguy66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:06    Post subject: Working Great! Reply with quote
Thanks man..

I did this mod to my WRT-54GS (ver 1.0)

Added a small perfboard containing the 4 resistors, along with a 7805 (5volt) regulator. This 1 amp regulator is more than adequate to run both USB ports, as well as a nice sized cooling fan.

I installed the firmware you reccomended, along with HDsamba2 + Samba3 upgrade, and now I've got a 500gb USB hardisk as NAS, fully browsable from all my Windows machines..

works great..
metalguy66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07    Post subject: Speed issues Reply with quote
One thing that I have noticed is that the speed of access "ain't all that."

For instance, if the drive gets unmounted "uncleanly", it takes it about 6 hours to check the file system, before it will remount. To be fair, we are talking about a 480GB "data" partition here.

I have also noticed that copying files to/from the drive over the network does not happen at very impressive speeds.. at best, maybe a megabyte per second..

I have all the USB options enabled in the firmware, including USB 2.0, and the USB IDE bridge I am using is definitely USB 2.0...

I am wondering if the speed issues are due to broken USB 2.0 support in the firmware, or just poor performance due to the overhead of SAMBA3 running on a 200mhz processor..
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:40    Post subject: bcm4712 Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

I suggest you install the latest build shown here

I believe bcm4712 only has a usb1.1 ohci controller
kodak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29    Post subject: WRT54GS v4 Reply with quote
Hi all,
I got WRT54GS v4 and it looks inside exactly the same as here

with a remark that processor has EKPB suffix instead of EKPBG.

I have gently chiseled those "472" resistors (as they were very hard to desolder) and replaced them (through wire connection to other ground) with 15k. 5v power for USB is provided from external source.

I have loaded:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/18/10) std-nokaid-usb
(SVN revision 15230M NEWD Eko)
because it supports both MMC and USB at once.

USB drivers are starting:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 13:11:53 Sep 18 2010
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:03.0 to 64
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb8003000, IRQ 6
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:03.0, PCI device 14e4:4716
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.

however no USB device is ever found Sad Can anyone confirm USB working on WRT54GS v4? Which software is it running?
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigh.....you have given no info for me to debug for you.

at lease some clear pics of what you have done would be helpful

it is verified here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=23308
kodak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. CPU cables; 472 resistors removed, black isolation tape put on ground left after resistors (my new 15k resistors were SMD too but bigger then before that is why i needed to move them to other place)
2. crossroads: each line is split here - one goes to USB connectors and one to 15k resistors
3. 15k resistors: each line has one 15k resistor attached serially to...
4. ground; i was trying to solder it to big free xtal ground but with no luck; at the end I have chosen ground found on JP1 port
5. 5V is taken from external (micro USB plug) source attached to USB connectors

What I was trying: for USB 1 I have taken green/white cables while for USB 2 white/green so maybe D lines order were wrong - no luck
I have checked all data pins on usb connectors and there is 15k resistance seen with common ground; 5V is also correctly connected as some attached devices are turning their led lights on;
What to be checked: only one thing I am thinking of is using an oscilloscope to check waveforms on those D lines - maybe there is no connection to CPU? Another way of checking the loop with CPU would be to scratch some green coating from it and check connection there but I do not know were to find those lines directly at CPU...
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
so....

***IMPORTANT***did you connected the ground "pin" of your usb ports to the ground of the router (NOT the metal shield of the ethernet port)

it is not a good idea to mount the mini-usb case to the metal shield on the ethernet port

it is batter to isolate the shield on the ethernet port from the ground

but inside your 5v power source it may have connected the case of mini-usb jack to ground

it is also a good idea to shorten these wires

what is your 5v sources anyways??
keep in mind that the quality of a lot of commercial power adapter is very bad and they are only good for charging batteries

i suggest you use a 7805-compatible ic unless you are sure that your 5v power is well regulated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: