Whats the best router to get to use dd-wrt with?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:04    Post subject: Whats the best router to get to use dd-wrt with? Reply with quote
i made an Awful mistake by paying for a new router.. bought the Dlink DIR-655 was fine for 1 day then.... it began dropping Wifi connections.. Constantly.

tried to make it co exist w/ my DD-WRT enabled WRT54G v2.2 and that was a total failure. while the wrt was connected via Wired Eithernet (from the wrt's WAN to Lan #2 on the dlink), connections on the dlink side degraded to the effect of running on 56k.

so after reaching my limit and screaming cuss words at the top of my lungs i disconnected the dlink and made the wrt the main router for now, and i want to replace the dlink w/ something in the N range Stable like my wrt and can use dd-wrt? as my wrt isnt going to full time be the main router as im not staying at the current house beyond the beginning of winter.(this is a temp home till my significant other gets her trailer in ohio)
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO D-link isn't the best routers as you see, for same price i would look into getting maybe Asus RT-N16 or Netgear WNR3500L, also if Dual band (2.4Ghz / 5Ghz) is a concern you may wanna check out the Linksys WRT610N v2

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
AfterShock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd recommend a buffalo if your planning on using dd-wrt, they have twice the ram and are covered under a bad flash since buffalo is switching to dd-wrt anyway and flashing a buffalo with dd-wrt is the same as flashing regular firmware, no tools, no doing 5 resets, you use the web interface and your done. Though I have read about lots of issues with wireless N on dd-wrt, the driver isn't stable and not an official driver because the stable drivers are copyrighted and not open source so they are off limits to dd-wrt.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
With buffalo you take a gamble that you may get one that isn't compatible, also i highly doubt that any buffalo has more ram than the Asus i mentioned.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Rip-Saw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I, too, would like to hear people's opinions on this topic. Surely 8mb flash is the new recommended amount. I'm wondering about wireless power specifically. DD-WRT allows the xmit power to be turned up, so reading router reviews with stock firmware is pointless.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rip-Saw wrote:
I, too, would like to hear people's opinions on this topic. Surely 8mb flash is the new recommended amount. I'm wondering about wireless power specifically. DD-WRT allows the xmit power to be turned up, so reading router reviews with stock firmware is pointless.

Well this unit has 32Mb of flash and 128Mb of sysram.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16

Also what further is your requirements? The above unit can not do N 5Ghz is about all i see as a minus for it, otherwise it smokes everything i have seen or read about, second choice would be a Netgear WNR3500L, and if 5Ghz is needed then third choice being the linksys wrt610n, 2 of the listed units (netgear and asus) are in the $80-95 price range, the linksys is about $110 for the refurb, and about $150 new.

slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
is asus n16 stable with dd-wrt or are there still some issues that need working out?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everyone i read about using the asus rt-n16 says nothing but great success with it, only reason i have not gotten one myself is because i have alot of 2.4Ghz activity happening already, so for me, 5Ghz is somewhat of a must.

slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the rt-n16 is also only single radio so total aggregate bandwidth available is low compared to other wifi access points in the similar price range, such as the netgear wndr3700.
EarloftheWest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:58    Post subject: What about an access point? Reply with quote
If you like your WRT54G, you could get an AP with N.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
slybunda wrote:
the rt-n16 is also only single radio so total aggregate bandwidth available is low compared to other wifi access points in the similar price range, such as the netgear wndr3700.

Here the asus is about $85, the netgear 3700 is about $165, thats a big gap price range difference to me!

slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
can any wifi router handle 25+ clients connected to it at simultaneously or do you need special types of routers to do the job?
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
slybunda wrote:

Here the asus is about $85, the netgear 3700 is about $165, thats a big gap price range difference to me!

considering the netgear is twice the speed of the asus id say the netgear is priced fairly well.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
slybunda wrote:

considering the netgear is twice the speed of the asus id say the netgear is priced fairly well.

Once again you got your info screwed.....

When i think of price range i think $20 give or take, i dont think netgear and asus are even within range of each other when there is a gap that big, also you say the netgear is twice as fast as the asus, the netgear 3700 runs at 680Mhz, the asus runs at 500Mhz, the Netgear would have to run at 1Ghz+ to be twice the speed of the asus and it doesn't.

slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
i going by the wifi throughput charts shown on smallnetbuilder site, the wndr3700 is the fastest wifi router off the shelf so far. it uses dual radio which is main advantage over the single radio of the asus.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: