Best DSL Modem the never needs restarting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
toly85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 20:43    Post subject: Best DSL Modem the never needs restarting Reply with quote
I am helping out a new local small business setup a basic network. At home I have used dd-wrt for 5+ years with my cable modem from Time Warner and it is rock solid, I never had to touch it or unplug it, it just always works. I can be running multiple torrents with thousands of active ip connections and it just works.

In know of a few friends who always have to unplug their dsl modem and reboot it. Are there any specific dsl modems that work better than others. The dd-wrt will be configured with pppoe, and I need to make sure we have a dsl modem that never crashes or at least very very little and can handle heavy traffic without locking up.

I am open to any suggestions you guys might have.
Sponsor
jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the wrong section but look for a Speedtouch 516 dsl modem. I use one and never have to reset it.
westvandude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might help if the modem isn't hard locking, use the KEEP ALIVE feature, select your ISP's DNS IP or google IP and 240secs. It polls the IP, if no connection resets WAN. Works for me. But depends on what the prob is with the modem.
Traulinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's going to depend on the provider in the area. Not all DSL modems work with all providers, necessarily. I work for a company that interfaces with ISPs on other companies, behalf, so I am very familiar with most major DSL providers in the states.

Since you are going to be putting the PPPoE information in the router, them modem will need to be in bridge mode. Some providers have bridge-only modems. This has the HUGE benefit of never having to worry about the modem getting reset and then needing to be reconfigured. Some modems, such as the Motorola 2210, tend to be a bit flaky and will even de-bridge\factory reset themselves if they take a power surge, etc. Plus, you never know when some unsuspecting employee will hit the reset button on the modem if you ask them to power cycle.

Verizon has a bridge-only modem called the Westell 6110. This would be a great option if it is available for your service provider. Just ask. They should be able to tell you.

Better yet, who is the service provider and I can probably make a suggestion?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Traulinger wrote:

Better yet, who is the service provider and I can probably make a suggestion?

Would u happen to know what model is good for AT&T DSL?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Traulinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Would u happen to know what model is good for AT&T DSL?

If you plan on placing it in bridge mode and putting the PPPoE credentials on the router, you're best bet is probably the Motorola 2210.

I know I was knocking it earlier, but I've actually go the same at home and it functions quite well (meaning it hasn't ever reset itself). I would avoid the 2 Wire gateways they often send out to home residents. They are bridgeable, but they tend to be a bit less reliable. AT&T also sends out a business class wireless modem\router combo called the Motorola (Netopia) 3347. This is a great router with tons of features, but if you plan on bridging it, the extra cost is worthless.

AT&T is an interesting situation, because the modem type various based on region. Remember, AT&T was formerly SBC, BellSouth, Ameritech, AT&T, etc. and the regions still function somewhat independently. Also, each region varies to some degree in service connection type (Dynamic, PPPoE, Static, etc.) so the modems vary as well.

Some regions are sending out the Westell F90 or V90 or something like that. It's actually a Westell 6100, which is not a bridge-only modem, but can be bridged and is a good option.

Additionally, some regions have the Broadxent (Brightport) 8012. I mostly see these on dynamic circuits and they are bridge only modems as well. I've never tried to use one here in PPPoE land, so I'm not sure how it would behave.

Now don't quote me on this, because when we get a modem for a customer from an ISP, it's always provided by the ISP, so we know it's going to function with their service. However (and someone with even more knowledge can chime in) technically speaking, you should be able to use any ADSL modem on any ADSL circuit. If the modem is bridged, it's acting as a dummy anyway, so there shouldn't be an issue. Alternatively, if you are using the modem to authenticate, you will need to make sure the VCI settings match your old DSL modem, or you're going to have issues.

Hope that helps.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Traulinger Big Thanks, very helpful, although i do not have DSL anymore, i use cable now, but i setup alot of DSL/dd-wrt routers for my n00b friends, and yea i know what your saying about region wise, used to be southwestern bell here, now its at&t and they seem to control everything phone line wise here.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Traulinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
@Traulinger Big Thanks, very helpful, although i do not have DSL anymore, i use cable now, but i setup alot of DSL/dd-wrt routers for my n00b friends, and yea i know what your saying about region wise, used to be southwestern bell here, now its at&t and they seem to control everything phone line wise here.

No problem at all. Hopefully the information will be helpful to some people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: