"Killer Nic" compatability

Hitman_Forhire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 19:45    Post subject: "Killer Nic" compatability Reply with quote
I've recently seen a new network card coming out that should really show a significant difference in througput if you were able to use a few of these in a router. Here's the site:

http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/KillerAboutSpecs.aspx

It's a PCI card that has a 400mhz proc in it running embedded linux, I am thinking of purchasing a few if I would be able to throw them in an x86 box. I'm sure they're not supported right now but if someone doesn't mind doing a little poking, I was wondering how likely it is for support for this card to be added.

-Hitman

Sponsor
traxxus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sry but the Killer NIC is realy idiocy.
Hitman_Forhire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought to at first, but then I saw the benchmarks.

23% through put in FEAR
41% performance increase in Wow.

I admit there is some retarded marketing attached to it, but in theory it holds up a legitmate argument, doing all of the processing on the card rather than on the CPU of the host machine.

http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/KillerAboutGameplay.aspx

merlyn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hitman_Forhire wrote:
I thought to at first, but then I saw the benchmarks.

23% through put in FEAR
41% performance increase in Wow.

41 percent um no. More like 5-10 percent according to anandtech's website review.
They go so far as saying overclocking your computer by 5 percent will have the same impact on your gaming experiece.

read the whole review.
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2865

The windows version was plauged with slow windows boot times, slow windows explorer load times etc. They are continually working on the drivers to imrove on them and many say they are much better now, but I don't own one so I cannot say.

You can expect the linux drivers to suck when the linux version comes out. WHo knows how long it will take for them to get them optimised to work with any or all version of linux.

I don't think the killer nic is a bad product, they just need more time to make it right. Maybee the killer nic version 2 (if they make one) will be a more stable product.

hope this helps

Merlyn
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
you must really have slow computer to see any benefits. a standard line pc from today can do many gigabit wireless cards with full speed at the same time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
all this is a Linux core running a tcp offload engine attached to a gigabit nic, high end servers have been using these for quite some time; this is, however, a cheaper alternative.

which brings a thought BS, if you see enough dd-wrt (mostly x86) boxes with multiple gig nics or a sizable amount of 100mbps nics you may want to support an offload engine or, hell, even the killernic. you may even be able to make some dd-wrt specific modules for the linux distro inside.

this seems far off in the future though
Hitman_Forhire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, thanks, that was the type of information I was looking for, especially if high end servers have been doing this for a while; I could just get some of those cards. The fact is, I just haven't seen anything like this before and I could definately see where the performance difference would shine through, I just haven't ever seen it before. Thanks to all,

-Hitman

saivert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:05    Post subject: is this new? Reply with quote
Most high end NICs from Intel and 3com already does TCP/IP offloading tasks like generating checksums and so on. All multi-port NICs use a decent I/O processing unit which is like a embedded CPU and it also has a heatsink.

I don't see the point of this Killer Nic. no really I don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I'm pretty sure after digging around some that I agree...I think it would be it would be great to make a thread of some of the highest/best performance nics out there within a reasonable price...I'm going to start looking into that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: