Limitations of 8mb ram and 2mb flash (wrt54g v5.0)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
blitzlash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Limitations of 8mb ram and 2mb flash (wrt54g v5.0) Reply with quote
hi everyone,

i need to know the limitations of the router wrt54g v5.0 compared to other versions that have 16mb ram and 4mb flash.

my purpose is to use this router as a repeater, so i would like to know if there is a problem adquiring this router with 8mb ram and 2mb flash.

Saludos
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
it will work fine as a repeater.

Problem is the "limited" routers, you don't have a lot of options / features cuz they are limited to running only micro builds due to the flash size.

High connection counts like running torrents, the 8mb ram fills up and the router spends a lot of time managing the limited amount of ram so connections slow.

the neutered routers work just fine in a home environment and / or a small office environment when used as a gateway / dhcp server with a few clients.

it will work just fine as a client bridge, repeater bridge, access point & switch, etc..

Navigation

Jump to: