Making the router accept connections from a different subnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Hamy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:24    Post subject: Making the router accept connections from a different subnet Reply with quote
Hey guys

I have an Asus router with dd-wrt firmware running on gateway mode (lets call it Router1) and my setup is like this:
WAN port is connected and pppoe connection is up.
LAN1 has the ip address of 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0
now i have another router(Router2) with the ip of 192.168.10.2 connected to LAN1, this router(Router2) is also connected to 3 other networks and its perfectly capable of routing the traffics between them. the networks are : 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0, 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 , 192.168.5.0/255.255.255.0 . now routing between them works perfectly. what i want to do is make the Router1 to accept the connections from these networks which have been routed by Router2. and i don't want to use NAT. i want those networks could access to the WAN with their real ips.

What I have tried so far:
1- setting the Router1 ip to 192.168.10.1/255.255.0.0 to include all those other subnets. Result: Failed. maybe because the subnet is not match with other networks

2- setting the gateway in "Router IP" in Router1 to 192.168.10.2 . Result: Failed. this gateway was not even showed up in the routing table. maybe because i already have a gateway (pppoe connection)

3- adding a static routes with destination matching other networks (with and without gateway) . result: Failed

(The firewall was off for all tests)

I would really appropriate if someone could help me out.

Best Regards
Hamy
Sponsor
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You cannot use local IP addresses 192.168.x.x across the internet, you need a real IP address, so I don't see how you can avoid nat on the second router with the pppoe connection.

One way to get the main router to allow connections from a different local lan is to assign its lan port a secondary IP in the range of the second router using, for example,

Code:
ifconfig br0:0 192.168.10.4.254

A better way would be to use the web gui to separate the lan ports into vlans, then you could apply further iptables/route commands based on source interface.
Hamy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
You cannot use local IP addresses 192.168.x.x across the internet, you need a real IP address, so I don't see how you can avoid nat on the second router with the pppoe connection.

I do not intend to not use nat in Router1 . ofc i need nat to be able to access to the internet, i just dont want to use nat in Router2 to be able to connect to Router1. Thank you for your response. right now seems i messed up my connection to the router with wrong vlan settings Confused . Ill try that tomorrow and get back to you.

Best Regards
Hamy
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router 1 needs a route to router 2's subnet and router 2 need to be configured with router 1 as its gateway. You probably entered the static route incorrectly before.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes

Hamy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Router 1 needs a route to router 2's subnet and router 2 need to be configured with router 1 as its gateway. You probably entered the static route incorrectly before.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes

Oh my. it did work! I did not know that you could set a gateway out of your subnet and it would work. Thanks man, you made my life easier.

and thank you mstombs, seems i need to learn a lot about VLANs and all ;)

Best Regards
Hamy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: