Suggestion: DD-WRT Repeater Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
gnnash
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:53    Post subject: Suggestion: DD-WRT Repeater Version Reply with quote
Well, I hate to sound n00bish, and I do realize that BrainSlayer and everyone else have a lot more to worry about, but I want to propose a DD-WRT Repeater Version.

I am one of the many unfortunate owners of v5/v6 WRT54G. I realize that the limitations of this HW version make firmware writing difficult, but I believe it would be very possible to make a repeater with a flash of under 2MB.

After looking on the forums for firmware like this, I see that it is very much in demand for everyone, not only v5/v6 users. The new Multiple SSID feature in v24 is an answer to these demands, but is not avaliable for 2MB users.

A strictly repeater firmware would not require Qos, UPnP, Access Restrictions, Firewall, VPN, WDS, WAN port, or many of the other features that are squeezed into the current DD-WRT Micro. These could be controlled by the host router. All that would be required is Multiple SSID repeating, and a LAN bridge if memory permits. On a v1-v4 router, this repeater firmware would run with very little ram requirements, resulting in a faster connection.

Please consider this suggestion. If anyone who thinks this would be a good idea could post that here, it would be appreciated, to show the great desire for this.

Thank you
Sponsor
shunt010
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a good though, but I think you could achieve what you want with scripts probably based on WDS.

If you have a look at my post recently, would that not solve the problem if a script could be developed?
gnnash
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
While WDS can be great, what I am looking for is the true Multiple SSID repeater that is available in v24. With this, the radio in the router acts as two radios, with one being a client to a network while the other creates an access point, effectively making a repeater that can be used with any 802.11B/G network.

I do realize that WDS can be used to make a sudo-repeater, but WDS is notoriously incompatible with other hardware, as it is not an industry standard.
rabidwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really like this idea. Is it possible? You could put an outdoor antenna to link a network in another building while having an access point indoors!
gnnash
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope it is possible, if anyone could spread this to one of the developers, that would be great. I will PM brainslayer.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the problem is that the latest broadcom driver alone is 900kb. this could be a tricky task

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would love it. maybe to generate interest put it in the 'customer' section?
gnnash
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could be completely wrong, but I would think you would need little more than the driver, busybox, and a kernel.

Leaving out extra features and making this a stand alone repeater should be no problem, as long as the developers are willing to spend some time on this, even though their lives are already busy.

Looking in the download pages for the x86 build, I see that there is a lot of time spent on it. I believe there is actually MORE desire among many dd-wrt customers for an idea such as this than there is for the x86 build.

All one has to do is look on the forums to see the many people with ideas like this.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is not true. i share all my time for all projects. all the feature you've seen in the x86 version are within the broadcom version too. these are just new ports to extend the usability of dd-wrt and to make it more professional.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, Brainslayer. I did not mean to offend you or the way you work on your projects.

Do you think that it would be possible to make some time to work on this?

Or, does anyone else have the knowledge to attempt a firmware like this?[/quote]
gnnash
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
After wrestling with a finicky WDS connection all day today, I hope to revive this topic.
sarcasticswede
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to be a spammer, but I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any new developments.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it seems that nobody cares about the unfortunate v5/v6 owners Sad *sigh*

I realize that I should get a v4 or something off of ebay, but I still think that a pure, perhaps automatic repeater firmware would be a great addition to the DD-WRT project.

I am still open to ANYONE who could make this possible, even if it is a custom built version.
kuthulu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm one of those v6 unfortunate owners...
it would be really great to have a micro reapeater for v5 v6.... as gnnash said if the problem in developing a micro like this is size and memory, then just leave all features out of this build.

hope some developer start to play with a micro with repeater mode for v5 v6..
readingalot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ability to buy a wrt54GL for only $52 (including rebate till Feb 28th) at NewEgg, made me chuck my v6 G for the GL because of the ability to use it as a repeater.

Thanks BS!
Very Happy
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: