WRT160NL How-To setup FTP nas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 15:50    Post subject: WRT160NL How-To setup FTP nas Reply with quote
You will need an external hdd and a linux computer.

Step 1: Format
On the HDD format 4 partitions in this order:
part1 ext3 2GB name jffs
part2 ext3 2GB name opt
part3 swap 256mb
part4 ext3 Whatever you have left name data

Step 2: Enable USB Support
Click the Services tab and click usb enable everything except usb printing (You can check usb printing if you followed my how-to for it, I have the hdd and printer working through hub without issue.). Apply Settings

Step 3: Set mount at boot.
In the web GUI go to administration>>>commands and paste the following and click save startup.

Code:

sleep 10 && mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /jffs
sleep 10 && mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /opt
sleep 10 && mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /mnt

Step 4: Enable ftp
In the web GUI, click services then click nas. Click enable proftpd, click enable next to allow write, enter user names and passwords, one per line. ex
Code:

jonathon password

Apply settings.

Step 5: Reload the router

Step 6: You can now connect to your usb drive via your internal router ip via your favorite ftp client (mine being windows explorer for this instance)

You can use multiple hard-drives but you will need to deal with the device mappings. Once you get the mappings down you can cheat by adding a symlink to the second drive inside the /mnt folder. But, come on, this thing is so low powered, more than one drive being accessed at once may choke it. I have yet to try to setup 2 usb printers. It is theoretically possible, but you will have to take into account that the device mappings can change dependent upon order your printers are plugged in.

If only I could get samba, swap, and transmission working, this would be one neat little router.

Please note: OPTware and Swap partitions currently DO NOT work on this router. But I'm hopeful so make those partitions anyways. Due to lack of swap if someone can get Transmission installed (I can, but I have yet to compile in the patch to keep it working) it will quickly use up your memory and very likely crash. Dependent on how motivated I am, I may fix the swap issue which in turn would motivate me to fix the transmission issue. Also, I have yet to get any samba install to work correctly, i'll open another thread if I get any of the above working.
Sponsor
AlxMAX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Transfer rates... Reply with quote
Could you, please, tell some transfer rates between a PC and a hard disk through the router?
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:16    Post subject: Speeds Reply with quote
Using WinSCP as my ftp client, I am able to get a constant 10.4 Mbyte/second (Almost maxing out the 100mbit Ethernet). A 1 gig file takes a little over 1.5 minutes to transfer. Not bad if you just want an always on share that doesn't suck the power down like my 12hdd NAS.
sbilge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for good informations @antidelldude.

Please tell me, how to setup samba?
I have a dreambox hd receiver and WDTVLive. WDTV is mounting good. But i can't mount dreambox for record.

Regards..
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
To install samba you will need to use OpenWRT. No-one has gotten samba to work with dd-wrt on this device. I can confirm samba works on OpenWRT.
peterwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to antidelldude for the posts.
Is there really no way to invoke samba on the wrt160nl ?
Did you get anny new things?
I did also fail up to now to find a package compiled for linux 2.6.24.111, which is used by dd-wrt.
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dumped dd-wrt on that device months ago. After pulling my hair out for a period of time trying to get stuff to work, I came to the realization that dd-wrt doesn't support swap space which made me stop right there. OpenWRT has been humming along for a while now and it only took 15 minutes to get EVERYTHING working. Samba, swap, and transmission.
momchetoi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
antidelldude, could you please write a short how-to on installing openwrt, samba and ftp on wrt160nl.
10x
anees.sw
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
how does the build 15692 do with adsl on wrt160nl?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: