question to all special users

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
LaZyPhOoL wrote:
I think having the nickname embedded into the firmwares a good idea. But if the special custoimers base gets too large would you want to do it for each and everyone? At least that's my guess how you're gonna do it. Each special version compiled specifically with our names on it to everyone of us?? Or only upon request for updates? But if that is the case, why not something more severe? The last four digits of our payment info??? Or more. Just a thought. This way it ensures that he/she really won't want to spread it.

thats not that problem. yes every image will be customized. but our servers are strong and is far now 100 people are clicking the button at the same time i dont think its a problem.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:26    Post subject: seems like a lot of work..... Reply with quote
It sucks that someone would do that but it seems like a lot of work to actually add the users name to the file at the time of download, not to mention what kind of bugz it could potentially introduce.

For one thing you would have to encrypt the name to stop the boneheads with a simple hex editor, or even if its encrypted if it’s in the same spot in the image they could do a compare, you would have to spread it out.

I would think that you would be better off issuing us a serial # and just track those. I don't know, I'm new here......just voicing my opinion.
dg9ekc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
habe auch nix dagegen.

Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/13/06) special Registriert für DG9EKC
Zeit: 20:40:25 up 4:04, load average: 0.13, 0.05, 0.00

würde auch noch gut aussehen Very Happy

dg9ekc Cool
McDope
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mir ist es egal...
wenn es dir/euch/ddwrt hilft gerne.

allerdings zweifel ich stark an der wirksamkeit, wer will findet das schon wo bzw. wie er es wieder rausbekommt

CaScAdE wrote:

Bin ich schon so alt das ich zu ner generation gehoere die selbst google nutzen kann und manpages liest bevor ich fragen stelle?
rowie75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 14:08    Post subject: Von mir aus.... Reply with quote
Ich finde das eine sehr gute Idee, war ja auch zu erwarten!!!

....denn sie ist vom Meister selbst!

Lg,

Ronny
Lucky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kannst du es vielleicht so machen das man zwischen richtigem Namen und Nickname wählen kann? Das wäre cool. Ich würd nämlich gerne evtl meinen richtigen Namen drin haben :)

Lucky
seufer_wolle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also ich find es auch völlig in Ordnung!
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ja. mache ich aber erst wenn ich die sp3 jetzt soweit fertig habe das ich sie auf euch loslassen kann ohne ein schlechtes gewissen zu kriegen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ist das baaald ? Very Happy
McDope
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
traxxus wrote:
Ist das baaald ? Very Happy

it's done when it's done Very Happy

CaScAdE wrote:

Bin ich schon so alt das ich zu ner generation gehoere die selbst google nutzen kann und manpages liest bevor ich fragen stelle?
songokussm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would like it and could help prevent redistribution.
jungwirth-media
Donator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
das ich sie auf euch loslassen kann ohne ein schlechtes gewissen zu kriegen

Da fühlt man sich wohl, gespendet zu haben Smile

Thx und freue mich auf die "branded"-Special Wink

Zyxel P-660H-D1
Netgear Switch 16 Port
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7170
Linksys SPA-2102
Pirelli PRGAV4202N
Mac-User
ronin
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ich finde es auch ok. wenns hilft sollte man es machen
Omnispring
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that this is a great idea.
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not crazy about this idea. In fact, the only problem i see with somebody distributing the firmware is the missing source code that would make it comply with the GPL. Even though i don't condone distribution of the special version, i don't agree with trying to add protections to it.. same goes for the special x86 version.

Anyways, i don't mind adding the username in there for the time being. I also think there are better ways out there to make a profit out of GPLed software. BS, you have a great supportive community out here and we are more then happy to help you but remember not to cross that fine line between GPL and.... sveasoft.

Regards,

Adi

P.S. Can't wait for the new SP3 and v24 offcial versions to update my routers to. Will donate 10$ as usual for each of the routers that i installed DD-WRT on. (Currently 5 Smile)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: