New linksys

daragaard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 21:50    Post subject: New linksys Reply with quote
I'm getting a new (well 2nd hand) linksys.
it's going to be WRT54GS (not sure what version.).

I have a WRT54Gv2 and also a V5 both running DD-WRT.
now i was doing some digging and saw that the GS model from it's V5 on is like the regular 54G in memory and flash and so on and it got me worried, am i going to face all the crap i get from the V5? (resetting it self all the time, rebooting when traffic is over flowing it and so on).

or is it a "stable" version from V5 and on?
and what would you use as your "front" device that connect to the internet and do most of the hard work?
Keep the V2 at the front and WSD the rest to the V2? or can i use the GS as front?
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
crap

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
wizandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a wrt54GS off newegg a few days ago. When i flash it, i'll let you know if i have any problems.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Re: New linksys Reply with quote
daragaard wrote:
I have a WRT54Gv2 and also a V5 both running DD-WRT. now i was doing some digging and saw that the GS model from it's V5 on is like the regular 54G in memory and flash and so on and it got me worried, am i going to face all the crap i get from the V5? (resetting it self all the time, rebooting when traffic is over flowing it and so on).

WRT54G v5+ only have 8MB which is why they crash if you don't configure them to prevent it. WRT54GS v5+ have 16MB RAM so they run stable, but they're limited in features due to the 2MB flash.

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21    Post subject: Re: New linksys Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
WRT54G v5+ only have 8MB which is why they crash if you don't configure them to prevent it. WRT54GS v5+ have 16MB RAM so they run stable, but they're limited in features due to the 2MB flash.
Yea, that's what I said. crap :lol:

EDIT: My personal opinion is that 2MB-8MB devices work good in wap, client and client bridge mode. 2MB-16MB device work good in client, client bridge, repeater, repeater bridge and wds. Nether make good gateways if you have any kind of load. But, that is my opinion.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
daragaard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04    Post subject: Re: New linksys Reply with quote
[quote="phuzi0n"]
daragaard wrote:

So how do you configure it not to crash?
It's a WDS client and dose nothing other then that, no FIrewall, no NAT no nothing it's totally dependent on the WRT54gV2 and nothing.
i lowered the XT to 120 so it will not load the device,and nothing else.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 20:54    Post subject: Re: New linksys Reply with quote
daragaard wrote:
So how do you configure it not to crash?

It's mainly 8MB devices being used as gateways that crash, but there are a few things that you can disable to free up RAM for any configuration.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Insufficient_ram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: