Asus WL500w automatic reboot at midnight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
stillwater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok... looks like I spoke too soon. Just tested now nvram commit and the router rebooted. I also looked at the capacitors and they all looked good (both inside the power adapter and in the router). I'm not an expert by any means, but none of them looked "fat" or were leaking. I have taken pictures of them and will upload them tomorrow to the site (would appreciate if I could have a second pair of eyes have a look at them). I think it is time for me to try nvram erase step, but it wouldn't run... is it the exact command for flushing the nvram? if I restore defaults from the web interface will it flush the nvram?
Sponsor
stillwater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok. Running

nvram unset sshd_dss_host_key
nvram unset sshd_rsa_host_key
nvram commit

did solve one of my problems - now the router reboots fine. Also I think there might have been a problem with one of my LAN cables - if I rebooted with that cable plugged into the router - all of the light would blink and the router would reboot. Though after I could use it fine after the router booted up...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you want to clear all of the nvram the command is

erase nvram

or

mtd erase nvram

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
stillwater wrote:
ok. Running

nvram unset sshd_dss_host_key
nvram unset sshd_rsa_host_key
nvram commit

did solve one of my problems - now the router reboots fine. Also I think there might have been a problem with one of my LAN cables - if I rebooted with that cable plugged into the router - all of the light would blink and the router would reboot. Though after I could use it fine after the router booted up...

There has been problems with big ssh/vpn keys reported in the past for the WL-500W.
If you have ttraff data collection enabled then you will also get it stored daily to nvram at midnight.
There is probably the nvram commit that reboots your router..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this....turn off the Traffic grapher and see if it gets through a night.

Services>>Services and Disable the WAN Traffic Counter.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
traf was my first choice. I disabled it and the reboots did stop at midnight, but it was still rebooting at some other time (maybe something was writing to nvram?). Yesterday router would reboot almost every half an hour. I didn't see anything in the logs when it occured. I used the watch cat /var/log/messages but I didn't see anything in the logs before the crash. Is there any other way to investigate what is causing the crash? (I deleted and restarted my rtorrent download - and that seemed to stop the crash that would occur almost every half an hour...)
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
stillwater wrote:
traf was my first choice. I disabled it and the reboots did stop at midnight, but it was still rebooting at some other time (maybe something was writing to nvram?). Yesterday router would reboot almost every half an hour. I didn't see anything in the logs when it occured. I used the watch cat /var/log/messages but I didn't see anything in the logs before the crash. Is there any other way to investigate what is causing the crash? (I deleted and restarted my rtorrent download - and that seemed to stop the crash that would occur almost every half an hour...)

Alright...just because your caps look good...doesn't mean that there isn't a power problem.

Get a volt meter. With the power plugged in...check it on the motherboard. Make sure you have +5V. You will likely see problems if the power is outside of a 4.75-5.25V window....also, watch the power when you do an "nvram commit".....see if it is loaded down outside that window.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question regarding erasing nvram. Do you know if it is a good thing to do on my router? I read the wiki below and it says I might need to reflash it...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

As for the voltmeter - I have one at home. I checked the voltage that power adapter gives - it was 5.20. But nothing was connected to the power supply... Just for fun I tested the other 5v power supply without anything else connected to it - and it showed 5.20 as well. Do you know where exactly I need to check for voltage on the motherboard? pictures would be really helpful...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its a side view...sorry I don't have a better picture...but this is a side view of the power connector on the mobo....green circle is for ground...and red circle is for +5V.

NOTE: see the domes on my old caps....this is model where I initially found the cap problem.

redhawk

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.76 KB
 Viewed:  9585 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another question - do you know if it is possible to make traf daemon write information to the hard drive instead of the NVRAM? It is not a big deal for me to that that daemon running, but still, kind a nice to see how much was downloaded...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
stillwater wrote:
Another question - do you know if it is possible to make traf daemon write information to the hard drive instead of the NVRAM? It is not a big deal for me to that that daemon running, but still, kind a nice to see how much was downloaded...

No...not currently...but it has been suggested to the devs several times to make the output file location selectable.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Its a side view...sorry I don't have a better picture...but this is a side view of the power connector on the mobo....green circle is for ground...and red circle is for +5V.

NOTE: see the domes on my old caps....this is model where I initially found the cap problem.

redhawk

New Folder.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  New Folder.zip
 Filesize:  6.24 MB
 Downloaded:  504 Time(s)

stillwater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took pictures of the capacitors both from the router itself and from the power supply. Can you please check if they look good to you? I took pictures from several angles just so you could see every detail... Thank you for your help!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
unknown file format...I can't open any .jpg files (I can extract them...but they all come up as 0 Bytes.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used winzip to zip it. Originally it was zipx extension of the archive, but the site doesn't allow that type of extensions so I just changed it to winzip. Tried to open it after that with 7zip and I could see the files...
This time I used 7-zip to create the zip file. I've attached it to the post. Please let me know if you have troubles opening it.

Thank you!

New Folder.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  New Folder.zip
 Filesize:  8.07 MB
 Downloaded:  605 Time(s)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: