PPTP dialup to ISP with numeours dialup servers

pavelgr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:39    Post subject: PPTP dialup to ISP with numeours dialup servers Reply with quote
some ISP's use numerous servers for dial-up, and when resolving ISP hostname to an IP, you get a list of IP's.
in order to balance load between dialup servers, these IP's are reordered almost at each time the hostname is resolved.

when dialing up using pptp, ISP hostname gets resolved twise, first time by dhcp client, and second time by pptp itself when dialing.

the problem is that when ISP hostname is resolved to two different IP's the routing table becomes invalid (because its build with the first ISP resolved IP, and not the one that pptp actually dialed to), obviously such connection doesn't work.

one solution is to update options file of pptp prior to dialing up.

the attached patch implements the above and fixes the issue.
i had also cleaned up a bit the whole pptp dial up sequence, from dhcp to setting the routes.
one more thing, some ISP's actually do use compression protocols such VJ, thus i also had updated pptp options file not to forbid the usage of such protocols.

hope this helps.

this is an X-post, original is at bugtracker:
0003389: PPTP dialup to ISP with numeours dialup servers

here is the patch:
http://rapidshare.com/files/151980890/services.patch.html
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
you just need to set pptp encryption to "enable" which is available as option if you set wan connection to pptp. everything else like dhcp for pptp works too. pptp does also resolv the name by round robin as specified. since this resolv is done by the initial dhcp connection, its hard for me to understand what you want. it will always resolv the correct working server

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, it's been two years since i had posted that bug.

and it was actually fixed in one of the commits since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: