Linksys WRE54G Range Expander broadcom FOUND!! Runs LINUX!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
mediavieja wrote:
aight, 2 questions

1)I don't know the exact answer! You should look for smth similar and smth different, analyse, etc... There's some (not much) info in the web about marvell chipsets (as they generally suck), try to search everything!
This might be a helpful link http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WL%2D530G#h8 for firmware investigation.
2)You have Ethernet! And also your PCB seems to have either JTAG or Serial console, you just need to find it. Using serial console, it's usually possible to access bootloader and issue some commands.

You see, nobody has ever done anything in your case (WRE V3 -> WL-330g), my advices are just guesses, but it is you and only you who will do your job.
When i started dd-wrt playing with my WRE54G, i had not found much info too, and not even a ready-to-use firmware image! Nobody helped me, i just started my own investigation, comparing, searching, i installed HEX editor for the first time in my life! And the result was ready-to-flash-via-web firmware image for the unit. Now it's your turn, i wish you luck! Exclamation Arrow
Sponsor
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe aight Smile ill do my best Razz oh btw, i read ur post of what u did to the firmware but u didnt said what did u change by changing those 00's on the original firmware, what did u find on both to know what to change on the other?
cpgilleytech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
dvlad666 wrote:
Yes, that's more than you need:)
Your chip is MX29LV800C, right? Then it's 1'048'576 x 8 that means 1 megabyte, so my congratulations, you can theoretically upload the 1meg firmware!

Now it's your time, i can't assist you any further, cause i have none of that units.
Check the CPUs used, check RAM sizes, then start comparing firmwares and then, if the web interface refuses to take an upload, try TFTP or smth.
Anyways, WRE54G V2 and V3 are toys, I would not spare them Smile
... what do you mean about them being toys
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess he means that they are useless for anything less than this "possible mod" of converting it from a repeater to an access point, but yet no one has done it so far.
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
bazzoola wrote:
If you have a how-to I can follow to give you what you need. I will be glad.
Thanks again!

hello bazzoola,
have you figured out the correct gpio's and send results to eko?
bazzoola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="cybero2912"]
hello bazzoola,
have you figured out the correct gpio's and send results to eko?[/quote]

I am sorry no.

This expander is not actually in my house it is in my parent's. I couldn't get them to try out the I/O's lately. I guess I will post some results next time I travel there.
Jozer99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey all,

I had 3 of these WRE54G v1's laying around, and I flashed them all with DD-WRT.

Thanks dvlad for you work on making this possible. Do you mind if I make a tutorial where I gather together the information in this thread into one easy to follow tutorial?

Also, I noticed that after flashing, all the WRE54Gs had the same MAC address, and it is not the original MAC address written on the back label. Is there any way to change the MAC address back to the original? I know the WRT54GS had a similar issue, and there was a utility that could generate firmware patches to fix the MAC.
Jozer99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished installing DD-WRT on three of these babies, and now I wrote up a tutorial for anyone else who wants to try:

http://jozerworx.com/tutorials/wre54g/default.htm

Let me know what you guys think.
bluefoxox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 22:09    Post subject: WRE54G V1 and DD-WRT Reply with quote
I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the DD-WRT modifications made thru the v24 flash on my WRE54G V1. I followed the tutorials

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

this worked rigth away. I did have to follow the trouble shooting steps in the second tutorial submited by Ottoxgam in order to access both the router and the repeater thru a web browser. The range, speed, reliability and power have all been increased greatly. What an amazing hack! Thank you very much =)
SixFortySix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
bazzoola wrote:
cybero2912 wrote:

hello bazzoola,
have you figured out the correct gpio's and send results to eko?

I am sorry no.

This expander is not actually in my house it is in my parent's. I couldn't get them to try out the I/O's lately. I guess I will post some results next time I travel there.

Please see

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=436180#436180

for WRE54G GPIO location points.

Last edited by SixFortySix on Fri Apr 30, 2010 22:00; edited 1 time in total
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You do not need to advertise in one thread about another.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
SixFortySix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
You do not need to advertise in one thread about another.

Uh... I'm not advertising... I replied to a users request by forwarding him to another post, thus keeping the forums clean by not double posting. Wink or taking up the server's space adding the same attachment in two locations...
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
cpgilleytech wrote:

what do you mean about them being toys

Well, just that they are pretty useless given the limitations of hardware and lack of firmware updates.

Jozer99 wrote:

I had 3 of these WRE54G v1's laying around, and I flashed them all with DD-WRT.

Thanks dvlad for you work on making this possible. Do you mind if I make a tutorial where I gather together the information in this thread into one easy to follow tutorial?

Glad i helped you that much! Sure i don't, you'll help community a lot if you make a tutorial. You're welcome to use my image and any other data. Sure, you may put my name near it Rolling Eyes

Jozer99 wrote:
Also, I noticed that after flashing, all the WRE54Gs had the same MAC address, and it is not the original MAC address written on the back label. Is there any way to change the MAC address back to the original?

I'm sure there is, have a look at the WIKI, for WAP54G and earlier WRT54Gs, there somewhere were at lease 2.5 ways of doing it (NVRAM mod, CFE mod, etc.)

Jozer99 wrote:
I wrote up a tutorial for anyone else who wants to try:
Let me know what you guys think.

Oh,really? =)) And i answered previous posts before having this read Very Happy
OK, what do i think?
First, this is really good one for dummies from 7 to 70, coveres the complete process of IT rubbish recycling.
Second, i did like Donate buttons everywhere. Have you earned a buck? Cool
Third,you mention eny firmware under 2Mb. Actually NO!. I bricked my WRE with micro-plus firmware, so you should explicitly mention it there IMHO. Max firmware size Arrow peacock thread. WRE does not have compressed CFE, it has usual 256K one.
akcam2006
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 0:28    Post subject: Help Reply with quote
I followed the instructions and everything seemed to be working great until the final firmware upgrade. Then something must have happened and no my WRE54G v1 seems to be bricked.

Any ideas how to unbrick it?

Does anyone know what the final pin outs were for the serial connector on this board?
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as i remember, pinouts in this thread are final and OK. But you're always mwelcome to take a multimeter and verify the pins:)

What FW did you upload? If it's greater in size than standard micro, you're stuck (like i was), see peackock thread and find an aswer.

Also wrong driver (VINT/NEWD....) i suppose can break smth. I'd use vint with wre.

If you've uploaded really wrong FW, i thing in serial console you'll be stuck at CFE. If not, then you should be able to issue some commands to the unit and resurrect it.

Wish you luck! Arrow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: