WRT160NL Print Server How-TO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 0:34    Post subject: WRT160NL Print Server How-TO Reply with quote
After a few hours of tinkering I have compiled information from the following sources (and some of my own ingenuity) to share my printer successfully:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Printer_Sharing#Print_server

http://wl520gu.googlepages.com/

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=388044&sid=46ad4111c1ab1559c78c7f3ed32ac3e1

Prerequisites:
You know what SSH is and how to use it
You know what a terminal is and how to use it
Your router has an internet connection, and if you are using it as an access point (like me) you will need to figure out how to get those files into the jffs folder on your own.

Web Interface steps 1-3 and 5:

Step 1: Enable JFFS
On the Administration>>>Management tab scroll down and click enable under jffs2 and disable on clean jffs. Apply Settings

Step 2: Enable SSH
Click the Services tab and click enable under secure shell. Apply Settings

Step 3: Enable USB Support
Click the Services tab and click usb enable everything except usb storage. Apply Settings

Step 4: SSH into the router and enter the following.
Code:

cd /jffs
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/atheros/packages/p910nd_0.93-1_atheros.ipk
ipkg install p910nd_0.93-1_atheros.ipk
rm p910nd_0.93-1_atheros.ipk

Step 5: Launch p910nd on startup
In the web interface, click tab administration tab then click commands. Enter the following code and click "save startup".
Code:

/jffs/usr/sbin/p910nd -b -f /dev/usb/lp0 0
/bin/mkdir -m 755 -p /dev/usb
/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/usb/lp0 c 180 0

Step 6: Connecting to the Print server on windows computers.

Add a new printer, choose Local Printer. Choose Create a new Standard TCP/IP Port. Set the IP address to the IP of the router. (192.168.1.1 by default) Protocol should be RAW, Port number 9100. Install the correct drivers for the printer.

Let me know how it goes guys. And thanks to everyone that I took tidbits from.

USB Storage coexistence will be next on my list coupled with Optware. Then I will be moving on to transmission and samba. If I get any of it working, you can bet I will post a How-To here.
Sponsor
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should add this to the wiki. Thanks BTW.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really appreciate your effort and clear directions. I hope to get samba, print server and ftp running on my router once dd-wrt is finally ported onto my router. Its really helpful having all the commands in order especially those of us without much experience with such commands and setup.

Thanks!
sbilge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all. I am waiting "how to install usb storage", impatiently.

Quote:
USB Storage coexistence will be next on my list coupled with Optware. Then I will be moving on to transmission and samba. If I get any of it working, you can bet I will post a How-To here.
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a little bit of reading, it doesn't look like any of the optware packages are made for the atheros chipset. This just made my lifea whole lot harder.

Transmission for Bit Torrent started up the first time and now I get an error. I have found the offender in the code and have created an openwrt build environment for this chipset. I will be able to deal with that tomorrow and see if I get anywhere.

I have been screwing with openwrt packages for a little while and have hit a brick wall. I can install Samba 3. I can make my config file, but when I try to start smbd and nmbd as a daemon, they don't. I start them with debugging and they give absolutely no information.

I'm not giving up yet. If anyone has some light to shed, please do.
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 15:58    Post subject: ftp nas Reply with quote
Haven't had any luck enabling the swap, getting samba to load, or getting transmission working. BUT I did write a how-to to setup an FTP nas.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=423470#423470

I think the only thing I am going to continue to pursue is samba. It looks like I may have to custom compile a version, since FTP works so well, I don't know how much longer I am going to work on it.

The swap file may be easier but I would have to custom compile busybox with the swapon function enabled so swap-utils would work. Does anyone know if there was a reason for not including swapon in the current pre-beta build of dd-wrt? Memory leaks maybe?

Transmission seems to need a lot of patching to get the web interface to work (patches that don't exist until someone creates them). And it needs one patch to remove a few lines of code that cause it to not start after it has been ran once.
AlxMAX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:02    Post subject: Print server for HP LJ 1018... Reply with quote
On Ubuntu 8.04 I had to download a firmware for HP LaserJet 1018 from the internet and then inject it in the printer before starting CUPS. The firmware is about 3 MB (as far as I remember). Is it possible to do the same thing for the router?
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:19    Post subject: Re: Print server for HP LJ 1018... Reply with quote
AlxMAX wrote:
On Ubuntu 8.04 I had to download a firmware for HP LaserJet 1018 from the internet and then inject it in the printer before starting CUPS. The firmware is about 3 MB (as far as I remember). Is it possible to do the same thing for the router?

The router should be a transparent device. All the drivers should reside on your computer, whatever os that may be. The first printer I tried was a Canon i960, once I changed the port for it on my pc to the tcp/ip port I made, it just worked. Granted, the Canon status monitor didn't work, but I don't care, it's printing.
uiaa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Re: Print server for HP LJ 1018... Reply with quote
AlxMAX wrote:

It's a GDI printer, same as my 1020, and yes, you'll have to upload the firmware to make it working properly.

here is the firmware you need:
http://oleg.wl500g.info/hplj/sihp1018.dl

upload to the printer by running

cat sihp1018.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

And get it done automatically:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=260420

kra4ol4e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 16:24    Post subject: Re: Print server for HP LJ 1018... Reply with quote
AlxMAX wrote:

I`ve just installed my HP LaserJet 1020 under Ubuntu 9.10 without downloading the firmware. System>Administration>Printing>Add New Printer>Network Printer>AppSocket/HP JetDirect - you have to enter your router`s IP and than select the correct driver from the menu.
uiaa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 16:52    Post subject: Re: Print server for HP LJ 1018... Reply with quote
kra4ol4e wrote:
AlxMAX wrote:

I`ve just installed my HP LaserJet 1020 under Ubuntu 9.10 without downloading the firmware. System>Administration>Printing>Add New Printer>Network Printer>AppSocket/HP JetDirect - you have to enter your router`s IP and than select the correct driver from the menu.

thats because the firmware is already in your 1020.
power cycle the printer and post back....

TenaciousR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52    Post subject: USB Printer server working, but how can I scan documents Reply with quote
I got the printerserver working with my hp psc 1315 all in one. Thanks for that. But does someone know how I can make use of the scan function of my all-in-one printer?
TenaciousR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I had it working, but I only had it working on the PC (WIN XP) connected with a netwrok cable to the router. On my Laptop (WIN 7) I can only print the first half of the first page and than the printer stops and the query gives an error. There is nothing I can doe then besides totally remove the printer... Does someone have a solutions for this (and for my question about scannng??)
antidelldude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
There isn't a way to access scanning on dd-wrt. On OpenWRT there is a package called SANE that may help you. Try turning off bidirectional printing and see if you printer continues to error out.
cdblind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04    Post subject: Thank you for this antidelldude Reply with quote
Thanks "antidelldude" recently brought a wzrhpg300nh and this worked for me getting, the printer shared. Tried the wiki and a few other posts but I think I was using the wrong print server. Also the start up script is the make or brake as I was manually adding /dev/usb which the system keep deleting.

Have you worked out how to get a HDD to coexist with this? Very Happy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: