[Solved] OLSR with PicoStation2 HP

SeanH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30    Post subject: [Solved] OLSR with PicoStation2 HP Reply with quote
I am trying to set up a test mesh network with 2 PicoStations using OLSR.

First, I flashed the PS2s with v24 preSP2 build 13064, as the database suggested.

Next, I followed the "Mesh Networking with OLSR" Wiki as best I could. The wired ports are 192.168.1.1/2 and the wlan ports are 10.1.1.1/2 (unbridged) with netmasks of 255.255.255.0. Both units have the same SSID and channel selected. I also set advanced networking to OLSR router and added the wireless port (ath0).

I hoped the two would communicate with each other, but they do not. In fact, after a brief start-up period all of the LEDs come on and then the top flashes for about 15 seconds, then the unit reboots. I have tried setting the wireless mode to AP and ad-hoc, but that makes no difference. I know that OLSR is running because I can see the status on port 8080, but there are no links established before the reboot. I even tried adding 10.1.1.0/24 to the announce entry thinking that would correct the issue, but the units continue to reboot as long as they are both running. If I unplug one of them, the other will stop rebooting. Also, I can ping the 192.168.1.1 and 10.1.1.1 addresses with the PC attached to PS1, but cannot communicate with the other PS.

I have spent all day trying different setting combinations to no avail. I also tried adapting the instructions at the UPRM site, but that didn't work either. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I would be happy to provide more detail if it will help the troubleshooting. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by SeanH on Sat Mar 20, 2010 16:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. olsr on 2 units is absurd.
2. upgrade to the latest beta first

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:31    Post subject: OLSR Rebooting Fixed, Last Question Reply with quote
Thanks Sash, build 13972 corrected the rebooting problem. Now I am just trying to get OLSR working on my test setup (I will grow to have more nodes as I become more comfortable with mesh).

For now, I am trying to get more comfortable with OLSR and routing by getting the following test to work:
Internet-----NodeA>>>>>>NodeB----PC (- wired, > wireless).

I have tried many configurations, but no success. When I look at httpinfo pages, the stations can see each other, but I cannot ping or access anything on the other side of the picostations. Also, I don't see any OLSR routes. I don't want to go on forever, so could you advise me if this configuration is possible and/or a good OLSR reference to study? Google is failing me.

Ultimately, I am looking for a private mesh network with several stationary nodes, one or two nodes that can move around the mesh, and one node attached to a PC that can communicate with everything.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
read the wiki entry
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 16:46    Post subject: OLSR working now Reply with quote
The wiki was not enough. As a novice, my problem was not implementing proper routing. Lesson learned: OLSR does not do everything for you Exclamation
gmidia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
how far did u go did you manage to setup?
gmidia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry to say but looks like meshing in olsr does not work on pico station M2 with the firmware indicated am doing a test using nano2 , nano loco2 and work well
gmidia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the firmware on the picostation M2 HP shows Bullet M2 firmware. could this be the reason for the none functionality of mesh networking in olsr
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
no. it doesnt matter
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
then why is it that the moment mesh is activated and a virtual AP is added then the Mesh link seizes to work. then the channel section does not have a value and now it is only the Virtual AP that works. I have used the same step to configure loco2 and Nano 2 and they do mesh well. there must be a problem somewhere
gmidia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
please have a look at the attachment of a screen shot of what happened to the radio. You will find that the radio is unknown the channel is also unknown. Prior to adding the VAP i connected to the radio in ad hoc mode using my laptop. activation of VAP results to this
cmobley7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you ever get this to work. I bought 3 ASUS RT-56Rs, set them up as outlined here, https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309282&highlight=olsr+setup. However, while they see each other, I haven't been able to ping them through telenet and can't see the OLSR network from the wifi card on my laptop or desktop. I would appreciate any help you are able to give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: