Project to extend network in Afghanistan

colek42
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 20:28    Post subject: Project to extend network in Afghanistan Reply with quote
I have set up a wireless-mesh network at our COP in Afghanistan. It works pretty well, planning on upgrading to all Wireless-N routers

We have a 4MB dedicated sat connection that we share between about 100 users. It is slow but it works.

I want to expand our network to two firebases, each about 20km away with good line of sight.

We have a server where we share movies/TV shows etc. We also dedicate bandwidth to VOIP

I would like to get about a 100Mbps connection to each firebase (we have 2)

There are some factors that will help this project.

1) Almost zero radio noise on 2.4/5Ghz
2) Clear line of sight
3) no restriction on the power we can output
4) plenty of tools to help point antennas

We are however limited in how much money we can spend. Does anyone have any suggestions for equipment that will help make this possible.
Sponsor
nukem678
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may have to use a 5ghz microwave link in order to transmit that type of speed, those distances.
tops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Re: Project to extend network in Afghanistan Reply with quote
colek42 wrote:
I have set up a wireless-mesh network at our COP in Afghanistan. It works pretty well, planning on upgrading to all Wireless-N routers

We have a 4MB dedicated sat connection that we share between about 100 users. It is slow but it works.

I want to expand our network to two firebases, each about 20km away with good line of sight.

We have a server where we share movies/TV shows etc. We also dedicate bandwidth to VOIP

I would like to get about a 100Mbps connection to each firebase (we have 2)

There are some factors that will help this project.

1) Almost zero radio noise on 2.4/5Ghz
2) Clear line of sight
3) no restriction on the power we can output
4) plenty of tools to help point antennas

We are however limited in how much money we can spend. Does anyone have any suggestions for equipment that will help make this possible.

I think a NanoStation 5 would be a good equipment for their use! This equipment work in 5 Ghz ...

Good Luck
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44    Post subject: Re: Project to extend network in Afghanistan Reply with quote
colek42 wrote:
...Afghanistan...
I want to expand our network to two firebases, each about 20km away with good line of sight....
I would like to get about a 100Mbps connection to each firebase (we have 2)...

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Last edited by Sash on Thu Mar 25, 2010 19:27; edited 1 time in total
majinsoftware
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Distance and the speed are going to be the deal breaker.

Distance should be ok with a high powered link with big dishes. But the ping and speed will be around 1/4 of what it would be given a closer distance.

I cant really give any advice since my longest link is half that but personally what I would attempt to do is look for a high powered N spec'ed AP using the 5ghz band. And throw some big dishes on it, Find perfect alinemight with a laser pointer. Then just hope its able to get the speed you want. Other wise you can always use a dual link and have load balancing set up. (unsure how it would work side by side tho as iv only done it with B spec with channels far apart 1,12 to stop interferace)

&
Eoc-2610 R1.1.13 - DD-WRT Pro v24-sp2 13972 (02/23/10) pro.
maer2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would stay with wireless G, N adds complications with MIMO and will not work correctly without 3 antennae on both ends.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320030

Do you have access to C band satellite dishes?

Cantenna + Sat dish will yield decent results.

http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1549&cat=264&page=1

Anthony
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ubiquiti M series devices should be a good choice (Price/quality) for your Two links (With old Powerstation 5 we ve have made several 50km links)
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: