DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
stangri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Using the trac system for requesting dd-wrt support of a router is abuse of the trac, it is intended for bug reporting on currently supported routers.

And how did you come to this conclusion? That would be the first project to separate feature requests and defects in two separate trackers if they do that, it doesn't make any sense at all.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
stangri wrote:
LOM wrote:
Using the trac system for requesting dd-wrt support of a router is abuse of the trac, it is intended for bug reporting on currently supported routers.

And how did you come to this conclusion? That would be the first project to separate feature requests and defects in two separate trackers if they do that, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Well if you believe so then go and file that request in the tracker instead of suggesting that someone should do it.
Brainslayer has posted in this thread so he is aware of the interest, you want to nag him about it in the bug tracker as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there still a request for one of these routers for the porting effort? I bought 5 of them I was going to use for a project, but decided to go a different route so I don't really need all of them and am up for donating one.
Please post here or PM me if you're the right person to send it to. Caveats:
1. I'm in the US. I really really really don't want to have to pay to ship this outside of the US, so hopefully you're in the US, too. If you're not, maybe a couple people could kick in $5 each via PayPal to ship it if it needs to go outside the US? (I'll cover shipping in the US)
2. I'm looking to advance DD-WRT, not (just) give someone a free router. Please be someone that has a history of working on porting to routers/making other significant contributions (eg if you have no track record of working on stuff like this, I probably won't send it to you).
jamesd1343
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am also ready to donate a router for researching ddwrt portability. i did PM brainslayer on it but didnt hear back as to where i would send it
stangri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I said it before and I'll say it again. If you want some feedback from developers or progress made -- file a bug. Then you'll be able to see who responds and send your router(s) to that person.

Gotta unsubscribed from this thread as I've gotten rid of my 7501 already.

Good luck!
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bad advise! Don't do that people, TRAC is for BUGS and ENHANCEMENTS requests, DD-WRT portability is not a BUG or ENHANCEMENT.
Raneman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 15:05    Post subject: Re: A NEW issue with the Westell 7501 Reply with quote
exnetgear wrote:
Raneman wrote:
I like cheese.

@Raneman

Then may I suggest you move on to: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/ and not ruin things here for those who appreciate the dd-wrt help.

I actually do appreciate the help here. Your post towards the other guy just rubbed me the wrong way, so I posted something else hoping the finish the job of getting you pissed. No one put you in charge, no need to be a jerk.
exnetgear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47    Post subject: Re: A NEW issue with the Westell 7501 Reply with quote
Raneman wrote:
I like cheese.

I actually do appreciate the help here. Your post towards the other guy just rubbed me the wrong way, so I posted something else hoping the finish the job of getting you pissed. No one put you in charge, no need to be a jerk.

@Raneman
Do you have a problem with what I said or the way I said it? Off topic posts (including our little back and forth) are rude and wasteful - or don't you agree.

lijianch, sorry for the ranting - no more from me.
intelligen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Come on, guys, chill. No reason to act like jerks and throw a hissy fit because someone made an off-topic joke on the side, or because someone suggested using the bug tracking system the same way most software developers use them.

If we're not supposed to request support for a new router via the bug tracking system, all you need to do is post a link to the community guidelines (and, more specifically, the part which prohibits using the bug database for this purpose). And again, there's no reason to be rude about it.

I've been watching this thread with giddy, wide-eyed enthusiasm at the prospect of loading DD-WRT onto my cheap router, despite the fact that I think the stock firmware is already pretty good (especially compared to the crap that's installed on my old D-Link router), but this past page or so of bickering has really crushed my faith in this community.

The DD-WRT community recently grew by hundreds, if not thousands, of people literally overnight when FedEx delivered a bunch of $7 routers all over the country like a fat man in a red suit. You don't want to turn people off by throwing a tantrum every time someone bends the rules or does something that you think is wrong. Treat us right, and we might just be inclined to contribute to the project, with great word-of-mouth advertising, donations, hardware, or development time.
TheSecondEric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
To get this thread back on topic, so far no DD-WRT deb has contacted me offer to send one of these routers to one of them - anyone interested? Are there any devs I should PM?
kevinqian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
time is not on our side. The longer it goes, the less interest this thing holds and the less likely anyone will care at that point. So if there's any interest in getting dd-wrt on this, time is of the essence.
ponchorage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like this is probably the way to go for those of you who want to donate their router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/community/donations
ez2kill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
intelligen wrote:
Come on, guys, chill. No reason to act like jerks and throw a hissy fit because someone made an off-topic joke on the side, or because someone suggested using the bug tracking system the same way most software developers use them.

If we're not supposed to request support for a new router via the bug tracking system, all you need to do is post a link to the community guidelines (and, more specifically, the part which prohibits using the bug database for this purpose). And again, there's no reason to be rude about it.

I've been watching this thread with giddy, wide-eyed enthusiasm at the prospect of loading DD-WRT onto my cheap router, despite the fact that I think the stock firmware is already pretty good (especially compared to the crap that's installed on my old D-Link router), but this past page or so of bickering has really crushed my faith in this community.

The DD-WRT community recently grew by hundreds, if not thousands, of people literally overnight when FedEx delivered a bunch of $7 routers all over the country like a fat man in a red suit. You don't want to turn people off by throwing a tantrum every time someone bends the rules or does something that you think is wrong. Treat us right, and we might just be inclined to contribute to the project, with great word-of-mouth advertising, donations, hardware, or development time.

I must agree, I have been coming here for a few weeks for the same reason as everyone else. I first began to get excited about DD-WRT when I bought a router a few months ago just to flash it. I followed the directions and it worked, I was thrilled. Then when I saw this router on sale and the interest in the DD-WRT development, I was excited again.

You can see this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for a while now, I believe many other are too. I certainly hope there is still an interest in this router, so folks keep it bumping and maybe the right folks will take notice.

EZ out
idmitriy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Suggest support for the router? Reply with quote
I thought someone was already working on this router...

Is't there a place on this site to suggest support for the router?

My DD-WRT Routers:
Netgear WNDR3300, Linksys WRT54G2, Asus WL-520GU, Dell TrueMobile 2300, Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can any one update the jtag code that I can jtag the CFE and firmware through? Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: