WRT310Nv1.0 Upgrade to newest firmware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 0:15    Post subject: WRT310Nv1.0 Upgrade to newest firmware. Reply with quote
I flashed my router ages ago with DDWRT and I have forgotten all I knew since back then and now I'm back here to look for new firmwares and I think I have found one but I want to verify it is the correct one to flash before I do so and mess things up. I'm sorry for my noobness but I just want to quickly verify that I have it right before I flash without asking and screwing things up.

Here is what I think I need to flash (Note I'm already at standard):
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Linksys/WRT310N/v1.0/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin/2197

This is my routers current firmware:
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/19/09) std - build 11482M NEWD Eko

If there are any new versions than the one I listed above please link me. I'm getting that link from here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Thanks for taking the time to help me out so I don't mess things up thanks for the corrections as well if there are any.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the forum announcements, particularly the one in my sig that states the recommended build and where to get it.
IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've read all but that one and now I've read that one and I still don't understand Sad. Either my head isn't working or I'm missing something here.

Edit: I re read the post in your sig and as far as I can tell it should be fine to flash the one linked in my OP but can you please verify that I am correct in saying that before I do it. I've also looked at the wiki which says mini than std which leads me to also believe that I am safe in flashing the link in the OP.
6tr6tr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
IkithME wrote:
I've read all but that one and now I've read that one and I still don't understand Sad. Either my head isn't working or I'm missing something here.

Edit: I re read the post in your sig and as far as I can tell it should be fine to flash the one linked in my OP but can you please verify that I am correct in saying that before I do it. I've also looked at the wiki which says micro than std which leads me to also believe that I am safe in flashing the link in the OP.

I feel your pain. I think part of the problem is that THIS website recommends THREE different files based on where you look in the site. If you check the router DB, it says to use build 13064. If you look on the install page for WRT310Nv1, it says to use build 12874. If you check the "peacock" forum post (yes it is just a forum post), hidden deep within that page is a recommendation for build 12548. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to 12548 anywhere (someone finally found it for me, see below). The inconsistency is mind boggling.

I get the feeling that the inconsistency and hidden info and links are on purpose to discourage the average user from even attempting this. But if you DO read everything they tell you to, you'll have NO idea what to do since the install page says do what "peacock" says to do, but "peacock" says at one point to follow the install page steps exactly (even though it contradicts part of peacock?!) and the router database says do not use non-recommended builds and that it recommends a build that conflicts with the other two pages. So I feel your pain.

Anyways, here's what I did and used:

1. I did a hard reset (this is well described on the peacock page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486 )

2. Via the web interface (192.168.1.1) I did a firmware upgrade with http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/02-23-10-r13972/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin

3. Unplugged and replugged in the router

4. Hard reset again

At this point, it went on but wireless security did NOT work (don't worry yet)

5. Via the web interface upgraded to http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Linksys/WRT310N/v1.0/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin/2197

6. Powered off and on

7. Hard reset

8. Configured router

NOTE: This is important! When you make ANY change in the web interface to any router setting, you then have TWO steps:

* First click "apply" and wait till it's done (some settings reset the router and I had to wait to relogin)

* Second, click "save"

You MUST do both or the settings don't stay.

Hope this helps!

----

Here's the build I did NOT use but was recommended by "peacock" and unfindable on the site but was located by a nice forum user: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24_TNG%2Fsvn12548/
IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I understand now.

brb hitting head on wall.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router DB is controlled by BS but it hasn't been updated in many months even though he released 13525 to paying customers to use. The router DB is currently recommending a build that many have had poor wireless performance with.

The wiki install guides usually recommend whatever was current at the time of writing and it doesn't matter much what build you use for installation, but for actual use you should read the forum to find out what people consider stable at the current time.

The peacock explains that its recommendations are more conservative than the main announcement, if you want something a bit older and known to be stable then follow the peacock recommendation, if you have a newly supported router or want to test something more recent that is fairly stable then use the main announcement's recommendation.

IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm getting an issue with DHCP it stops leasing after a while. I think I will try peacock.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you filling up the DHCP pool (default 50)?
IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Active clients says 3 and there should only be 4 connecting at a time. Restarting the router seems to fix the issue for a split second then if I release and renew it stops leasing again.

Using:
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) std - build 13525

I have no clue what could be going wrong I 30-30-30 it then flash then wait around 5-6 mins reset it then 30-30-30 it again and it does this. It was doing this in the build in the OP as well thats why I tried this one but the OP build would lease for around 30 mins the crash out but this one seems like it has a window of 1 min after booting to lease clients then it stops until another reset.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you changed "filter WAN NAT redirection" to be enabled (it's bugged enabled)? It could be faulty/overheating hardware. Do you have another power adapter with the same specs you could try?
IkithME
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Have you changed "filter WAN NAT redirection" to be enabled (it's bugged enabled)?"

Maybe...

Its disabled now LOL! Thanks that fixed it.

Edit: I feel really stupid I didn't see the connection between that setting and loss of DHCP leases all I saw was the connection between time and my computer connecting through wireless and not getting a lease but the wired one did within that time span.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: