How to un-brick a DWL-5000ap

shdwdrgn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:26    Post subject: How to un-brick a DWL-5000ap Reply with quote
I recently acquired a DWL-5000ap which had an admin password set, but of course the previous owner had no clue what that password might be. A quick search showed me that D-link considers this a secured unit -- there is no way to reset the password without sending the unit back to the factory -- and no information could be found on anyone that had managed to resolve this. I was beginning to think this was true, until I noticed the VxWorks boot option from the serial console. Because of the pointers from this site that led me in the right direction, I'm contributing the steps needed to restore this unit back to factory defaults. Not to mention I've been running dd-wrt on my linksys router for the last few years, and really appreciate the work you folks have done!

Note that I performed these steps on a linux server. Windows users will have to alter the steps accordingly. And now, on with the how-to...

To begin with, I am going to define the following to try to help eliminate any confusion:
192.168.0.1 = gateway (internet modem)
192.168.0.2 = tftp server
192.168.0.3 = ftp server
192.168.0.50 = DWL-5000ap
# Steps beginning with the hash are linux or WAP commands

And a couple of links I used along the way:
tftpd howto: http://www.davidsudjiman.info/2006/03/27/installing-and-setting-tftpd-in-ubuntu/
Firmware image file: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl5000AP/Firmware/dwl5000AP_firmware_14.zip

On your local network, you will need to set up both an FTP server (with a username/password that can get and put files), and a TFTP server, where you will put the modified firmware image file created below.

Create a modified firmware image:
Code:
# unzip dwl5000AP_firmware_14.zip
# cp AP11.SYS AP11x.SYS
# hexedit AP11x.SYS
  <tab>
  <ctrl-s>
    apcfg<enter>
  - Overwrite "apcfg" with "xxxxx"
  <ctrl-x>

- Move the new firmware image, AP11x.SYS, to your TFTP server directory.

Boot the DWL-5000ap:
- Connect serial cable to the DWL-5000ap
- Using terminal software such as minicom, connect to the serial port at 9600 8N1
- Power up DWL-5000ap
- After POST message, you will get a 3-second countdown. Hit the ESC key to enter the VxWorks menu.

[VxWorks Boot]: $dp(0,0):AP11x.SYS e=192.168.0.50 g=192.168.0.1 h=192.168.0.2 f=0x80
(Note that you must include the leading $ symbol as part of the command)

- Once it boots and says 'Ready', hit Enter to get the login prompt
- Login as Admin, blank password (you must use a capital A in Admin)

Code:
# set factorydefault
# ftp 192.168.0.3
  Username: <ftp user>
  Password: <ftp passwd>
  Remote File: apcfg
  Local File: /fl/xxxxx
  download or upload: upload
# ftp 192.168.0.3
  Username: <ftp user>
  Password: <ftp passwd>
  Remote File: apcfg
  Local File: /fl/apcfg
  download or upload: download
# reboot

If, after you reboot, there are errors on the serial console for unrecognized commands, then your firmware is out of date. It should still allow you to log into the web interface and perform a firmware upgrade, making use of the firmware upgrade file you initially downloaded.
Sponsor
shdwdrgn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also of note, if you work inside the VxWorks utility and change the settings, here is a reference for the default configuration:

Code:
boot device          : tffs:
unit number          : 0
processor number     : 0
file name            : /fl/apimg2
inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.0.50:ffffff00
host inet (h)        : 192.168.0.10
gateway inet (g)     : 0.0.0.0
flags (f)            : 0x0
other (o)            : dp

(Note the colon after tffs... that one stumped me for awhile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: