Long Range Wifi Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Team_ModderXstatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:19    Post subject: Long Range Wifi Project Reply with quote
I am using a WRT54G router with DD-WRT on it, and I have that router hooked up to a homemade BiQuad WiFi Dish antenna. With that I have a N-connector cable going from the dish to the router, and a RP-TNC adapter to hook the N-connector cable to the router. I disabled the right antenna, and enabled the left antenna to transmit both signals. Now that I have my setup up and running, can someone tell me what settings I need to search and connect to WiFi networks in range of this BiQuad dish. That would be most helpful.

And another thing, I was wondering how high I can increase the wireless signal strength (0-251mW), it is default at 70mW. And I have the option of overclock the CPU to 250gHz. IS that stable?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Increasing the CPU Clock wont give you greater range, what is important in range is the proper SNR of your signal. I have actually found that a 75 mw output, will give me a greater signal than 120mw or even 251mw. Your proper output will need to be adjusted by you. You will have to see which setting will give you the greatest SNR and thus the greatest link stability and transfer rate. Also your antenna able and antenna placement are imperative. Are you using this Bi-quad with a satellite dish?
Team_ModderXstatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 19:35    Post subject: Long Range Wifi Project Reply with quote
Yes, I am using a BiQuad with a dish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 19:38    Post subject: Long Range Wifi Project Reply with quote
Is there any advice you can give me to extend my wifi range to the max. I live in a spot where I can not get cable or DSL internet, but my friend lives a few miles away has it and is willing to share his connection with me, so I just have to find a way to get my signal that far so I can create a bridge with him. Any help would be great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best option is to create a long range link with his router. If he has a linksys, you can create another link like yours. I assume your going to use your dish with a short piece of LMR 400 cable connected to the router in an outdoor box? If so remember you must have a clear line of sight link to have a good signal which means the dish will probably have to be mounted on a pole 15-20 feet in the air. This is the same for both sides of the link. You may want to build 2 identical rigs, one for your side and another for his. You can hook his right to one of the LAN ports on his router. Remember, you may have a 25dbi antenna on your end, but if hes only got a 2.2db antenna, you'll never see his ssid and will have too many transmission errors. Also you may want to switch the link to 11b, because the signal is better over longer distances. But yeah idea seems good.
Buns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Team_ModderXstatic
15/20ft will not cut it, try 30ft agl.
Code:
http://www.terabeam.com/support/calculations/fresnel-zone.php

I know a guy on the columbia river using ns2 loco w/dish too ns2 station 7mi.

http://www.mowinet.com/zstore/images/large/kostunereave300.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: