Second router via ethernet connection.

Nuvenix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:57    Post subject: Second router via ethernet connection. Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm sure this topic has already been covered, and if so, all I probably need is a good link. I might not be searching for it right. Either way, this is what I'm trying to do.

I have a router(A) in my house that is connected to the cable modem. It is a D-link without dd-wrt installed on it, and there are 3 computers connected to it within the house.

I also have a shop that it about 40 feet from the house that needs internet connectivity. I had origonally used my second router(B), a wrt54g Linksys with dd-wrt in a repeater mode, but the connection was a little to spotty.

WHAT I NEED IS...
I have wires that run underground from the house to the shop. I am able to make a wired ethernet connection from router A to the shop, and I am able to connect one PC, BUT I would like to connect it to router B instead and use router B as if it were connected to the modem directly.

I am able to find ample information on doing this wirelessly, but haven't been able to find a WORKING method on doing it via ethernet connection.

The attachment is a little mod on a common diagram that describes making the wireless connection. I scribbled out and made changes that fit my needs.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

i need this.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.55 KB
 Viewed:  19203 Time(s)

i need this.JPG

Sponsor
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
disable WAN and DHCP on secondary Router
give both Routers IP from same subnet
on secondary use IP of primary for gateway and DNS
connect both using LAN ports
Nuvenix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49    Post subject: That worked! Reply with quote
cybero,

Thanks so much for your fast response. I had come close to getting it, but I think I had a few boxes checked that didn't need to be checked. There are much more settings and adjustments with dd-wrt than I know what to do with. Anyways, I did a 30/30/30 and plugged in your suggestions and it worked like a charm!

Also, Is there a page that gives a little more information for all the settings in dd-wrt; more than what is given in the column at the right? It would also be nice to know Why each setting (or at least the majority) is available and what application they might have in any particular situation.

Thanks again.
niemasd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for reviving an absurdly old thread, but I was able to successfully set up an equivalent network using the instructions provided:

Quote:
disable WAN and DHCP on secondary Router
give both Routers IP from same subnet
on secondary use IP of primary for gateway and DNS
connect both using LAN ports

I now have modem --ethernet--> router 1 (non-ddwrt) --ethernet--> router 2 (ddwrt), and wireless devices can connect to router 2 and connect to the internet just fine (I use DHCP on my wireless device, and it successfully gets an IP and everything). However, ethernet devices are unable to get an IP automatically, and even if I manually set an IP, they are unable to connect to the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: