WL-500G P semi bricked, acts like a hub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
HalHal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 21:39    Post subject: WL-500G P semi bricked, acts like a hub Reply with quote
Hi,

first, my router is a Wl-500G Premium, DD-WRT is version: v23-SP2 VPN (dd-wrt.v23_vpn_asus.trx).

I don't think I did anything in particular (that I can see) to cause any problem, it just seemed to gradually start having problems. First I noticed was when I tried to change the password for my WPA wireless encryption. It would not change the password when I submitted the page. I then got it to change by turning off encryption, then turning it back on to WPA 1 PSK, and putting in the new password. Then the next day a friend could not connect to the access point, it would always produce an error message when they connected. It seemed like the encryption was on WPA 2 instead of 1 or something, so I changed the settings a bit, but it still wouldn’t work. So then I think I restarted the router (this was nearly 2 weeks ago, so it is a bit hazy now Shocked ). After that my PC could not get an IP with DHCP from the router. I tried using a static ip, but I could not ping it or log in through the web admin, or connect via telnet.

After that I restarted it a number of times, with no result. Now it is acting like it is a hub not a switch. When I plug my pc into LAN 1, and have the WAN port go to my ISP, my PC gets an ip with DHCP, but it gets it from the ISP, so my pc has a WAN ip, although it is connected through the router. I can also connect to another pc I am setting up with Astaro security linux through the router/hub.

I cannot do a hard reset on the router, I don't know why but it has never worked. I have held in the reset button for 30 seconds and longer (previously from this incident, and after it) and it has never reset the settings. The router still goes into recovery mode if I hold in the reset button while it is turning on, but I cannot connect to it to re flash it. It is no longer broadcasting from the ariel either, the access point is not visible.

Is there any option other than to short pin 9? http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2507

My WRT54Gv2 @ 300MHz, DD-WRT v24 RC3 .
Sponsor
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you have an asus wl-500g premium there is no hard reset function available with the recovery button ....

did you ever go into forced recovery mode? ... ah sorry I just missed that you already tried recovery mode ... anyway, check the steps, perhaps something went wrong:

1) unplug router
2) set computer NIC to 192.168.1.10 or something around that
3) push and hold the recovery button on the wl-500gp and re-plug power
4) power LED should flash slowly ...
5) try to ping 192.168.1.1 ... if you get an answer you can use either the asus recovery utility or use tftp with the 'wl500g-clear-nvram.trx' (then wait 45 sec), then 'wl500g-recovery.trx' (then wait about 1.5min) and finally the dd-wrt***.trx of your choice (then wait about 1.25min).

If you then still can't ping your router in forced recovery mode things are not so good anymore ... if you look into the forum you'll find my post about a really unresponsive wl-500gp that does not even answer to 192.168.1.1 in recovery mode ... if that new kind of brick is also the problem in your case:
Can you add a serial port to the device? If yes please post the output, so we can compare it with what I got so far...

... i just wish the wl-500gP had a JTAG interface Wink
Pixel du Rezo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you try this : (it worked for me)

1. Enter recovery mode
2. Run Asus Firmware Restoration (can be found on asus website or included cd)
3. Choose wl500g-clear-nvram.trx file and upload it to the router. Wait 2-3 minutes after.
4. Enter recovery mode
5. Choose wl500g-recover.trx file and also upload it to your router. Wait 2-3 minutes
6. Enter recovery mode
7. Choose the firmware you wish to flash and upload. Wait 2-3 minutes. Reboot

Here you could take the files:
http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=1606
HalHal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replies.

It does not reply to pings in normal or recovery mode. I just tried again now to be sure. I can't use the Asus Firmware restoration tool because it can't find the router. :?

Btw, that link does not mention the WL-500G P, are you sure that firmware ok to use with the Premium version? Confused

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
the asus has something special which is not written in the posts by other people

the ip for tftp recovery is not 192.168.1.1, it can be any ip. its always the last configured lan ip address. this is something you should check

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have never changed the routers ip from the default 192.168.1.1, and I just scanned the range 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 and didn't find anything (other than my own pc Razz ).

Is it possible that it could be using an ip out of the 192.168.1 range without me changing it to do so?

I supose I have to try grounding pin 9. :|

JohnS@ wrote:
Can you add a serial port to the device? If yes please post the output, so we can compare it with what I got so far...

... i just wish the wl-500gP had a JTAG interface Wink

I might be able to.. Wink Do you have a link to some instructions? I coudn't find any for the WL-500G P.

FatToad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see a version # on mine so I'm guessing it's ver1. Also a US model if that makes any difference
I thought I had bricked mine once because it froze half way though a upload and didn't do anything for an hour. I unpluged it for a couple hours then did the restore button/pwer on trick. I only waited about 5 seconds between pluging the power in and starting the asus firmware restoration. I would probably be a good idea to try restoring the updated asus firmware. Be sure to give it lots of time before pulling the plug

Let us know if this works.
FT
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalHal wrote:
Is it possible that it could be using an ip out of the 192.168.1 range without me changing it to do so?

... you could run something like wireshark/ethereal and see if your router is sending out any packets (also you'd see the IP address that is used). yet my bricked unit does not send out anything anymore on the LAN ports Sad ... but give it a try!

HalHal wrote:
serial port ... I might be able to.. Wink Do you have a link to some instructions? I coudn't find any for the WL-500G P.

Yep, it's labeled nicely on the pcb. To open you have to take off the rubber elements in the four stands. Remove the four screws and then you can open the case. Inside you'll see this picture: here. On the left hand side of the picture you'll see a pin header, right next to it is the description of the pins. You need to connect serial like in the following picture. Easiest way (because the voltage levels on the router (3.3v) are different from the pc serial port (12v)) is to buy a cheap 3rd party USB-Mobile phone cable (most of them use usb to serial 3.3v converters based on the prolific pl-2301 chipset ... which works fine, you can find more info about the cables googling about how to add a serial port to the linksys wrt54g series).

serial.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.57 KB
 Viewed:  46609 Time(s)

serial.jpg

HalHal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again. :)

I had a look about, but I can't find the PCI bracket with the serial port for my pc (the motherboard has the serial ports as jumpers on the motherboard, not on the IO pannel) so I decided to just try the grouding pin 9 trick.

Then assigned a static ip, and look:

:D

Can I flash it with DD-WRT strait away, or should I what Pixel du Rezo suggested below?

Btw, while looking about I found this page, which has instructions for adding a (temperary) serial console without opening the router: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/Serial_Console

Edit - Ok, I went through clear and then recover firmware, then finaly uploaded v23 SP2 VPN and it is working like clockwork. Smile Thanks everyone.

JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalHal wrote:
I had a look about, but I can't find the PCI bracket with the serial port for my pc (the motherboard has the serial ports as jumpers on the motherboard, not on the IO pannel) so I decided to just try the grouding pin 9 trick.

Cool, enjoy the unbricked router!!! Cool

Btw: Probably a good thing you did not find the serial headers on your PC motherboard ... a direct connection to the corresponding pins on the asus pcb would have fried your router due to voltage difference (PC: 12v, Router 3.3V) ... just for completeness the reminder (for future readers): you need some kind of converter in between (MAX323 or a generic USB to serial mobile phone cable with a PL-2301 will do nicely).
GLO
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I have this exact problem and whilst my unit is still under warranty, i am curious why this fault occurs.

In my case i was simply adjusting the Wifi active times, and rebooting.

Im reluctant to remove the warranty sticker, but if i did return under warranty, would they know that i was running DD-wrt?
moran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
GLO wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have this exact problem and whilst my unit is still under warranty, i am curious why this fault occurs.

In my case i was simply adjusting the Wifi active times, and rebooting.

Im reluctant to remove the warranty sticker, but if i did return under warranty, would they know that i was running DD-wrt?

If you restore the factory firmware and clear settings I doubt they could

ASUS WL-550gE
DD-WRT v24 SP1 standard

ASUS WL-520GC
dd-wrt v24 SP7 mini
smile2007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I also use WL-500gP for hotspot. After i configure the chillispot and the DHCP server (just like what i done to my WL-500g Deluxe) it just can't work out.

If I connect using the WLAN interface, i just can't get the correct IP from my radius server (i use worldspot).

If there somebody out there with same problem ??
spillner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalHal,

Did you do anything special to get the pin 9 trick to work (e.g. short other pins too?) I've got the same problem with my WL-500gP (thread), as does GLO, and neither of us had any luck shorting pin 9. At this point, I'm thinking about trying either shorting pin 16 or soldering on a serial cable.
etherboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 17:33    Post subject: My ASUS 500G Premium - v24 RC3 also half bricked Reply with quote
I have no idea why my ASUS 500G Premium suddenly half bricked and it's always in recovery mode, the power LED blinked about one second a time no matter what I did.

I was able to ping router IP address 10.1.1.1 without error.

However, when I try to restore ASUS firmware WL500gp_1.9.7.0_TW.trx uing ASUS utility, the moment I hit upload button, the LED stopped blinking, but the upload still proceeded untill 99% and said it failed. Tried twice. What should I do?

Is the above serial grounding the only option? I really don't want to resort to this method unless I really have to. Any idea? Thanks!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: