WGR614v10 Support - Jump to post 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:14    Post subject: WGR614v10 Support - Jump to post 9 Reply with quote
I'm going to hijack my own thread, and hopefully not get scorned for it. Razz Someone feel free to split this thread if necessary.

See 9th post

# Original - Odd troubles/WGR614v8 (Scrapped) -

This unit is giving me headaches. Hopefully I can make this, make sense. *Read all*

What might cause the following?:

If I power the unit with full firmware installed - CFE loads, then it goes on to load the firmware, and halts at loading wl.o (with both stock and DD-WRT.) LAN ports are not activated. (Computer sees it as no cable connected.) All lights are lit, and power light is not flashing.

With just CFE loaded onto the flash chip, it loads up as it should, and waits for tftp. However, LAN ports are still not active.

Now the confusing part:

If I wipe the flash, and reinsert the CFE/WGRv8data, it will boot normally the first time it is restarted after flash - this never fails. At this point I can flash a full firmware to it. Once power is lost, and reapplied, it reverts to the above problem.

Every single time a CFE or firmware is flashed to it, it will start perfectly normal the first time, and run perfectly normal on the next power up. No exceptions. Again, though, after power loss, the only way to get it to run again is to flash it again.

Once in a great while, running a 30-30-30 will allow it to boot normally.

Is the firmware loaded differently on the first boot following a flash? Any ideas here?

I've redumped the firmware several times to verify that it hadn't become corrupted, but everything checks out fine. When the unit is functioning following a flash, everything works perfectly. Good radio, good everything.

Last edited by jrat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 22:22; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could this just be an issue with a bad flash IC? As in NVRAM being corrupt consistently?

Fresh flash = blank NVRAM.. correct?

Erasing NVRAM allows LAN to come back online until reboot. Or is it more likely an issue writing the NVRAM?

I can replace the MX chip easily enough, but certainly not the BGA cpu.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
it could also be bad power. double check your power supply. Make sure you have 12V when plugged in. Check your capacitors for bulging or leakage as well.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the input. :D

I had considered that. I've tried 3 PS, and checked on board voltages. Tested a few components. Everything seems in order. Not much else I can do as far as that without a good schematic, which I never expect to see.

Out of curiosity, is there usually a problem with this particular router identifying it's flash chip?

I've gotten "Unknown or no flash chip" every time via JTAG. /flash_debug doesn't seem to return any valid IDs (00000000, 0000FFFF, 0090FFFF, 00000090). This forces me to use /fc:21.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set pin1 of JTAG to +3.3V?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=234089#234089

I've not seen any issues with chip recognition with the TJTAG 3.x builds.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have it jumped to pin 1 of serial/uart port, just as in that linked post.

It recognizes the BCM5354 fine, just nothing on the flash. /fc:21 does the job, and I can get a working flash. I guess another possible indicator of a bad chip.
kingsmill
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 13:17    Post subject: is jffs enabled? Reply with quote
Do you have JFFS enabled? I can reproduce a corrupt cfe/kernel/nvram when running a std build when jffs is enabled. I have not had a problem running a mini build with jffs. I logged a bug report on this six months ago but got no response.

Geoff..
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
No JFFS.

I did recently come across some information regarding flash identification. The flash on my unit is an MX25L3205AMC, not MX25L3205D. I had assumed previously that MX25L3205D was a generic ID, and all variations would identify as such.

Right now I'm waiting on a replacement flash chip, ordered as a free sample. I'll post if it solves any issues or not.
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I received the new chip (MX25L3205D, not A), installed it, and it still wouldn't identify with tjtag. Flash debug seems to return junk. Still has issues programming. At this point I'm just going to dump this thing.

Would this unit still be of any use to anyone for development purposes? I'd be happy to send it along to wherever.

# WGR614v10 Support

On another note, which I hate to create a new thread for: I have picked up a WGR614v10 for dirt cheap. Seems to be apretty new model from what I can find (mostly nothing).

I'm interested in the fact that it has the same HW as the WNR1000v3 (which I can also find nothing about). The same to the point that it could be flashed with WNR1000v3 firmware and function as b/g/n? I suspect not. I did serial into it, and it's using the WNR1000v3's CFE.

I'd like to be able to backup the CFE/Data so I could tinker, but tjtag isn't supporting the BCM5356 yet. At least to my knowledge.

To my point though, I'd be more than happy (maybe even excited) to contribute via testing or other means to get the WGR614v10 going.

Last edited by jrat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 22:24; edited 1 time in total
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Answered my own question.

I crossflashed to the WNR1000v3 non-NA firmware - only needed edit the Board ID in the chk. No N adapter to check for N functionality, however. G still works fine.
Orbiting234
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heh, ever since I saw the FCC documents months ago for the WGR614v10/WNR1000v3 and realized they used the same exact underlying hardware, I had been itching to find one and try a crossflash. Glad to know it does indeed work.

Can you post a pic of the WGR614v10 box? I've noticed some smaller WGR614 boxes in my area lately but they still depict the v1-v9 style of having the antenna on the left side and I know that the v10 has it on the right now. So I'm curious if they do have a proper box for the v10 or if it is now just luck if you find a v10 in these generic boxes.
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't figure out where my camera is at the moment, but it does have its own box.

The serial number on the box label begins with 28T10. The front shows the antenna on the right side, with clear advertising of the new "Push N Connect" and Wifi toggle buttons.

I actually had a choice between this one or the v9 - so with 4m flash, I went for this.

--

On another note, I did try flashing DD-WRT to it last night, with little success. I used the build that is known running on the RT-N10, same CPU and all. I did manage to get it flashed, but it had issues I can't recall correctly - either way it just reboot looped. More specifically, I used:

dd-wrt.v24-13832_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk

and modified the header to match my board ID. I don't know if this was pointless or not, but
I'm not worried about it.

I had to jump through a hoop or two to get flashed back to stock, but as I half expected, some settings are forked now. Only way I can fix it completely is with JTAG access - unless someone can tell me how to flash from busybox, if it's possible Razz Either way, It's running right now.

One other question I have: Is 24k NVRAM enough? I know that the v9 having only 16k is a problem.
Orbiting234
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
What did you change the board id to? Telnet'ing into it tells me the board id is U12H139T00_NETGEAR which is exactly the same the WNR1000v3 firmware has in it. So what'd you change?

EDIT: Went ahead and told it "burnboardid U12H139T00_NETGEAR" anyways and I was finally able to flash the native unmodified WNR1000v3 firmware.

Last edited by Orbiting234 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17; edited 1 time in total
jrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
U12H139T01_NETGEAR is the board ID for the WGR614v10 (at least for mine). The WNR1000v3 firmware had U12H139T00_NETGEAR. It was just a matter of changing the 0 to 1.

As long as they match, it should accept the flash.
Orbiting234
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, just edited my post above in the time you posted that and you can see my results. Smile Advantage of changing the board id like I did means I never have to edit official firmwares. The sad thing is the sole wireless-n device I have is my Xbox 360's adapter. Will have to test it out later but it should work at N speeds now in theory.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: