WRT54G - XBOX 360 (2) DHCP failure over network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ryanmetcalf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 22:33    Post subject: WRT54G - XBOX 360 (2) DHCP failure over network Reply with quote
I've got a medium sized home network connected several different ways (Ethernet, WiFi, and HomePlug) and have been long since using a WRT54G to connect everything

Router(s) in use:
WRT54G V2 (192.168.1.140)
Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std
(This router provides DHCP server and connects directly to internet)

WRT54GL V1.1 (192.168.1.141)
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini
(This router is connected via WDS to the 54G V2 and is set to forward DHCP to 54G V2)

Devices on network:
2 - XBOX 360's
2 - Laptops
2 - Desktops
1 - Smartphone

Here's a basic network diagram done in Dia
ATTACHED IS A BETTER QUALITY VERSION

I was previously using HyperWRT+Tofu before getting the WRT54GL and never had problems using my XBOX 360 on my network. Got the WRT54GL and flashed both with DD-WRT, and now neither my, nor my roommate's xbox360's can get an IP address (DHCP) from the network. When each is set to it's own static IP it works, but I don't want static addresses used. I connected a laptop (w/Wifi disabled) to the same ethernet line that each xbox had been using and it was able to get an IP address at both locales instantly. What's the deal?

metcalf_network.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.67 KB
 Viewed:  15962 Time(s)

metcalf_network.png

Sponsor
jaraco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've recently been trying to track down a similar problem with my classic Xbox. It gets DHCP just fine from my sveasoft router, but fails outright to get one when running dd-wrt v24.

Are you able to check the DHCP leases file on your router? I seem to recall that when I checked the leases file, there was a lease for the Xbox that failed to receive an address... indicating that for some reason the Xbox failed to receive or accept the offer.

Later, I intend to look into this further.
jaraco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 13:57    Post subject: can't reproduce Reply with quote
I tried to reproduce the problem by resetting to factory defaults and incrementally re-enabling settings, but I haven't yet been able to reproduce the problem. I'll post back here if the problem does re-emerge.
Tim.Lad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the DHCP lease times are not set to 0 or Blank the 360 will not take an ip address if the lease time is 0
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 13:39    Post subject: Re: WRT54G - XBOX 360 (2) DHCP failure over network Reply with quote
ryanmetcalf wrote:
Router(s) in use:

See that post at the top of the forum, in the announcements, that says STOP READ THIS SHORT POST BEFORE YOU POST. It's there for a reason.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
ryanmetcalf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim.Lad wrote:
Check the DHCP lease times are not set to 0 or Blank the 360 will not take an ip address if the lease time is 0

Ah ha! My DHCP lease time was set to 0, changed it to 240 minutes to try out and the XBOX 360's were both able to pick up IP addresses! Very quickly nonetheless. Thanks Tim.Lad!

Donny wrote:
ryanmetcalf wrote:
Router(s) in use:

See that post at the top of the forum, in the announcements, that says STOP READ THIS SHORT POST BEFORE YOU POST. It's there for a reason.

In particular, you mean this one?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
Because I did pay attention, and I did read through the forum rules/guidelines, the bad broadcom firmware thread, even the TOC to the large FAQ thread.
I couldn't find any firmware on the website that was pre v24 to use (such as v23). So, I stuck with a VINT mini build for the 54G.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ryanmetcalf wrote:
the bad broadcom firmware thread, even the TOC to the large FAQ thread.

Then why did you use one of the bad broadcom firmwares? You should have read more than the TOC. But, you are free to make your own choices, including missing important info....

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: