wrt160n v3 bricked after std firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fb2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43    Post subject: wrt160n v3 bricked after std firmware Reply with quote
Hi all,

After i had the ddwrt up and running I installed (for some reason Embarassed thought it would fix some speed problems i was having) dd-wrt.v24_std_generic. I now realize that this model can only take the model specific firmware and now I cant access the gui. When i power on the power led blinks for a few seconds then goes off and the only light that comes on is the port lights if I'm connected to my pc. It will not respond to pings in any state.

Is there anything else i can try before either smashing this thing or buying a jtag?

Thanks!
Sponsor
dombila
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:20    Post subject: Re: wrt160n v3 bricked after std firmware Reply with quote
fb2 wrote:
Hi all,

After i had the ddwrt up and running I installed (for some reason Embarassed thought it would fix some speed problems i was having) dd-wrt.v24_std_generic. I now realize that this model can only take the model specific firmware and now I cant access the gui. When i power on the power led blinks for a few seconds then goes off and the only light that comes on is the port lights if I'm connected to my pc. It will not respond to pings in any state.

Is there anything else i can try before either smashing this thing or buying a jtag?

Thanks!

Please try the following steps from lijianch from the http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63444&highlight=wrt160n forum.

1. Plug the power. The power light will blink and go off afterward.
2. Press the reset button long enough, say 30 seconds. During this 30 seconds, the power light will not be on. Afterward, hold the reset and unplug the power and plug it back, You will see the power light on after blinking.
3. Release the reset button and visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.
4. Upload the right firmware and reboot.

Maybe it helps, please let us know does it work or not!
duncanidahoe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 15:34    Post subject: Unbricking a wrt160n v3 Reply with quote
Bricked my wrt160n v3 with the wrong firmware and I couldn't get a ping out of it. I tried all the solutions that are on the forum as of this date. This is how I finally got it to tftp.

1. Follow the directions for tftping the
router. And run a continuous ping.
2. Have TFTP2 up and ready ip 192.168.1.1 with
the original firmware or the wrt160n v3
firmware from dd-wrt
3. Have the lan connection status on screen
4. Unplug the router and hold the reset button
5. Plug it back in holding the reset button when
the all the lights except the power and lan
light go out. Quickly release and press the
reset button. You need to experiment with
how long to do this. When the received
number on the connection status screen goes
up immediately press upgrade on TFTP2.
6. If the firmware doesn't take don't worry at
least it will give you a continuous ping.
Then just log onto 192.168.1.1 in your
browser and you're in linksys management
mode.

I wasn't getting any ping response at all, but I noticed the received packets number increasing as I was pinging and unplugging and replugging the router. So I decided to watch to see when this happened if I could catch it and upload the firmware. It worked!!!! Took me two days of trying, but I thought this might help someone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: