DNS not working on WRT54G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dbmdude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38    Post subject: DNS not working on WRT54G Reply with quote
I used to have an intermittent DNS issue (in a different post) but now it seems that my intermittent is now permanent.

I recently had to reset the router and when I did it never recovered. NOW all my devices which used to have 192.168.2.1 as there DNS require a discrete DNS Setting like 150.128.7.l12.

I did not change any settings (in fact I reset to defaults) and it still will not work. Every device now requires the DNS settings set on them. It is as if the router STOPPED passing DNS.

This is set up on a cable router and it has Auto Config with DHCP set up. some PCs in the house are static and some are dynamic. In every case I must set the DNS regardless if they are static or dynamic. I have not played with the settings for DNSMasq yet because I am clueless what they are. I read a few web sites describing them but they were all too technical for me... I need someone to explain them in plain laymans english.

My router DD-WRT version is "DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) mini" and I am in the process soon of upgrading to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin.

I am baffled... a simple router and cable modem restart caused all this to cascade.

PLEASE HELP:

If you can provide a laymans explanation of DNSMasq that would be great; also if you have a clue what is causing the DNS to get mucked please tell me that too.

I am leaning towards the fact that it has failed hardware because this problem I am seeing has periodically over the years been a probelm; however, a hardware reset usually fixed it. NOW it will not fix it.
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21    Post subject: Re: DNS not working on WRT54G Reply with quote
dbmdude wrote:
My router DD-WRT version is "DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool mini" and I am in the process soon of upgrading to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin.
I would go ahead with the upgrade on firmware. I have seen a lot of issues fixed by getting away from sp1, which is very buggy and problematic.

Navigation

Jump to: