Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
mikedep33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52    Post subject: Rosewill RNX-GX4 - Advertised as DD-WRT Compatible Reply with quote
So this is amazing. NewEgg/Rosewill just launched an wireless router that's "Open Source & DD-WRT Firmware support." Yet I doubt they coordinated with DD-WRT or anything because it is not listed at as supported or anywhere in this site!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166032&cm_re=rnx-_-33-166-032-_-Product
(Not available in newegg.ca yet)

Looks like a standard piece of hardware, they clearly state:
CPU: Broadcom BCM5354KFBG 240MHz
RAM/Flash: 16MB / 4MB

It has the Same chipset as the WRT54G v7.2 & v8, but with 16MB/4MB. Reportedly the DIR-320 also has the BCM5354 (although I don't know if that's exactly the same.) Some other devices like most of the later WRT54G and WRT54G2 have the BCM4354 chipset with 8MB/2MB.

One NewEgg user already reported successfully flashing it with dd-wrt and tomato. He said there's no tricks to flash it, just use rosewill's webconfig.

I Believe you should be able to use the broadcom 4MB generic images (I think those are what the DIR-320 uses. I'm not an expert on DD-WRT, so use these at you're own risk. If I am wrong, they could brick your router.) Here are the latest PreSP2 official release ones:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/10-10-09-r13064/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/10-10-09-r13064/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/10-10-09-r13064/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/10-10-09-r13064/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_voip_generic.bin

I look forward to hearing well-versed people's results. Currently the router is selling for $35 USD + shipping. Compare that to $48 + shipping for the WGR614L.
Sponsor
ps2chiper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats because all it is a Netcore NW618. It uses a serial flash chip and needs the patches we made to support it under openwrt. You can enjoy it. but it only cost 15 dollars to manufacture and why do you think patches exist for openwrt if I know how much it cost to manufacture it?
mikedep33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't exactly follow you.

It's identical to the already supported NW618? Great! That means no further work is required to run various firmwares on it. You are part of OpenWRT? Thank you for doing the work to support these two identical models.

It only costs $15 to manufacture? That's not surprising. I am under the impression that it costs $35 + shipping because NewEgg/Rosewill has to help users with problems resulting from their lack of knowledge. (Eg, they plug their cable modem into a LAN port, or have Windows Internet Connection Sharing setup so that there is a rogue DHCP server, or they don't know that they have to configure the DSL PPoE settings.)

If they were to offer an OEM version without tech support so that it would be cheaper, that would be awesome for the tech-savvy users who want to run open source firmware.

In the meantime, I cannot seem to find the netcore NW618 for sale anywhere on the (US) internet, despite extensive google and google shopping searches. Netcore lets you do inquiries, presumably for bulk orders. If you can show me where to buy it (as a US resident) for cheaper, I'd love to hear it. I would also like to know of any other 16MB/4MB wireless routers or APs for cheaper than $35 USD that you know of too. Often I see special deals, but $35 + shipping looks like the day-to-day price of the RNX-GX4
ripcurl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Rosewill RNX-GX4 Reply with quote
I was browsing the forums and ran by this post.

I bought three of these today for 24.99. Seems there is a special going on starting today and running through 1/06/10. I got the code in my email this morning. Here is the code if anyone is interested EMCMNPM53

Not sure if this is alright to post, this is my first post, but wanted to help out if anyone is interested in this device.

Enjoy
ripcurl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 16:00    Post subject: Rosewill RNX-GX4 Reply with quote
At Newegg
beastiebob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just ordered one of these and want to set it up as a repeater. I couldn't find much out there on flashing via the Netcore hardware for this one on the wiki. Being a novice here, could somebody provide any tips on installation? Mainly should I just treat it like a Linksys and upload the firmware twice (mini -> stnd), does anybody know if it has the same restrictions? I would welcome any tips to share from flashing since I really don't wan to brick this on my 1st try... Thanks
tzjwxwhi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've bought this one also. it's quite simple to upgrade. you could follow my instruction.

1~ 192.168.1.1
2~ input username/password, default are guest/admin
3~ click the "administration" at the left
4~ click "Upgrade frimware"
5~ click "browse" , upgrade the dd-wrt file you've downloaded from dd-wrt website.
6~ wait for 2~3 minutes , then unplug the powerline ,and plug in, wait about 2 minutes, then go to 192.168.1.1, then done.

if you can't see the first page of DD-WRT firmware, "Refresh" might help.
In addition, this model needs to go to "vlan option", uncheck the “W”column, then "save" and “apply”, then check “W” again then "save" and "apply".
mikedep33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
tzjwxwhi wrote:

5~ click "browse" , upgrade the dd-wrt file you've downloaded from dd-wrt website.

Can you confirm that it accepts the generic (broadcom) 4MB images like I linked to above?
tzjwxwhi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried three versions above

dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin
dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin

they works fine for this model, as regard to the last one VOIP_Generic.bin, I think it will also work.
ozaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
tzjwxwhi wrote:

In addition, this model needs to go to "vlan option", uncheck the “W”column, then "save" and “apply”, then check “W” again then "save" and "apply".

Just bought this one on Newegg. Flashed DD-WRT and follow the above to untick port "w" in Vlan1 and apply then tick it again and apply. It actually works fine now. Thanks for the information.
Ibrahimovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:01    Post subject: unbrick Rosewill RNX-GX4 (recovery process) Reply with quote
I've just un-bricked my RNX-GX4. I found the recovery process from RNX-GX4's customer reviews Wink
The following is the process for someone bricked this router.

1. Downlod Rosewill original firmware from http://www.rosewill.com/Commons/SearchResult.aspx?key=rnx-gx4&st=2
2. change the name to upgrade_linux.trx and place it under "c:\GX4 recovery" (new create)
3. download cisco tftp server and place under "c:\GX4 recovery"
4. manually change your computer’s IP to "192.168.1.33"
5. turn on RNX-GX4
6. Change cisco tftp server’s option’s file path to "c:\GX4 Recovery"
7. When seeing the cisco tftp server comes out with “#########”, then wait for a minutes or more, then UNBRICKED!!

It's quite simple and do not need JTAG or other tools. I think maybe I can try upload something else !! Twisted Evil
ozaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23    Post subject: WDS and MAC address help Reply with quote
I've been using Rosewill with DD-WRT for a while. Everything is going great! Since I need to extent the wireless area, I need to set WDS on my the other Rosewill router with DD-WRT. However, I found that becuase of uploading DD-WRT, two routers have the same MAC address! Could someone help me with adjust MAC address?

In adiition, in DD-WRT's WDS "help" page, it shows
"3. On the first router, take the numbers next to Wireless MAC and enter them in to the second router on the same line that you set to "LAN"." I was wondering what "the numbers next to Wireless MAC" is? Dose it mean the wireless MAC show on the screen +1 and type in the second router?
Ibrahimovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:22    Post subject: Re: WDS and MAC address help Reply with quote
ozaki wrote:
I've been using Rosewill with DD-WRT for a while. Everything is going great! Since I need to extent the wireless area, I need to set WDS on my the other Rosewill router with DD-WRT. However, I found that becuase of uploading DD-WRT, two routers have the same MAC address! Could someone help me with adjust MAC address?

Some MAC address might be cleaned when you flashed to DD-WRT (nvram cleaned), but it's easy to be sovled. Here is my suggesion:
1. write down the original MAC address in your "Rosewill" firmware (LAN MAC address)
2. After flashed to DD-WRT, the MAC will be changed to 00:90:4c:c0:00:01 or others.
3. telnet 192.168.1.1 and then input login/pw as root/admin
4. type command as following (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the original LAN MAC address)

nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
nvram commit
reboot
5.DONE

PS: You could also type the command in DD-WRT's Administration>commands tab then run command and save startup script. It also works~
xhanzo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
i upgraded my RNX-GX4 to the dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin firmware
hoping that i could get it to work,
but somehow my WAN isnt working.
is there a way for me to flash it back
to the rosewill firmware?

i tried the tftp2.exe method
but i couldnt seem to get it to work.
Ibrahimovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
xhanzo wrote:
i upgraded my RNX-GX4 to the dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin firmware
hoping that i could get it to work,
but somehow my WAN isnt working.
is there a way for me to flash it back
to the rosewill firmware?

i tried the tftp2.exe method
but i couldnt seem to get it to work.

You could simply enter DD-WRT firmware and :
go to "vlan option", uncheck the “W”column, then "save" and “apply”, then check “W” again then "save" and "apply" <====this could solve the WAN isn't work.

The way to flash back to rosewill firmaware:(the same as unbricked):

1. Downlod Rosewill original firmware from http://www.rosewill.com/Commons/SearchResult.aspx?key=rnx-gx4&st=2
2. change the name to upgrade_linux.trx and place it under "c:\GX4 recovery" (new create)
3. download cisco tftp server and place under "c:\GX4 recovery"
4. manually change your computer’s IP to "192.168.1.33"
5. turn on RNX-GX4
6. Change cisco tftp server’s option’s file path to "c:\GX4 Recovery"
7. When seeing the cisco tftp server comes out with “#########”, then wait for a minutes or more, then UNBRICKED!!

You also could:
1. Manually set IP=192.168.1.33 default gateway: 192.168.1.1
2. put the firmware to c:\
2. "Start">"RUN">type cmd
3. cd c:\
4. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put "xxxxxx.trx" Do NOT place "Enter" Yet!!! (xxxxxx.trx is the firmware you wanna upload)
5. hold "reset" (back of router) plug power line until all led on (about 2 seconds) Then Place "ENTER"!!
6. Wait for 20 seconds and it shows your upload information.

If it shows "Timeout occurred", you could try again.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: