QoS with FIOS / DOCSIS 3.0 speeds.. where to find cpu?

netmasque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26    Post subject: QoS with FIOS / DOCSIS 3.0 speeds.. where to find cpu? Reply with quote
Greetings,

I have been a very long time user of dd-wrt, and up until last year, always used it on a WRT54G (or wrt54g-L after the initial ones died).

Getting a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a 50mbps download package, i've found that when using QoS, the router falls over.

I then went to a WRT610N, which had the fastest CPU in the hardware list just about, but of course, the support/stability on that platform isn't quite solid. (I don't even use wireless on it, not enabled.. still not quite solid).

Even with that CPU, the router would severely limit download speeds when QoS was enabled. When disabled, it worked fine.

I need to keep QoS running to prioritize voice and other traffic, background bulk downloads, etc. (Also, need to ensure I never hit my providers cap, which introduces severe latency).

Is there a hardware recommendation for being able to handle these higher bandwidths? Was it a fluke that the CPU falls over? (I mentioned it in the WRT610N thread, and it seems it was expected..)

If it is expected, is it time to go X86 with a much more powerful machine? Does DD-WRT happen to sell a router that addresses this?

Thanks for reading..

-netmasque
Sponsor
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure it's a CPU issue???

this look like QOS mistype. I mean wrong value for the Wshapper (upstream downstream).

Could you make a screen copy of your QoS Section? this will be helpfull to solve your problem

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
netmasque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Are you sure it's a CPU issue???

this look like QOS mistype. I mean wrong value for the Wshapper (upstream downstream).

Could you make a screen copy of your QoS Section? this will be helpfull to solve your problem

Seems to be, CPU load would sit at 1.0, interface to the unit would crawl, etc.

QoS - enabled
HTB
downlink kbps: 20000 (my max is 22528 WITHOUT "burst" which goes up to about 30 (somewhat consistently))
uplink kbps: 4000 (my max is 5120)

NOT optimized for gaming

Then I have NNTP in background, and some specific IPs for my skype phones express, ventrilo express, and everything else defaults to normal.

I tried without a ruleset at all, just the downlink/uplink, I tried wrenching the downlink/uplink down further.. cpu would still peg to 1.0. (on the wrt54g-l and the wrt610n.. however the wrt610n can't really keep from rebooting every couple days (even with the latest brainslayer code and NO wireless enabled..)

So at the moment, i'm back to just no QoS at all, and not using the wrt610n.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
try this:

QoS set on "Lan & Wlan" instead of "Wan"
UpStr: 54000
Downstr: 54000

apply and reboot the device

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
netmasque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
try this:

yzy-oui-fi wrote:
try this:

Tried this.. Before QoS on DD-WRT (As well as on new model Apple airpotr extreme), I pull an average 2.13 MB/sec (megabytes) while downloading 1 gigabytes of data remotely. With out QoS, DD-wrt is running about .30 load average.

------------

After enabling the settings you asked for,

The web interface to DD-wrt is almost completely non-responsive, load average is 2.79

My maximum download rate can spike to 1.7MB/sec, but is now averaging 1.5MB/sec

---

I stop my download, load changes back to .35.. interface is quick again.

---

I then added actual QoS rules, to send my download traffic to 'bulk', and leave things like Vent, WoW, in express.. download speed is about the same, load average fluctuates between 2.5 and 4.0

Code version: Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) vpn

root@firewall:~# uptime
00:29:58 up 30 min, load average: 2.86, 1.98, 1.26

Top cpu eaters:
Load average: 2.42 2.07 1.35 4/19 10258
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %MEM %CPU COMMAND
3 1 root RWN 0 0.0 47.7 [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
9182 1 root S 1464 11.2 32.5 resetbutton

(resetbutton using 32%??)

So it seems, when QoS is on, the thing crawls.. your setting of 54000 kilobytes should be 52.7 megabytes, so it certainly shouldn't have limited it at all.

Any thoughts?
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you really imagine that Qos service will not take Cpu charge??

Quote:
So it seems, when QoS is on, the thing crawls.. your setting of 54000 kilobytes should be 52.7 megabytes, so it certainly shouldn't have limited it at all.

So if you look at my post i told you to set QoS on Lan and Wlan inside(So 54000 is very near from 54Mbps this put wlan and lan on same level) instead of Wan(which is pending your Isp bandwidth) . When Working on Lan& Wlan the Wan side would be Adaptativ, so if you don't know exactly the wan bandwidth...it doesn't matter.

But maybe you have a release or device issue, because i use this settings on wi-man since V24 RC3 released...without any probleme of gui access.

Try also to rule your tcp and udp timeout (120 on each is a good value if you don't have any pptp service running)
you could also rule your MTU (~1472)
select Tx and Rx antenna if you use wireless.

Also unset the web Gui and use the SSH to manage your device.
Web Gui which is the reason of your Cpu charge increase (you try to download and at the same time send a request to the httpd of your router)...it is a well known issue. so this seems logical to have only 1,5 M/s at this step

allow a daily restart to refresh your router cache.

then you could have something very sympathic!

netmasque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Did you really imagine that Qos service will not take Cpu charge??

Quote:

So if you look at my post i told you to set QoS on Lan and Wlan inside(So 54000 is very near from 54Mbps this put wlan and lan on same level) instead of Wan(which is pending your Isp bandwidth) . When Working on Lan& Wlan the Wan side would be Adaptativ, so if you don't know exactly the wan bandwidth...it doesn't matter.

But maybe you have a release or device issue, because i use this settings on wi-man since V24 RC3 released...without any probleme of gui access.

Try also to rule your tcp and udp timeout (120 on each is a good value if you don't have any pptp service running)
you could also rule your MTU (~1472)
select Tx and Rx antenna if you use wireless.

Also unset the web Gui and use the SSH to manage your device.
Web Gui which is the reason of your Cpu charge increase (you try to download and at the same time send a request to the httpd of your router)...it is a well known issue. so this seems logical to have only 1,5 M/s at this step

allow a daily restart to refresh your router cache.

then you could have something very sympathic!

No, I didn't think it would NOT take a CPU charge at all, I'm a network engineer for one of the largest websites in the world.. I know a bit about it. The QoS setting has always been on LAN/WLAN. (Though the WLAN isn't enabled at all, as I have a Cisco 5508 wireless controller and 4x 1252 11n APs in my house).

My original question was, is there router hardware, such as the hardware DD-WRT sells them selves, that is more up to the task, such as the 667mhz box coming out next month. I know the CPU is getting slammed, I was asking if it's known to work better on the faster CPUs, or if it's just a code problem in linux that isn't up to the task on this type of so-ho device (other I/O problem, broadcom limitation, etc)

It's not an MTU issue, and again, I'm not using wireless at all, it's 100% WIRED.

I can mimic the same results using an iperf test to a box on the other side of the router and eliminate the internet altogether.

it's also not a hardware issue, I have a wrt54gl, and a wrt610n, both had the same exact problem, except the wrt610n also reboots about every 2 days.

I'm sorry if all of that wasn't 100% clear in my initial post (it was though).
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgive you, time to time i'm not clear enough too! :)

concerning hardware limits, i think you are right there should be some limits using it with linux box....But to be honest i think you should directly ask this by e-mail to developpers which should be very aware about it.

netmasque
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
I forgive you, time to time i'm not clear enough too! :)

concerning hardware limits, i think you are right there should be some limits using it with linux box....But to be honest i think you should directly ask this by e-mail to developpers which should be very aware about it.

Cool, I think it's sort of expected behavior based on some comments in the 610n thread. I may pickup http://www.dd-wrt.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=724 once it's released just to compare. In the long run, I'm guessing just running the x86 revision on a little mini-itx box would be ideal.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: