Recommendations on Wireless-N router

slimshady26
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Recommendations on Wireless-N router Reply with quote
Hello,

I've been a big fan of dd-wrt and have been running it on a pair of linksys wrt54g v8's for a few years now.

I'm looking at upgrading to wireless-n as my broadband speeds have outgrown my wireless router.

My main purpose for this new router is to get the most out of my broadband connection. I don't really have anything wired other then my ooma voip device.

I like the dd-wrt interface and would prefer to stick with it as it provides so many configuration options.

I've only used linksys in the past so I'm starting to wonder if I should go with another brand.

Should I be cheap and go with a linksys 160N?

Should I bother with dual-band?

I assume gigabit would be a waste for me being I'm only really using it for wireless.

Any recommendations, or is there a list of the most popular wireless-n routers?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a list of supported N devices. The rest of your questions are personal preference/budget decisions.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices_802.11n

idmitriy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Linksys 160N is good cheap router. I would not go dual band unless you have lot of older G wireless clients and prefer your N on different frequency separate from G (that's my setup)

My DD-WRT Routers:
Netgear WNDR3300, Linksys WRT54G2, Asus WL-520GU, Dell TrueMobile 2300, Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444
tobee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to create new topic and my question is similar to OP.
First of all supported devices does not reflect recent changes for example Asus RT-N16 is supported now in recent Eko build.
I was using wl-500w for over 2 years with dd-wrt.
I had it bricked few times mostly after 40+ days uptime. After two short pinning restores i set up reset every 24h. I had to restore router once again few days ago. Today i found it broken again.

It all spoils down to thermal performance and design of routers. Does anyone of you use router 24/7 with 50+ connections 802.11n with mimo and lan clients without problems for more then 40d?
What company/model has best build quality and can sustain 24/7 traffic, mimo, lan and can run dd-wrt?
Changeable antennas are welcome as well ;)

I have SFF pc as linux server for proxy ssh tunnels remote desktop etc. it is too noisy though to work as router and is working headless with mimo 802.11n card.
ill_switch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
idmitriy wrote:
Linksys 160N is good cheap router.

That's what I have. It was dirt cheap - like $30 refurbished. It's been up for a little over a week now, not a single hiccup other than some weirdness getting one of my laptops to connect. No dropped connections, it was easy to put DD-WRT on, and gives good performance.

Quote:
I would not go dual band unless you have lot of older G wireless clients and prefer your N on different frequency separate from G (that's my setup)

That's what I wish I had. I DO have some G clients and some N clients. I'm sure sooner or later I'll just upgrade the G clients.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: