I think I bricked my gift ( WRT610Nv2 )

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 15:10    Post subject: I think I bricked my gift ( WRT610Nv2 ) Reply with quote
Already tried the 30/30/30, no go.

Read Eko's fix and no go.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54286

Here's what I did. Opened it up. Plugged it in. Flashed the Cisco firmware with the special firmware for WRT610N v2 (dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt610nv2.bin) -- just noticed that I should have TFTP'd it not did it via browser.

Anyways, that worked as I was seeing the new firmware pages (dd-wrt instead of Cisco/Linksys).

Then like a dummy I went to upgrade the firmware to 'dd-wrt.v24-9517_NEWD_mega.bin' (Eko).

Ever since then, the power light flashes.

Using Eko's fix, along with ping running constantly, after a power on (or plugging the power in), there are up to 4 lines of successful pings. After that, nothing. That's with 100full. With 10half, I get 2 successful pings.

Doing the jtag thing is not an option. I'd assume try to return it for an exchange and not be stupid the next go round instead of messing things up further.

Any advice on other things to try? I'd really truly prefer to recover from this and get it working properly and as one might imagine, I'm feeling a bit anxious about this right now and am hoping that my searches for this issue just didn't land me onto the right thing to try for a fix.

Oh also, I've done the 'arp -s' line but the ping command right after fails.

For everything that I've tried, I've done it separate from each other, just to clarify that I didn't try everything in one step.
Sad
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT610N under "Recovery"
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah Eko! Thank you for the quick reply.

Tried it and still nothing. Just how exact does the timing have to be for it to work? I'm trying to get it at the times it says but if it's required to be super precise then I'm either not hitting it just right or I am but it's still not working.

Also, how do I tell which CFE.xx version I have?

Reason I went for an Eko release is that I've been using it for a couple of years now. I'll continue to try following those steps on that Wiki page but unless I'm somehow doing something wrong and not realizing it, I don't think it's working for me.
Sad
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay...

I decided to go over things again. Here's what I tried..

Got computer set up (using a Netbook so that it's dedicated to the router and I can still use the desktop to browse the net).

Static IP address (192.168.1.100)

Two CMD windows open. One is doing a nonstop ping, other with tftp command line ready: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 boot.bin
Note: the boot.bin image is a copy of dd-wrt.v24-13401_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt610nv2.bin just named "boot.bin" to make it simple.

Have the TFTP window on top of the PING window, so I can see the pings but be ready to press the ENTER key asap.

Router unpowered (unplugged) for several seconds. Plugged in and as soon as I saw an ack response on the pings I pressed enter on the tftp line.
Transfer successful: 3384320 bytes in 4 seconds, 846080 bytes/s

Now the pings ack constantly (ie, not just a few lines and then quits responding). It's been over 10 minutes at this point and will try power cycling and the 30/30/30 (need to check other page first to see exactly what to do).

The pings are ttl=100, the power LED is still flashing. At this point I'm going to presume that I will be able to recover, but in the meantime, if there are any comments/advice (especially from Eko Very Happy ) then I'd definitely appreciate it. Will reply/edit with results.
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please use recovery GUI to upload new file.
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried what I said and it went back to no response.

Finally have it at ttl=100 again.

How do I get to the recovery gui? Is it just a matter of unplugged/replugging the power and trying to load 192.168.1.1?

If so, how many times does it USUALLY take before it starts to work (I've read about it sometimes taking 100 tries, but does it usually take that many)?

I know this must be frustrating to you to probably mention the same thing lots of times but right now I'm going to take the role of a dummy and want to make sure that I'm doing things 110% properly when told to do something. I've tried searching for recovery gui and am hunting for the actual instructions.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recovery gui:

1) Unplug ALL the cables from router
2) Plug ONLY power cable
3) Wait 1,5secs or 2secs AFTER plug power cable and hold reset for 5secs then release
4) Plug ethernet cable and set static ip to your computer: ip 192.168.1.10 / netmask 255.255.255.0 / gateway 192.168.1.1 and try to browse/load 192.168.1.1

It's all about timing, if I didn't made myself clear, Eko will explain better.
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I checked again. When you plug power, after some short time (~ 1s) the green LAN leds will all turn on. Good moment to press reset is when they turn off again.

I can get into recovery GUI every time doing it like this.

I hope you did unplug all lan/wan ethernet cables??

Please try again... good luck!
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some more tests, and seems that if nvram is erased (because you did 30-30-30), it is impossible to break into recovery GUI without serial console.
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK... you didn't hear this from me Smile and don't do it if not really last resort.

Unplug power, open the router, get really small screwdriver or pin, find flash chip and short pins as on picture. Keep shorted, plug power and keep it shorted for 5s, then release. Router is now in recovery mode. Plug LAN cable and open your browser to 192.168.1.1

Don't short any other pins!!!

Good luck!

wrt610nv2-flash-chip.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.5 KB
 Viewed:  54755 Time(s)

wrt610nv2-flash-chip.JPG

Last edited by Eko on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:01; edited 3 times in total
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I guess 30-30-30 is bad advise for new routers, correct?
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko:

Don't have the right tool to be able to open the case (and I discovered this after I broke the warranty sticker).

What about the fact that when I do the tftp thing, I am able to get a constant ping reply? Does that indicate that there is any hope of recovery (without opening the case)?
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eh.. use small flat screwdriver that can fit into screw just enough to grab it. It's easy.

No... ttl=100 means nothing. Cfe just waits for user input (console).
Wolfie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay and how do I actually open the dang thing?
Eko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolfie wrote:
Okay and how do I actually open the dang thing?

Never use force...., use bigger hammer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: