DD-WRT Firmwaresize

DARKHalf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:50    Post subject: DD-WRT Firmwaresize Reply with quote
Hi all there,
this is my first post and my english is not the best.
But lets start:

I've noticed that DD-WRT comes in several flavours and sizes. What makes most harm on my nerves is that I dont really have a choice what to install and what not.

Example? Well look at MOD MMC. If i choose mini or micro firmware this feature is not available. Very bad, because in small sized environments you need all sorts of memory expansions. And there it is missing Surprised
This is only ONE example of many.
rflow would be another.

So best would be if every piece of software which dd-WRT has, would be in ipkg available allowing the user to do a choice what he wants to use. So space would be used the most efficient way on the router.
My WRT54G has only 4MB of flash and there is no space left for jffs to activate when i enable ssh. This is extremely bad. :(

What do you think about that?

Greetings from Germany
Sponsor
malawi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess thats not the intention for DD-WRT. If you like something more flexible switch to OpenWRT. (Be warned: OpenWRT is not very user friendly and has a bare Webif. To use OpenWRT you must have good Linux command line knowledge)
DARKHalf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no problem with linux shells.
But because of the real bad webif of OpenWRT I already switched to dd-WRT.

So this is no option.

Maybe I have to compile a firmware image by myself with the dd-wrt source. Smile
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
DARKHalf wrote:
I have no problem with linux shells.
But because of the real bad webif of OpenWRT I already switched to dd-WRT.

So this is no option.

Maybe I have to compile a firmware image by myself with the dd-wrt source. Smile

Agreed, DD-WRT with optional modules would be great. Why don't you prototype a web script which can allow the user to select the modules he wants, resolve any dependencies, and then build a downloadable .bin file for flashing? This would solve your requirements and make many people quite happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
mmc needs also filesystem drivers and voila its not mini anymore

Navigation

Jump to: