SD/MMC mod for the WRT54G-TM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SamuelRock
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I poped the card in my laptop and gparted only picked it up as a 1GB!

I know the card at one time listed as 1.9GB or something to the sort, i had it in my IPAQ with 1.7GB of gps maps loaded on it. Any Who it is what it is!!

So I formated it to ext2 and poped it back in the linksys box and it worked like a champ!!

Thanks for the input, Now I am going dig around for some more SD cards to play with..

oo... what is the max amount of flash that can be installed in the GS .V4.0 I am getting mixed vibes from my searches!!
Sponsor
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem, glad you got it to work. The GPIO settings gave a few people some headaches. As for the formatting the card, I also believe its the build that determines the formatting. Not a clue as to why.

As for the SD card, I've noticed once you make it over 1GB the cards get really finicky. I've not found a single card over 2GB that works. I've only got a Kingston 2GB card to work, but I also had to format it first before sticking it in the unit.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doramius wrote:
No problem, glad you got it to work. The GPIO settings gave a few people some headaches. As for the formatting the card, I also believe its the build that determines the formatting. Not a clue as to why.

As for the SD card, I've noticed once you make it over 1GB the cards get really finicky. I've not found a single card over 2GB that works. I've only got a Kingston 2GB card to work, but I also had to format it first before sticking it in the unit.

Might want to give the new sd driver a go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just haven't gotten around to upgrading.
SamuelRock
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not think you could put over a 2GB card as the architecture changes after 2GB but you should be able to take it up to 2GB..

I have no idea what I am going to use all that space for yet.. The wrt projects have been on my radar for a long time, I do electronics and electrical as my day in and day out just got some time off work to play with them.

That coupled with the fact that I just got done hacking some TIVO directv units to share recorded programs and view/play video & music files across a network.

I have cisco adsl modem and cisco managed hubs in my house. I cold not set up a VPN from my cisco to non cisco ASDL modems so I needed something that was solid I could bridge my cisco modem to that would do VPN to other locations "ie my buddies house" so we can share TIVO and other media. We all have WRT54G units running for our 802.11 so after we set the DSL modem to bridge we just let the WRT54 do the dirty work :)

It just so happend that this project and my TIVO project crossed paths at the same time.

If you are into the whole linux world you should check out tivo hacking they run on linux too, I am about to start playing with the hardware in the TIVO and see if I can add more ram like I did to the linksys. TIVO also use a Broadcom chip set I think its a BCM7037.

I think I have modified just about every thing to do with my home entertainment system from programming the remotes with the JP-1 to the network the TIVO shares data on.

well I guess I will quit babbling on..

catch ya l8r.
wrtabuser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to sd mod my wrt54gl v 1.1 using this guide http://uanr.com/sdfloppy/ with a 512 mb noname sd card.
I preformated to ext2 adn manually entered the gpio pins to 2-4-3-7.
Dmesg gives me this error.
Confused:Is the mod itself ok and should only find a suitable sdcard?

Screenshot-192.168.2.1 - PuTTY.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.02 KB
 Viewed:  20488 Time(s)

Screenshot-192.168.2.1 - PuTTY.png

wrtabuser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never mind.
I succeeded by swapping the fdd edge with a kingston microsd adapter. The card i use is kingston 2gb microsd sd card.
My first attempt was a failure, still the card was not recognized, the gpio pins where correct selected.
The card file system was fat, and had some data on it, my mistake not to backup first Very Happy (i lost some pics Embarassed).
The way i make it work was hilarious. I saw the web interface the same bogus memory size 2 point 6 etc..., so i decided to give a try an press the router SES button. By magic the white led started to blink intermittent, then i realized the data was lost cause the router just started to format my card. After some time (1-2 minute+) the card was fully formatted (ext3 i believe) and accessible.
Today i'l try a 4gb sdhc microsd module.
Wink
wirelessrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 18:59    Post subject: Models it HAS worked on? Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone has found this to work on a WRT54GS v2 or 6?
zracer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Re: Models it HAS worked on? Reply with quote
wirelessrat wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has found this to work on a WRT54GS v2 or 6?

I used to do this upgrade all the time and yes, this should work on all version of wrt54g, wrt54gs, and wrt54gl however, the solder points will be different. Sorry I have not used the wrt54g routers in about 2 years now so I don't remember all the connections. Finally, I couldn't find it but the open wrt website used to have a good write up on this upgrade.

Quick keys:
1) use a sd/mmc mini with an adapter. use the adapter as the socket.
2) a dremel works great to cut out the slot, I used to put in above the wan port on the back. I used hot glue to secure it. Hot glue doesn't conduct electricity.
3) format sd/mmc on a unix system.

Good luck.

Edit: Found the link:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/customizing/hardware/mmc

Linksys wrt400n - wireless bridge

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
wirelessrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks alot! Really look forward to trying this.
Johny5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got my SD card mod working, so I thought I'd add the info I've gathered to this post. I'm using a wrt54gl v1.1 running dd-wrt v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std. I ended up using gpio ports 0, 2, 3, and 7 since I was already using gpio 4 as an unrelated input and I could not find gpio 5 despite hours of searching. I will eventually post pictures so those of you using a wrt54gl will have a reference since all the other related post I've found use other wrt versions.

The SD card I'm using is a toshiba 512mb. It was originally formated using FAT32 as I used it to transfer digital pictures from my camera to my windows machine. I decied to let the wrt reformat the card for me, and that was a mistake. It showed up as having a little over 2000k of available memory, which was obviously way off. After that I tried to format it using one of my linux machines, but it wouldn't even recognise it. I almost tossed it and tried a new card, but I ended up being able to reformat it as a FAT32 with a windows machine, and then reformat it again with a linux machine as ext3. Once I did that it worked like a charm.

Bottom line: Format your SD card first. It will take 2 seconds, but will possibly save you lots of trouble shooting time in the end.

If anyone is having problems with gpios for a wrt54gl feel free to pm me until I get around to posting the pictures.
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 14:24    Post subject: Quick Question about the SD/MMC Mod Reply with quote
I am assembling information and the need parts for this modification; but I have a quick hardware related question.

Can you use an SD to Micro SD adapter as your socket, I notice in the one mod picture that someone had a MicroSD plugged into the SD adapter, why not just use the SD to Micro SD adapter as your socket?

Can this be done?

Z3r0

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, miscroSD adapter is what i use now. Works a treat.
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great it just seems alot easier to attach to the router casing, they are cheap and readily available.

Thanx for the reply that make one part of the project much much easier!

Z3ro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 0:43    Post subject: I was wondering . . Reply with quote
wrtabuser wrote:
Yes, miscroSD adapter is what i use now. Works a treat.

Which, MicroSD Card, and Size you have found to work the best and easiest? I currently have a SanDisk 2gig, but i would get whatever will be the most likely to make a successful mod.

Z3r0

Navigation

Jump to: