TM - SD Mod.. Another one - problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 14:55    Post subject: TM - SD Mod.. Another one - problem Reply with quote
I modded a TM last weekend with an SD card reader. I don't know if I have a problem or not. I believe I do.

1st, I followed the wiki for the tm-sd mod. Then I compared to dhc_darkshadow's info he has in his sig for his tm.

I have checked, rechecked, and checked again using an ohm meter from the card holder, the the gpio connection points on the pcb. Everything is as it is supposed to be.

I have tried both a 256mb sd card (old, not high speed, nothing fancy), and a 2gb sd card (not old, but not high speed or anything fancy).

BTW.. When was the last time anyone went to the store looking for a 2gb card? Hard to find anything less that 8gb Shocked

It looks like it works.. When SD/MMC in enabled in the gui, the card inserted and the router booted, the white cisco led flashes with activity, the DMZ light goes on and off, the yellow cisco light lights up, goes off, lights up again. After a while, the dmz light goes out and the white cisco light quits flickering.. I assume the card was being formatted at this time. Subsequent boots after that, the dmz, the white cisco light, and the yellow cisco light show activity but for a very short time compaired to the initial format (if that is what is happening)

However, that's it.. running a dmesg|grep mmc shows that there is no mmc device installed on this board.. something like that.

I can't mount it (assuming I am doing that correctly).

In digging around, some suggest to preformat the card to ext2. Problem is, I don't really run linux.. I have a live cd but the usb port(s) are not seen on the rig(s) x 2 with the live cd so I can't format the sd card in the usb card reader.

I thought that the router formatted a fresh card on 1st powerup. Is the format really necessary on linux box?

As said, electrically everything checks out. It looks like things are happening when watching the leds. I have tried both auto and manually setting the gpio. dmesg always states that there is no sd card on the board.

Suggestions?

BTW.. I flashed an array of mini and std builds all the way back to 11296. That was interesting. It did not resolve my problem, but it was hit & miss is regards to support for the sd card in the mini builds. 12874 does not have an option for the sd card in the mini build.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Re: TM - SD Mod.. Another one - problem Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

In digging around, some suggest to preformat the card to ext2. Problem is, I don't really run linux.. I have a live cd but the usb port(s) are not seen on the rig(s) x 2 with the live cd so I can't format the sd card in the usb card reader.

Suggestions?

I do not know which live cd you tried? But have you tried gparted live cd? http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

It's been awhile since I have used it, but I think it should work to format the card.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I am not that knowledgeable with Linux either.

I am interested in how this turns out, as I might at some point try the mod myself.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 16:40    Post subject: Re: TM - SD Mod.. Another one - problem Reply with quote
68Firebird wrote:
barryware wrote:

Suggestions?

I do not know which live cd you tried? But have you tried gparted live cd? http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

It's been awhile since I have used it, but I think it should work to format the card.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I am not that knowledgeable with Linux either.

I am interested in how this turns out, as I might at some point try the mod myself.

Thanks... I try it tonight. I am not so sure that is my problem though. It was just suggested in other threads. It sure looks like the card is formatting though. The card shows on the gui but the size is wrong. Actually if I remove the card, it still shows on the gui. mmc 2.xxxx.00kb/0

Pre-formatting the card sure can't hurt though.. Once it is seen in dmesg, then I gotta figure out how to mount it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well don't give up, I am having all sorts of problem's with mine. Seems that fraters "optware the right way" is probable best suited for a usb external. I've tryed 2 different 2gig cards and still have all sorts of problems. I hope there is a new BS build soon. I'd like to try that new mmc driver.

I think maybe the cpu is getting bogged down with doing what it should be doing a writing/readying to the card. It maybe causing write errors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
Well don't give up, I am having all sorts of problem's with mine. Seems that fraters "optware the right way" is probable best suited for a usb external. I've tryed 2 different 2gig cards and still have all sorts of problems. I hope there is a new BS build soon. I'd like to try that new mmc driver.

I think maybe the cpu is getting bogged down with doing what it should be doing a writing/readying to the card. It maybe causing write errors.

Thanks d~.. For now my problem is that is says the board has no mmc card (paraphrasing) when doing a dmesg|grep mmc. In searching, I found a few of your posts with somewhat the same problem(s) back in the day.

1st, I'll format the card ext2 and see what happens. As long as I got your attention, I need a few folders / directories.. /jffs, /jffs/opt, what else as long as I am at it?

Edit: It sorta sounds like the sd mod isn't worth the effort.. It was something to do.. I'll see about getting it working, then figure out what to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

Thanks d~.. For now my problem is that is says the board has no mmc card (paraphrasing) when doing a dmesg|grep mmc. In searching, I found a few of your posts with somewhat the same problem(s) back in the day.

1st, I'll format the card ext2 and see what happens. As long as I got your attention, I need a few folders / directories.. /jffs, /jffs/opt, what else as long as I am at it?

Yea after a big file download and install via opt my card does the same thing I have to power cycle the router. Than sometimes that don't work. I just go to let it be for a wile then power cycle it. I did a serial readout and it looks like it get half way through the format then burps and tries again 3 times be for it finally say F-It. I had to partition and format my card ext2 in Ubuntu witch I have running under wubi so I don't think that's even doing it right.

As far as directories go, that's about all i have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you upgraded your power supply to 12VDC 5A?

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40464

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a 12v 13a ATX PSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Masterman wrote:
Have you upgraded your power supply to 12VDC 5A?

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40464

I read that tut.. Yes I did try a 5 amp ps for the format (if that is what it is doing) with the same results. Testing on the bench as I play with this, I have a 2.5 amp ps.

A while ago when the power supply issue was the buzz, I oc'd a gl to 233mhz and did a wireless transfer. Its maximum current draw was 0.88 amps. This assumes my meter was accurate and my temporary connections were adequate not to effect the measurement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try an Ubuntu live disk. It should recognize your PC's USB drivers. Plus it has FF pre-installed.
Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
When Mine has a hicup I get this in serial output

Code:
mmc: starting module with: SD_DI=0x4, SD_DO=0x10, SD_CLK=0x8, SD_CS=0x80
Work around for large cards >= 1gb !
Attention : Card reports to have a block_len of 1024 bytes, cutting down to 2 x
512 bytes !
Size = 1993728, hardsectsize = 512, sectors = 3987456
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev mmc(121,1).
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
249856 inodes, 1992028 blocks
99601 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
244 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
1024 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409, 663553,
        1024001, 1990657

Writing inode tables: 159/244

It freezes there for about 5 seconds, then reboots doing this cycle 3 times. On the forth I get

Code:
mmc: this board has no MMC mod installed!
mmc: error in mmc_init (-1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
When Mine has a hicup I get this in serial output

Code:
Work around for large cards >= 1gb !
Attention : Card reports to have a block_len of 1024 bytes, cutting down to 2 x
512 bytes !
Size = 1993728, hardsectsize = 512, sectors = 3987456
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev mmc(121,1).
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
249856 inodes, 1992028 blocks
99601 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
244 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
1024 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409, 663553,
        1024001, 1990657

Writing inode tables: 159/244

It freezes there for about 5 seconds, then reboots doing this cycle 3 times. On the forth I get

Code:
mmc: this board has no MMC mod installed!
mmc: error in mmc_init (-1)

This is during a format of a fresh card? I notice that the router is busy in regards to the led's, white cisco light is blinking away, yellow cisco is solid, dmz led is solid.. then the white cisco let is off, the dmz led is off, but the yellow cisco light stays lit even though I have no wan connection.

A reboot, same thing happens but for a short time. Sometimes the yellow cisco light stays on, sometimes it goes out due to no wan connection..

Actually, I have a couple of slugs.. I think I can format a usb reader to ext2 in that. I'll try booting to a new cd 1st..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm downloading ubuntu live CD to give that a shot. Man is is a slow download...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
I'm downloading ubuntu live CD to give that a shot. Man is is a slow download...

Did you check the wiki for "slow downloads"? Razz

I've got that ISO that I recently downloaded (a few weeks ago), I don't recall what version it is. Never made the cd (dvd). I am going to try dparted that is linked in this thread later tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

Did you check the wiki for "slow downloads"? Razz

I've got that ISO that I recently downloaded (a few weeks ago), I don't recall what version it is. Never made the cd (dvd). I am going to try dparted that is linked in this thread later tonight.

Is that like with a stick of dinomite, dparted? Laughing

Navigation

Jump to: