WL-520GU Heatsink and fan mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19    Post subject: WL-520GU Heatsink and fan mod Reply with quote
I bought myself a WL-520GU, because I could use it for torrent downloading with external usb disk. I flashed it with dd-wrt micro-usb, then installed the optware and got it running. After some three hours it froze and it froze very often. I thought it was some unstable firmware, so I decided to dive tomato with usb support a shot. Got it running and it still froze, then I opened it up (void my warranty) and putted it running, and CPU went so hot, that it was burning. Then it was time for cooling mod, a piece of some old heatsink and a laptop fan did the job. I had to use a resistor for laptop fan otherwise it would have been too noisy. I used 30 ohm resistor. And one problem was with mounting the fan, I had to take the capacitor away. Smile From the outside it looks like before.

It is working fine now. Uptime 21 hours.

Pics:

[/url]

Last edited by Kaar3l on Mon Nov 02, 2009 20:20; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
R5R
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i just bought the same router and i wanted to enhance the cooling of the router also, but i wanted to know did you wire the fan onto the routers motherboard? Also do you think having the fan could overstress the power adapter because the router isnt made to have that extra power consumption.

Thanks
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wired the fan to the motherboard. I thought that it's not good for power adapter, but it didn't go any hotter than before.

I had one problem with a external usb hdd too, it didn't want to start up, it had not so much power from usb port. I hooked up a Sony Ericsson chanrger that was 5V 250mW, and that combined with router, the disk starts up like charm. Smile
R5R
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh i heard it cant power usb hds but thiers ways around that like you said.

Im going to leave the stock heatsink maybe replace the heat paste and then add a tiny(size of a quarter) fan i pulled from a laptop a 5V 0.9W,

Also could you tell me where exactly you connect the negative and positive for the fan? I attached you pic with Letters for the locations where i thought it might have to be wired. (If its location A which points are the negative and positive)

Thanks really appreciate your help.
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I attached mine to C. Directly to the socket where the power comes into the router. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: