WHR-G300N - cannot communicate with DNS server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
new2ddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:32    Post subject: WHR-G300N - cannot communicate with DNS server Reply with quote
Hello:

After successfully upgrading this unit with DD-WRT, was able to log in the web-gui with new password setup. Connection to internet was very brief, since then, it can only connect between the router and pc. The internet connection is having a problem with this message - cannot communicate with DNS server.
Can anyone help me how to trouble shoot this issue?

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsor
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this:
- Get a screenshot(s) of your router's Status > WAN page and your computer's TCP/IP dialog page.
Attach it here, so we can see your settings.

-Set the router's Wireless Mode = AP. Save.
-In Setup > MAC Address Clone page, Enable it, and Get Current PC MAC address.
-Save, and apply settings. Wait until it's done.

-Unplug Internet modem, router, and make sure Windows Network Connection for your adapter for TCP/IP is set to automatically obtain an IP and DNS server address.

-Disable Windows Network Connection temporarily.

-Plug-in Internet modem, and wait 1 min until modem re-initializes and blinking lights settles down.

-Plug-in router, and wait 1 min for the same above reason.
The router should automatically get its Gateway and two DNS numbers from your ISP provider.

-Enable your Windows Network Connection client.

----------------------------------------------------------
- Go to DD-WRT router(probably 192.168.1.1) in browser, go to Status > WAN page.
- Copy or write down the IP number, subnet, Gateway number, and the two DNS 1 & 2 numbers.

- Go to Setup > Basic Setup page
- Enter the two DNS numbers into the Static DNS 1 & 2 fields.
- Optional: Enter your router's Gateway number for Static DNS 3.
- Make sure DHCP Server = Enable.

- Save, and apply settings

- Disable your computer's network adapter connection, and re-enable it.
- Open browser, and see if you can access the Internet.

- Report the results.

- Get a screenshot(s) of your router's Status > WAN page and your computer's TCP/IP dialog page.
Attach it here, so we can see your settings.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w
m2toby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Re: WHR-G300N - cannot communicate with DNS server Reply with quote
new2ddwrt wrote:
Hello:

After successfully upgrading this unit with DD-WRT, was able to log in the web-gui with new password setup. Connection to internet was very brief, since then, it can only connect between the router and pc. The internet connection is having a problem with this message - cannot communicate with DNS server.
Can anyone help me how to trouble shoot this issue?

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I got the similar situation. This problem was happened randomly only in G300N, but not in my G125 or Linksys WRT54G

For example I can go www.dd-wrt.com in this moment. But I cannot go after a few clicks, even cannot ping www.dd-wrt.com, host not found.
new2ddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Re: WHR-G300N - cannot communicate with DNS server Reply with quote
Thanks. bbb_forever

Follow your instructions, after two attemps, it worked for about four minutes and then lost connection. Tried again, though it reconnected showing with active internet status, I cannot access the internet at all. After a few clicks, the internet status was gone and it gave me same the old message that I encountered. Plugged in my old RangeMax, my connection was immediately picked up. My WHR-G300N worked perfectly fine before I flashed it with DD-WRT using the latest version 13064. I am not a technical guy and may have done something incorrectly to get it running. Will attach the screenshots of my settings for you to review.

Thanks.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look in the WHR-G300N main thread to see if a newer build is available for your specific router model.

On the Airlink AR670W, Build 13064 caused the LAN ports to get mis-directed to an unknown destination.
So there is a newer build 13069 for the Airlink routers.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: