Slim Samba2 stalls during file transfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ZAmodeo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29    Post subject: Slim Samba2 stalls during file transfer Reply with quote
Slim Samba2 usually works well for me, especially when used sparingly for small files.

When I try to transfer (read or write) many files one after the other, or a few big files one after the other, the file transfer will stop.

When this happens, ls /mnt produces no output, and trying to restart the Samba Server by means of the samba2.usb script stalls at "checking to see if /mnt is mounted". I have tried running unplug.usb, and umount /dev/disc/disc0/part1, etc. before re-running samba2.usb

Running "mount" alone shows that disc0 doesn't have any partitions mounted, but samba2.usb seems to not be able to re-mount the partition.

The cause appears to be something about transferring lots of large files, and the effect is that the disk disappears from DD-WRT. However, when I look at 192.168.1.1 at the Services --> USB page, the disk information still shows up, and this page says that the disk is mounted at /mnt (where it belongs), even if the partitions have been unmounted.

Any thoughts on why this might happen? Or is there a chance I would have better luck with HDsamba?

Thanks!
Sponsor
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm... you might want to do a disc check on the partition. You'll need to do that from a linux installation, maybe from a LiveCD.

Or enable jffs and do something like:
cd /jffs
/bin/ipkg update
/bin/ipkg install e2fsprogs
umount /mnt
/jffs/sbin/e2fsck -fvy /dev/discs/disc0/part1
/jffs/sbin/e2fsck -fvy /dev/discs/disc0/part3
hans_lt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about average router load ?
It starts to climb to incredible 10, 20, 30... ???

If yes i would say - problem is usb 2.0 driver. It locks up, and disk is not accessible till reboot.

Read wrt610N thread, posts from mk01 and me.
We have some workaround tested on 610N, usb 2.0 driver from openwrt.

Wl0 25 mW N-only, Wl1 25 mW Mixed, 2.4+2.4 Ghz.
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06    Post subject: Re: Slim Samba2 stalls during file transfer Reply with quote
ZAmodeo wrote:

When I try to transfer (read or write) many files one after the other, or a few big files one after the other, the file transfer will stop.

Thanks!

I have noticed this on my setup too.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
hans_lt wrote:

Read wrt610N thread, posts from mk01 and me.
We have some workaround tested on 610N, usb 2.0 driver from openwrt.

actually, we have a separate thread for this. I tried to document it, as we agreed.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58710

mk

ASUS WL500gP V2
rhdcheme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
mk01,

I am seriously considering implementing this workaround but I have a few questions. (I am a novice at this, so please bear with me and forgive me if my questions are rudimentary.)

1. The workaround can be used on Slim Samba2 without any modification?

2. You said that core USB support should be disabled, but should it be reenabled after copying the files and updating the startup script?

3. By copying the .zip files to /jffs/modules, do you mean the directory "jffs/modules" that is present after logging in to the router using, e.g., WinSCP?

4. If Hans-It's startup script is to be used for auto timing, that would be used instead of what you attached as "init.startup.zip" - right?

5. After doing the steps you outlined, do I just reboot the router?

Thanks in advance!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the tips everyone! I forgot to mention I'm running this on a WRT350N with DD-WRT SVN revision 12533.

MrAlvin: Good thought! I'm pretty sure the partitions are good, as I just reformatted a couple days ago (I had the same problem before the reformat.)

Everyone else: Yes, the problem appears to be the USB 2.0 driver. I just rebooted with only USB 1.1 enabled, and I'm having no trouble streaming a movie. I did have a problem when I was trying to copy a file - the Load went up to about 3 before I canceled it.

Question 1:
Is there any way to just replace the USB 2.0 driver? Or is the driver included with DD-WRT not a kernel module?

Question 2:
I've got a FAT32 partition for storage now, which I can change to something else if I have to. Is the NTFS kernel module from OpenWRT write enabled? I'm familiar with using the ext3 driver for Windows, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

rhdcheme:
1. To use the workaround, you would at least have to modify the line in the init.startup script that starts hdsamba to instead start samba2.usb (in /tmp) I don't think you'll need other modifications...

2. I think you need to leave core USB support disabled, as the init.startup script does all the driver loading for you.

3. If you already have a /jffs/modules directory that shows up on the FTP server through WinSCP, I think that's where you want to copy the files.
mk01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
rhdcheme wrote:
mk01,

I am seriously considering implementing this workaround but I have a few questions. (I am a novice at this, so please bear with me and forgive me if my questions are rudimentary.)

1. The workaround can be used on Slim Samba2 without any modification?

2. You said that core USB support should be disabled, but should it be reenabled after copying the files and updating the startup script?

3. By copying the .zip files to /jffs/modules, do you mean the directory "jffs/modules" that is present after logging in to the router using, e.g., WinSCP?

4. If Hans-It's startup script is to be used for auto timing, that would be used instead of what you attached as "init.startup.zip" - right?

5. After doing the steps you outlined, do I just reboot the router?

Thanks in advance!

2. your build-in core usb support should remain off. Otherwise DD-WRT will load own modules from /lib/modules

3. yes, unpack the attached .zip file and copy via winscp to /jffs/ present on your router. you probably need to create "modules" directory in it.

4. hans's scripts is the one, I attached as init.startup.zip

1. and 5. yes and no, I created all the samba stuff manually, so I don't know the samba slim setup. but if your current samba is loaded via dd-wrt startup script from /jffs/etc/config/hdsamba.start, then you don't need any modification. just replace this line in your dd-wrt startup scripts with "sh /jffs/modules/init.startup" (copy the script to the same dir as the modules). if it's different, modify init.startup accordingly. then reboot the router.

ASUS WL500gP V2
mk01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZAmodeo wrote:
Question 1:
Is there any way to just replace the USB 2.0 driver? Or is the driver included with DD-WRT not a kernel module?

Question 2:
I've got a FAT32 partition for storage now, which I can change to something else if I have to. Is the NTFS kernel module from OpenWRT write enabled? I'm familiar with using the ext3 driver for Windows, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

1. indeed it's a kernel module, embedded into the image. I don't have needed knowledge to modify fw (image) and replace the file inside.

2. attached NTFS is write enabled, but NTFS write support relies on the version of NTFS, you have on the disc. for sure, NT version is supported, some users reported that drives formatted with vista are read only, XP I don't remember.

ASUS WL500gP V2
ZAmodeo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for all of the information, everyone!

I just found this with a quick Google search: http://www.bitsum.com/firmware_mod_kit.htm

Looks like it will allow you to modify parts of a DD-WRT image easily, without having to recompile. I'm not running Linux at the moment so I don't have the ability to try it out, but if no one else is ambitious enough I may install Linux and try to figure it out the program this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: