Please help on this!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
AtApi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 23:29    Post subject: Please help on this!! Reply with quote
Hi im new on this.... i have a question:
I have a Linksys WRT54G 1.x with DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std - build 3932 on it, i have connected it to a remote router thru wireless so my router is in client mode and every things work perfect but im wondering if is possible to share the internet connection that come from the remote router to the wireless device in my area, a kind of repeater i think.. i tryed to connect the card of my laptop "Ad-hoc" with my router but it seams that no ip is released from my router cause is already in client mode.....
I hope that i was clear and sorry for my english,not my native languages...

Thanx
Sponsor
Griminal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
A router that is connected to another in client mode can't be used as an access point too. It's using it wireless interface exclusively for the client connection. A WDS configuration is what you're looking for. Read up on the following link and Good luck!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have my two WRT54G routers working great with WDS. However, I'd like for my main router (linked to cable modem) to be the only router that allows wireless access for other clients. I want my second router to just act as a bridge.

Is this possible with WDS? If so, how do I enable/disable this?

Thanks.
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could someone help me out with my previous question?
Griminal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
hogsdill wrote:
Could someone help me out with my previous question?

You don't need to use WDS. WDS is to allow wireless access at all APs. All you need to do is have the secondary router connect in client bridge mode. All clients connected to the Ethernet ports on the secondary router will have access to the network via the bridge connection. This will also increase your speed because WDS acts like a repeater and essentially cuts the bandwidth by a factor of 2.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does wireless bridging support WPA or WPA2? Right now I have WPA2 working with WDS. If wireless bridging doesn't support WPA2, then I'd rather have the lower bandwidth and higher security.

Also, I have dhcp turned off for my second router. Does this help with increasing bandwidth? Is there anything I can do to turn off wireless access to my second router to increase bandwidth while maintaining WDS?
Griminal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
hogsdill wrote:
Does wireless bridging support WPA or WPA2?

Yup.

hogsdill wrote:
Also, I have dhcp turned off for my second router. Does this help with increasing bandwidth?

Not really. DHCP uses next to nothing.

hogsdill wrote:
Is there anything I can do to turn off wireless access to my second router to increase bandwidth while maintaining WDS?

Yup. Use MAC filtering. Only allow the MAC of your primary router in the secondary router's filter table. (At least I think this is the case. Others can correct me.)

Client bridge mode will be your best bet. Better bandwidth and it supports all the security settings you're used to using.
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help. I'll give bridging a shot then.
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client bridging is just not working for me. I've tried all night to get the client to connect to my other router. The client router says that I've joined the network, but it just forwards me to the wireless basic settings page and never connects.
Griminal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
#7 Wireless Tab - Advanced Settings Subtab

1. Authentication Type: Shared Key
2. Click "Save Settings"

Try that on the client router. I always forget that. If not...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Example

Follow the above directions to the letter and you will have a working bridge connection.
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK..followed the guide and it works. However, it only works for WEP. I can't get client bridging to work with WPA or WPA2.

Is there a trick to get WPA to work? I tried different combinations of security and it never worked.
Griminal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
hogsdill wrote:
OK..followed the guide and it works. However, it only works for WEP. I can't get client bridging to work with WPA or WPA2.

Don't know. Never tried. Very Happy

I'm using 128 bit wep... but I live next to nowhere too. Wink
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Griminal wrote:

hogsdill wrote:

Does wireless bridging support WPA or WPA2?

Yup.

Griminal, I thought you said Client Bridging worked with WPA. Is this not true?
fastpakr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, it's incredibly helpful that he indicated that it worked and then admitted having no idea because he'd never checked. I have a client bridge working at the office using WPA, but have not been successful with WPA2 yet. If you're still having trouble, I'll go back over my settings with you to see if you've missed something. If somebody else has an answer to why WPA2 doesn't work, I'd love to hear it.
hogsdill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
fastpakr wrote:
I have a client bridge working at the office using WPA, but have not been successful with WPA2 yet. If you're still having trouble, I'll go back over my settings with you to see if you've missed something.

Thanks, if you don't mind, please let me know how your setup differs from the wiki Client Bridge setup. Like I said, I have everything working with WEP, but not WPA. So this tells me that my setup is correct, but something needs to change for WPA.

I've tried different settings to get WPA to work, but I must not have the right combination.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: