Stop mDNSResponder from Broadcasting on WAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ctempleton3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Stop mDNSResponder from Broadcasting on WAN Reply with quote
I have just installed the optional mDNSResponder OpenWRT package onto my WRT54G-TM router running dd-wrt.v24-11218_NEWD_mega.bin. I want to ensure that mDNSResponder will not it will not advertise my services upstream to the internet. How do I create a firewal rule (iptables) to block the mDNSResponder process from accesing the vlan1 interface? Also, how do I set these chanes to be stored so they will reload after reboot? Should I save them in the nvram or in a script on the /jffs partiton and call it in rc_startup?

I know that I can disable multicast on the vlan1 interface and it would fix the problem. What is the downside of this? I am not exactly sure if I need Multicast enabled on the WAN interface.

-Charles III

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, unless I'm confused, it should just be a matter of using the -i option of mDNSResponder to run it only on the LAN interface.

I'm attaching the startup script I use for mDNSResponder.

mDNSResponder.startup.zip
 Description:
mDNSResponder.startup

Download
 Filename:  mDNSResponder.startup.zip
 Filesize:  16.68 KB
 Downloaded:  667 Time(s)

WRT54GS / WRT54GL / EOC-2610
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: