Bridged wrt600n will not run at N Speeds on 5GHz radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:02    Post subject: Bridged wrt600n will not run at N Speeds on 5GHz radio Reply with quote
So I have two 600n

the 2.4 ghz radio is set as G only and is for wireless clients. The 5Ghz radio links the two together.

At one point in time I thought it was running at 270. but when I look at it now it wont pass 54Mbit. Ive tried channel width, mixed, NA-only and it still wont communicate with the bridge at 270...Any ideas.

Running EKO v24-tng 12774 newd-2

EDIT: If I use the 2.4 GHZ radio it works fine
Sponsor
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try these advanced settings on the 5Ghz band.
I use channel 60 Upper 40Mhz and your security should be WPA2-AES, also you should turn your ACK timing = 0. Here are some other settings for the Advanced Wireless settings you can try:

CTS Protection mode=Enabled
Frame Burst=Disabled
Beacon Interval=100
Preamble=Auto
TX power=71
Afterburner=Disabled
WMM Support=Enabled

Now go to Administration Tab and change these settings:
IP Filtering Settings
Max ports=4096
TCP and UDP Timeouts to 90

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Channel 60 - Done
Upper 40 - Done
WPA2-AES - Was already running
ACK 0 - Was already there
CTS - Auto (there is no Enable)
Framebust - Disabled (Was enabled)
Beacon 100 - Was already there
Preamble Auto - Was set to long
Afterburner Disabled - was already there
TX 71 - Was already there
WMM - Already enabled

IP Filtering settings were already configured as such

I also changed the bridge's applicable settings

Same results...Intresting what I do see is that if I look at the status page On the router it shows channels
60-62 @ 81 Mbps now (flucuates between 54 and 81)
Looking at the bridge it only shows channel 62

As a General rule I also disable ssid broadcast...but i renabled it....It had no effect
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also just tried newd vs newd-2, hardreset in between...didnt make a difference...this used to work fine.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
zikronix wrote:
I also just tried newd vs newd-2, hardreset in between...didnt make a difference...this used to work fine.

Be aware that 270Mbit/s is the theoretical throughput under perfect to near perfect conditions. Don't expect the best. I don't get any better than an average of 100Mbps, and I'm about 3 feet from the router.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
when I fist set them up they worked at 270 fine...it would drop to like 190 at times but for the most part it would be 270.

Im using the 5ghz radio to supply the back bone from the router to the bridge. and the g radio off the ap for wireless clients

If i configure it for the 2.4 side it works fine. its the 5ghz side that "suddenly" developed this problem

the bridge is configured just for that not a repeater or any of that jazz just a wireless bridge.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like I said, just because it can run at 270Mbps, don't mean it will. The A band, at 5 to 5.8GHz, is more likely to suffer from attenuation than B/G. Higher frequencies are more easily absorbed and blocked by materials that present less of a obstacle to lower frequencies.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are right...but the fact that it worked fine a few months back, then i upgraded the firmware and it hasnt worked right sense
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 270 connection that you see in status is a theorietical maximum that is a reflection of the signal quality and has nothing to do with actual throughput. It really doesn't mean a lot. It only reflects the speed that the signal quality could support, which is meaningless if you are trying to connect wireless clients through a bridged router where the actual speed will be well below half what is reported in that screen. My router shows 270 when no clients are connected to it and throughput is actually zero.

If it is now different than in previous builds, it is likely due to the number being reported more accurately.

So...if that number is dropping from 270 something is interfering with the signal....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understand that even though it says 270 it may or may not be running at that. The problem is now its "Stuck" at 54 (Real Speed) which taking overhead into consideration is not fast enough to stream the crap i do from one side to the other. Trust me I understand theory...except this isnt a "Theory" problem.....This is a real Problem

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24947&start=930

I am not crazy and am not the only one with this issue...LOL
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obviously if the connection quality or devices drop the max connection speed down to 54, your throughput will not be more than this. Having a G client will do that, but that shouldn't be possible with a NA only connection. To get higher speeds you would need to fix your status first. My point was that you need a good signal quality to do that.

There was a issue I was having with a build where I could connect with a G device to an N only radio, but I think that was prior to the build you were using. You might try BS 12874.

Also, Freddie802 had some information on this, I believe. Might want to search some of his posts.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
zikronix wrote:

Be aware that 270Mbit/s is the theoretical throughput under perfect to near perfect conditions. Don't expect the best. I don't get any better than an average of 100Mbps, and I'm about 3 feet from the router.

Just wanted to mention, though you already know this, but being that close to the router you should definitely lower your TX to 28mw on the 5Ghz band.

zikronix wrote:
Im using the 5ghz radio to supply the back bone from the router to the bridge. and the g radio off the ap for wireless clients

I'm a little confused here. What is your primary router(AP) and how far away are your routers from each other?
Confused

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Blazian]

Just wanted to mention, though you already know this, but being that close to the router you should definitely lower your TX to 28mw on the 5Ghz band.
[/quote]

zikronix wrote:

I'm a little confused here. What is your primary router(AP) and how far away are your routers from each other?
Confused[/quote]

My TX is set at 30mw (when I was testing they were only 3ft from each other, this was to try to figure out wtf is going on) on average the routers are 50 ft apart in a tile house. I mentioned that it used to report 270 with an actual speed of about 160-200Mb

now for what ever reason it sticks at 54 which taking in to account for over head of the bridge id piss poor.

Heres the config

Router #1 (main ap)
2.4Ghz for wireless clients (Has been set to mixed or g only)
5Ghz for backbone to bridge

Router #2 (bridge)

2.4G Off
5G, configured in client bridge mode

All devices on the bridge recieve their ip, etc from the main ap

The thought that, If you have G device connecting to the network it will lower speeds...thats not the issue here for two reasons. 1) Im using two totally different radios, not a single wireless client is connecting to the 5G radio. 2) thats against "N" standards. N is supposed to operate at full speed at all times no matter the client technology connected.

Remember everything worked fine until i flashed it with a new eko firmware. Rolling back did not fix the problem. It appears thed radio is operating at A speeds and not N speeds.
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
zikronix wrote:
Remember everything worked fine until i flashed it with a new eko firmware. Rolling back did not fix the problem.
That would imply the problem is somewhere other than simply the build number, wouldn't it? How could the older build "know" you had a newer one previously flashed?
zikronix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
modervador wrote:
zikronix wrote:
Remember everything worked fine until i flashed it with a new eko firmware. Rolling back did not fix the problem.
That would imply the problem is somewhere other than simply the build number, wouldn't it? How could the older build "know" you had a newer one previously flashed?

well i know its not the N radio on the 5ghz being a problem. Because the fluke tools can connect to it fine...and im not the only one having this problem so its gotta be config or bug...and the old firmware wouldnt know unless the 30/30/30 isnt wiping something from the nvram or there is something left behind even after reflashing...tonight im going to the linksys firmware and then ill flash back. see what happens.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: