Share Flash Drive between Router and PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
dave981
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02    Post subject: Share Flash Drive between Router and PC Reply with quote
Ok, here's an interesting one that I can't figure out (not sure if it's even feasible):

I have a linksys WRT-54GL, and a buffalo WHR-G125 - but wouldn't have any problems going out to buy a different router (or other hardware), if this can be accomplished.

I have a _really_ old PC. Unfortunately it does not support networking capability (no drivers / no alternative options), but it does have a USB 1.1 port that can read/write to a USB Drive (e.g. flash thumb drive). Via this "USB Drive" connection I want to connect the old computer to my routers flash memory. I want both the router to be able to read/write to the memory as well as the old computer.

Can this be done directly using the DD-WRT firmware and some hardware hacks (or w/ an Off the shelf router w/ DD-WRT support)?

Alternatively, has anyone seen any other hardware that can allow me to connect from the USB 1.1 to a Network file store (e.g. the SAMBA / jffs on the dd-wrt)?

Background: The PC operates some test equipment in the lab. Part of my job is to take the data that was stored off by the test system to the pen drive every few hours and copy it to another system for analysis. It's a redundant task that I'd love to automate. Not too infrequently I have to write a few files back to the USB Drive and transfer them the same way... since it's 'only a few minutes each day' of my time, upgrading the existing system isn't an option. I figure if i can get the old PC to write out its files to a location DD-WRT can read, then with some scripts I can automate the moving of the files, and make my life much easier.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are two ways I see, both would require some intervention on the old pc.

1. Look into ethernet over usb
2. Get an old usb wireless adapter

I know you say no drivers and whatnot but unless its windows 3.1 or something I think drivers wouldn't be a issue.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:20    Post subject: Re: Share Flash Drive between Router and PC Reply with quote
dave981 wrote:

Alternatively, has anyone seen any other hardware that can allow me to connect from the USB 1.1 to a Network file store (e.g. the SAMBA / jffs on the dd-wrt)?

put linux on the pc, plugin a ethernet card

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 0:27    Post subject: Re: Share Flash Drive between Router and PC Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
dave981 wrote:

put linux on the pc, plugin a ethernet card

Number 1 would have required linux also, then you aren't limited by your OS. Must be a variation of BSD Dave? Not that there's anything wrong with BSD its that you said old.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
What OS is running on that Old PC?

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=EZ101&cats=112&catid=112%2C585

USB -> USB data transfer cable, USB 1.1 compliant
Also has Windows 98 drivers !!!

Old enough for you?

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: