Changing antenna on WRT54G 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
fackamato
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Changing antenna on WRT54G 1.0 Reply with quote
Hi,

New to this forum but not so new to DD-WRT.

I'm currently using the wrt54g as a repeater - it works OK, but drops the connection sometimes because of the low signal quality to the other AP. I've purchased one of these (not fitted it yet) "9dbi OMNI RP-TNC Antenne for Cisco LinkSys Tranzeo Wap" ( picture ), hoping to get better results. Do I attach it to antenna 1 or 2? Do I need to increase the signal strength (mW) in the interface? What's the maximum safe option for an unmodded WRT54G 1.0?

Thanks in advance,

fackamato
Sponsor
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Re: Changing antenna on WRT54G 1.0 Reply with quote
fackamato wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently using the wrt54g as a repeater - it works OK, but drops the connection sometimes because of the low signal quality to the other AP. I've purchased one of these (not fitted it yet) "9dbi OMNI RP-TNC Antenne for Cisco LinkSys Tranzeo Wap" ( picture ), hoping to get better results. Do I attach it to antenna 1 or 2? Do I need to increase the signal strength (mW) in the interface? What's the maximum safe option for an unmodded WRT54G 1.0?

Thanks in advance,

fackamato
Not sure but you've got a 50/50 shot at getting it right. Try one then the other. Why didn't you buy the dual antenna that screw into the back? They are about $20.00 on eBay.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
fackamato
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:57    Post subject: Re: Changing antenna on WRT54G 1.0 Reply with quote
Mordak wrote:
fackamato wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

fackamato
Not sure but you've got a 50/50 shot at getting it right. Try one then the other. Why didn't you buy the dual antenna that screw into the back? They are about $20.00 on eBay.

I didn't know that they existed! I do know, I found them for about €26 (+ shipping). I'll see how this goes. If it doesn't work, I'll get the duals. Thanks.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem glad to help out.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
cocopuffs809
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't you just go into advanced wireless settings and set TX and RX to the same antenna?
sandysot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just returned a set of these 15 inch tall, so-called,9db high gain antenna.They usually do nothing to increase signal strength- at least thats what I found out after installing them.I Could have saved my self the roundtrip postage If I'd just gone to Amazon and checked the reviewS.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
sandysot wrote:
I just returned a set of these 15 inch tall, so-called,9db high gain antenna.They usually do nothing to increase signal strength- at least thats what I found out after installing them.I Could have saved my self the roundtrip postage If I'd just gone to Amazon and checked the reviewS.
I have the 7dBi Linksys antenna on my primmarty WRT54G-TM and I notice a strength gain. Not sure what your problem was.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sandysot, you should read the Catfish thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43810 more antenna info than you could probably ever want.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
techtravis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would pick up 2 9dBi antennas from

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-65/Antenna--fdsh--Aerial-9dbi/Detail.bok

they are cheap and reliable unlike alot of ebay sellers..

Best low cost antennas I've found so far.

Put one on each end, increase tx power to 60mw and you should be golden.

a great way to test signal strength between antennas is to use...
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

set that up on a laptop or other wireless device and move to to a distance near the range of your current antenna...

Then unscrew the current antenna and screw on the replacement. See if the signal increases.

I have purchases 16dBi antennas that have done nothing for the signal. After ripping them apart I could tell why Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: