Static DHCP Causing Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
brod7838
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 19:50    Post subject: Static DHCP Causing Problems Reply with quote
I've searched the forum & Wiki and the Peacock thread before posting. If I missed something let me know.

I decided to "organize" my network by creating Static DHCP Leases in Services for my more common network devices.

I had all of the leases created, MAC, Host Name, IP address, saved, applied, router rebooted for good measure...

It was working great for a few minutes, rebooted all of the clients and they pulled the correct IP's based on their respective static leases, then I started noticing problems:

iPhone, wlan: Gets the correct IP for a few seconds, then loses it immediately.
Roku Netflix, wlan: Unable to obtain IP at all.
Laptop, wlan: Same as iPhone
All computers, wlan & lan: After a few minutes of obtaining lease, all clients lose DNS resolution. Can ping by IP, but cannot ping by hostname both internally and externally. Tried manually setting OpenDNS resolver IP's in NIC's with no change.

Setup: Linksys WRT-54GL v1.1 running V24-sp1 (07-26-08) std-special
Sponsor
DogMoto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also having the same problem, I have just reset the router again (third time already after I got it working at last).

The funny thing is that the computer connected trough lan or wifi doesn´t show up on the DHCP client list. Weird, pretty weird... Is like the dhcp isn´t working.

This is my firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro
(SVN revision 12548M NEWD Eko) on a WRT54G v.6
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
brod7838 - you're using SP1, have you seen the SP1 specifics in the Peacock thread ?

DogMoto - you didn't mention your build.. i'm guessing you're SP1 also..

I've always had flawless Static DHCP, over a couple years, both in v23 and the EKO 12548 builds which i've just upgraded to over the last few days..

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
5 ACES
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
As creaky said, upgrade from SP1. Also, when your doing this, make sure everything is off, your laptop, iPhone, all computers. Reboot the main AP and let it start up. Then, start up each device, one at a time. I use the static DHCP for everything except for three computers, but I have a total of 12 static DHCP devices that all use it and it's flawless. Makes things easier to keep track of, especially if you have a large network and want to keep track of who's using it.
brod7838
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for not following up sooner on this.

creaky, 5 ACES- I must have somehow skipped over the section on SP1. I just now read that section; thanks for pointing that out my bad for missing it Embarassed
I will update to SP2; I had been waiting but I know it's time :D

What I did end up doing was using the DNSMasq as the DHCP Daemon, and re adjusted the DHCP pool range to more accurately reflect the range I wanted to be reserved, and between the 2 everything seems to be working fine now. I'm not sure if it was one/both of these, or if I inadvertently corrected some other setting.
brod7838
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I was wondering; I noticed a weird quirk I was unsure of:

Both of my iPhones are pulling their correct static leases now, but one of them shows up in the DHCP Clients table as "90 days" for the client lease time.
I've deleted the lease, removed the network from the iPhone's memory, rebooted the router and re-connected, but it immediately shows up as a 90 day lease again. I'm not too concerned about this, but was curious for some input.
The second iPhone shows "Static" as I would expect.

Any thoughts?
5 ACES
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
brod7838 wrote:
Oh, I was wondering; I noticed a weird quirk I was unsure of:

Both of my iPhones are pulling their correct static leases now, but one of them shows up in the DHCP Clients table as "90 days" for the client lease time.
I've deleted the lease, removed the network from the iPhone's memory, rebooted the router and re-connected, but it immediately shows up as a 90 day lease again. I'm not too concerned about this, but was curious for some input.
The second iPhone shows "Static" as I would expect.

Any thoughts?

That one has me stumped! I have had this happen too and the only way I fixed it was to shut off the client receiving the static IP, then delete the IP from the router, and finally rebooting the router. After the router was up, I would then fire up the client and it would receive the static IP, but now, it showed up as Static on the router's IP list and not a 90 day lease. You did most of this it looks like, but did you reboot the router after you deleted the IP address? It may or may not work in your case, but I have had to contend with that problem as well and it seems to only fix itself if you do it in a perfect order, which I usually forget until I do it about three times. Embarassed Hope this helps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: