HowTo: Create multiple (B)SSIDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
CliffP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
andrew82 an CrashR, would you do me a favor and create a backup of your router's configuration (Administration -> Backup) and email me the nvrambak.bin so I can try to make the HowTo work with PPPoE as well?

(anyone else who has a problem can send me their config file as well)

A note though, that this will expose your router's passwords to me, so if that's a concern, please change or delete them prior to making the backup.

Please email to dd-wrt (at) pennock (dot) nl
Sponsor
andrew82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
CliffP
Posted a config file! Hope this will help you make your guide better. I applied the second guest network, but today i see a wireless client at it (probably it's my neigbour) that has a virus, so it scanns the internet probing for unupdated windows machines throug port 445, and sends some spam through 25 port, what the command should execute or maybe add to startup to block connections with certain target ports?
CrashR
You can run "ifconfig" and look for interface with an external IP.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two days now lost on trying to get Nintendo DS running on Virtual wireless, was up 'til 530am this morning out of frustration. Am annoyed as i upgraded two of my routers from v23 sp2 to v24 sp2 EKO 12548 needlessly, but i digress, the new builds seem good so far (apart from Multiple BSSID's not working correctly). Have also been using laptops under linux to try to connect to the Virtual interface as i can obviously get more detail ie from /var/log/messages than from a DS console. After 2 years of using v23 sp2 it was about time i tried some new builds so it's not all bad. However like many people on these forums i'm very frustrated with the Multiple BSSID stuff not working correctly so will try to list what i've done along with what works and what doesn't. (my internet is normal phone line broadband, provided by an 'O2 Wireless Box II').

Tried a WRT54G 3.1 and a WRT54GS v6, though after much internet trawling it seemed i needed something with a CoreRev of 8 or more so i've now promoted the WRT54GS v6 to be my main router, which is CoreRev 9 and is now running EKO 12548 (NEWD build); (had previously tried BS 12533 but no joy with that at all).

Anyways, have mainly been following this ~ http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html as other tutorials just don't work for me at all ie http://blog.dotkam.com/2008/10/02/configure-multiple-ssids-with-one-router/ and http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3710791

This is what I have working so far:

The Primary wireless works correctly (WPA2 Personal/AES) - all works exactly as expected
The Virtual wireless works correctly (WEP) but does not have internet (DHCP works on laptops and on Nintendo DS, but neither can get internet access)

(Tried setting the Primary wireless to WPA but still no difference to Virtual interface, and tried setting both interfaces to WPA, again, no difference)

Primary wireless -

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Virtual Wireless

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

DNSMasq:

DNSMasq enabled
Local DNS disabled

interface=br1
dhcp-range=br1,192.168.2.100,192.168.2.102,255.255.255.0,1440m

(no combinations of dhcp-options make any difference whatsover, nor does using Static IP's)

I won't bother listing the startup or firewall sections as i'm only using what's provided in the above tutorial and no amount of tweaking the commands makes the internet work. I admit to not (yet) understanding the syntax for iptables, but various combinations of iptables commands in conjunction with reading (far too many) threads on similarly unsuccessful attempts at getting Multiple BSSID's working seem to suggest to me that it's not iptables at fault but the underlying mechanics of the virtual SSID simply not working correctly. So even omitting some of the firewall rules involved in segregating subnets, doesn't help.

So after virtually no sleep i gave up, went for a bike ride today to clear my head and have spent the rest of the afternoon fighting with (lack of) internet access on the Virtual interface again.

I'm off to trawl more forum threads but i fear it'll just be more tales of woe from other users as it seems there aren't many real success stories with Multiple BSSID's involving internet access on the Virtual interface. I won't be trying any newer (or older) builds yet as so far i haven't read anything to suggest than any other build than EKO 12548 will help, and i suspect that none of the Mods or regular posters use Nintendo DS's so all i can go on are other posters' comments and unfortunately none of them help Embarassed

It doesn't help that most people aren't posting the actual builds that do work. I'd try out build 11100 as CliffP reports that as working but my concern is that other people can't get that build to work. I know all my settings off by heart anyway but that doesn't mean i want to keep typing them in over and over :roll:

edit- I normally use generic builds but 2 days ago switched to EKO build 12548 as from what i'd read so far, the only way to get Multiple BSSID's was to use EKO builds. My other dilemma is that the only spare routers i have that can do Multiple BSSID's ie CoreRev 9's are 2MB routers ie i can't use new builds such as EKO 12774 so it looks like i'm completely stuck where i am..
I had just discovered the compressed CFE sticky thread.. and the WRT54GS v6 isn't supported yet so i can't even get Mico Plus builds on there ie the latest builds.

Back to scouring the net re BSSID's...

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)

Last edited by creaky on Thu Sep 10, 2009 14:59; edited 1 time in total
CliffP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm actually running on 12548M NEWD Eko, and that works fine. I have three wireless interfaces. One WPA/TKIP for my local network, one WPA/TKIP for guests, and one WEP for my WII and Nintendo DS. All three are working perfectly and I can connect to the internet on all three without a problem.

One thing I've noticed though is that a lot of people do not reset their router to factory settings prior to following the HowTo. And that's where it goes wrong most of the time. You need to start with a "fresh" setup, follow my HowTo, then if all wireless interfaces are working properly, make the changes you want to your network settings.

If you still can't get it to work, please do not hesitate to send me your config file (nvrambak.bin) and I will try to figure out what's wrong.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers for the reply. I most certainly do reset properly between flashes Laughing

Am still trying to get this working, at this very moment i'm trying to remove the virtual interface but it keeps coming back after reboot. Most annoying, am trying to avoid erasing the nvram and starting over as i've done this so many times already with no benefits.
When the virtual interface isn't playing peek-a-boo it happily provides DHCP connections, it's the elusive internet connection that's the pain.

Might have to start over again anyway though as the Virtual interface has stopped broadcasting it's presence even though i can see it still existing via ifconfig in telnet. Ho hum will be back once i have removed all traces of it. I'm very much tempted to can this as a bad job and just setup another router under WEP and only switch it on when we actually use the DS's, it's got to be better than losing so much time this way.

P.s. there's nothing special about my network, i have normal ADSL provided via the O2 router, that router only provides the internet, my primary DD-WRT router handles DHCP, wifi etc, and it's connected to the O2 router via a normal LAN port.

Back soon when i've reset yet again if i haven't lost faith ... :roll:

Am back....and it's not looking pretty, well it wasn't before!..

Have started (again) from scratch, and am now methodically making notes of Wireless security combinations and the outcome ie do i get DHCP etc etc and clearing all settings in between each combination.

Four combinations so far just don't work ie ~

1. WPA/AES on Primary, WEP on Virtual - Primary can get DHCP and internet, Virtual gets DHCP but no internet. Sometimes the Virtual won't even connect.
2. WPA/TKIP on Primary, WPA/TKIP on Virtual - Primary can get DHCP and internet, Virtual can't even connect or get DHCP.
3. WPA/AES on Primary, WPA-TKIP on Virtual - Primary can get DHCP and internet, Virtual can't even connect or get DHCP.
4. WPA/TKIP on Primary, WEP on Virtual - Primary can get DHCP and internet. Virtual can't even connect or get DHCP.

So it's (still) not working. Am going to persevere for now with different combinations, though it's obvious from so many attempts that something is definitely amiss here.

I've also tried all manner of combinations for these 3 options on the main Router Setup page ~

Use DNSMasq for DHCP
Use DNSMasq for DNS
DHCP-Authoritative

(prior to experimenting with BSSID's i would always have all 3 of these empty and everything would work fine). So it might be worth someone listing what they have ticked for these settings, plus for Gateway, Local DNS and Static DNS settings (if applicable) but as it's now 04:28 i'm off to bed and i won't be fiddling with BSSID's in a hurry Rolling Eyes

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
CliffP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you create a backup of your configuration and email me the nvrambak.bin file to dd-wrt (at) pennock (dot) nl?
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have emailed it to you as it was just sat in the PM outbox doing nothing. Hope you can see something obvious, thanks for looking into it regardless of whether it works or not.. 'tis appreciated as i am ready to give up and use a spare router as a basic WEP router just to plug in when the DS's are being used..

edit- many more hours lost unsuccessfully trying to get this to work. For now i've reconnected the router i was using for WEP access before and Nintendo DS's are working fine thru that. The whole network is now insecure but at least it works Rolling Eyes

nathulal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

Almost got it working on my Linksys 310N. I followed the guide and created a Virtual Network and am using WPA2-AES encryption. On rebooting the router I can connect to the virtual network, however after a minute or so I cant connet to the virtual network anymore. Upon investigating I found that the nas process for the virtual network gets reset from "br1" back to "br0". Everything else in the command line is still exactly the same. I did a sanity check and made sure its not a typo in my startup scripts.

I am using Eko 12774 vpn-small on my router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
nathulal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
nathulal wrote:
Hey Guys,

Almost got it working on my Linksys 310N. I followed the guide and created a Virtual Network and am using WPA2-AES encryption. On rebooting the router I can connect to the virtual network, however after a minute or so I cant connet to the virtual network anymore. Upon investigating I found that the nas process for the virtual network gets reset from "br1" back to "br0". Everything else in the command line is still exactly the same. I did a sanity check and made sure its not a typo in my startup scripts.

I am using Eko 12774 vpn-small on my router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Alright solved my problem. I was using 192.168.3.x for my main network and 192.168.2.x for my virtual network. Somehow the firmware doesnt like it. Once I changed my virtual networks range to 192.168.5.x everything works great.

Thanks for the great guide.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using the WAN port ?

CliffP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
@nathulal:

Could you do me a favor? Could you create a backup of your config now and email it to me (nvrambak.bin), then change the IP back to when it wasn't working, wait for it to actually stop working, then create a backup file and email that one to me as well?

I have a suspicion of what might be the problem in your case but I need to confirm.

Thanks!
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
CliffP - any ideas yet whether virtual BSSID's work without a WAN connection. I've yet to read anything that says it's needed or not. I personally don't see what difference it makes. I've totally lost interest with it at the moment, it's far easier to just flick on the WEP router, stuff just works that way.

CliffP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you receive my last email? I asked if your ADSL modem is acting as router as well because in the config file you sent me, I saw your Linksys had no WAN connection. It looked like it was connecting to the internet through another external router. If so, then that's your problem right there.

You don't need a WAN connection for the multiple BSSIDs to work, but the HowTo specifically assumes the router you are setting it up on has a WAN connection. If it hasn't then that's a special case and is beyond the scope of the HowTo. I could probably figure out how to get it working on your setup, though.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry could have sworn i'd replied back. Staying up thru the night and not fixing things isn't good for me :p
Yeah i have an ADSL modem providing the internet connection, everything else is done via the main Linksys, it's detailed here ~ http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57712&highlight=

That's what i'm thinking, i don't see why a WAN port would be needed, trouble is i'm not finding for definite in the HowTo's/threads out there whether WAN connections are a prerequisite for BSSID's or not, i don't believe that i'm in the minority running routers hanging off a separate modem.

edit- i think i need to configure the O2 box in Bridged mode to get BSSID's working.
My networking knowledge/terminology is lacking so when i say my modem is only providing the internet connection it seems i should be saying that if it was in Bridged mode it would only be providing the internet connection. Ho hum i'm no networking expert after all, will have to try and find my old BT Voyager 210 modem as i don't want to break the O2 modem.

Last edited by creaky on Sun Sep 13, 2009 21:21; edited 2 times in total
Timmymac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
For now i've reconnected the router i was using for WEP access before and Nintendo DS's are working fine thru that. The whole network is now insecure but at least it works Rolling Eyes

Assuming you have a limited number of DS's in your household, you could just set up MAC Filter under the Wireless tab of the WEP router. That way you can prevent people from connecting to your less-secure WEP access point.
Sure, it's a work-around, but if you're really worried then this'll help. If someone goes to the trouble of sniffing your DS's MAC, and then cracks your WEP password... well, that's when directional antennas and a baseball bat can be handy Evil or Very Mad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: