wireless 802.1x in wireless client mode not showing up

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
chewitt@smseng.com
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 22:24    Post subject: wireless 802.1x in wireless client mode not showing up Reply with quote
there is supposed to be a 802.1x selection enabled within the wireless security tab in wireless client mode on the special builds for broadcom devices. We purchased this, grabbed the s4sp2 12533 micro special build from the provided link on this forum and put it on our device and this selection does not show up. Can someone help us as we need this working
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Re: wireless 802.1x in wireless client mode not showing up Reply with quote
chewitt@smseng.com wrote:
there is supposed to be a 802.1x selection enabled within the wireless security tab in wireless client mode on the special builds for broadcom devices. We purchased this, grabbed the s4sp2 12533 micro special build from the provided link on this forum and put it on our device and this selection does not show up. Can someone help us as we need this working

Look on the Administration>>Management tab. There is a subsection for 802.1x Enable/Disable located there.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Re: wireless 802.1x in wireless client mode not showing up Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
chewitt@smseng.com wrote:

Look on the Administration>>Management tab. There is a subsection for 802.1x Enable/Disable located there.

redhawk

Thanx, thats enabled already though.
We were told by buying the special edition we would have another option in the wireless security dropdown for 802.1x when wireless was set to client mode. this is not happening/showing up which is the issue at this point.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
have u tried another build?
mini or standard?

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
have u tried another build?
mini or standard?

both devices we have only have 8mb ram and 2mb flash so micro only listed supported version for those devices. asus 520g and linksys wap54g v3.1
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
no support in the mirco....not enough flash.
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
no support in the mirco....not enough flash.

well crap. wish we were told that beforhand.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
for prof usage u should have informed yourself before spending (in this case wasting) the money for crappy hw.....
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
for prof usage u should have informed yourself before spending (in this case wasting) the money for crappy hw.....

Your comment was rude and insulting.

We asked a basic question in the general forum concering wifi client mode and radius/802.1x auth support. Were told yes it was definitely supported in latest builds of the special edition for broadcom. NO mention or warning that micro build did not include this support, special edition or not.

We aren't doing some huge network here. We have a small handful of computers and a small server which require light internet access protected by a wifi-less firewall/proxy box. This firewall box needs access to the internet which is only being provided to us in this room via wireless and the providers require the 802.1x auth which is what this dd-wrt upgraded device was planned to provide for us. 5 computers accessing email and a few webpages isn't exactly 'enterprise' class for bandwidth/performance. This also brings in the issue that G devices are being phased out and are hard to come by in Canada these days and no locally available N devices are supported by dd-wrt, trust me I looked and everywhere its trendnet (unsupported), current linksys N series (unsupported) and current dlink dir-xxx N series which is also unsupported. This limited us to basically a couple of still available Asus 520g and the linksys wap54g which at least had a dual antenna setup and what seems to be relatively stable hardware and a bit of history on support.
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Chewitt, I will suggest you to sell your crappy hardware on Ebay , and buy a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. They do work nicely, are very stable, and you wont be in trouble with them.

I do run them in very hard conditions (winter up to - 32C, sommer over 41C), and it does 2 years I am running them for our internet servers.

About your issue, it is mentioned in the WiKi about the amount of flash / RAM available in every router compatible with DD-WRT.

You probably missed that step, and got a wrong advice about your hardware compatibility.

Check here : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Anyway, nothing is lost, just upgrade to a new hardware, sell the other, and that's it. You can use the special DD-WRT on any Broadcom hardware.

Michel

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally asked Eko about this. He says its in the mini build. Micro doesn't have enough flash space to include it...and Std is already too big to include it for a 4M unit.

so...Get a unit with at least 4M flash...and run mini.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I finally asked Eko about this. He says its in the mini build. Micro doesn't have enough flash space to include it...and Std is already too big to include it for a 4M unit.

so...Get a unit with at least 4M flash...and run mini.

redhawk

Awesome thank you very much for the heads up. We just tracked down a linksys wrt310n from Walmart of all places (only 1 in stock in any of the ~5 locations in the city mind you) which has 4mb of flash and I was coming on to ask why standard didn't have the feature. I'll switch to mini and give it a go.
chewitt@smseng.com
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, so mini has the 802.1x option which is great but its standalone. Is there a way to setup standard wpa2 (not wpa2-psk) with 802.1x auth? That is how its configured here and I would assume is fairly common for providing a good mixture of encryption and authentication.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: