Shutdown computers? [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 21:26    Post subject: Shutdown computers? [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Had some time today to play around with WOL and using it with cron. I can wake up a couple of pcs that I want to backup at midnight and now I would like to know if it is possible to shut them down at a certain time, kind of the reverse of WOL?

Thanks!
Very Happy

Last edited by Slione on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:06; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
the.root
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
What OS are running on these machines? Could always make a script, using ssh commands to connect and poweroff *nix PC's.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 22:33    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
Slione wrote:
... is possible to shut them down at a certain time, kind of the reverse of WOL?

Windows XP

shutdown -s -f

shutdown /? for more options.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 23:28    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:

Windows XP

shutdown -s -f

They are XP machines but I am not awake when these machines are backing up. The cron job I run wakes them up at midnight for backing up to a server, the server will back them up at some random time between midnight and 6 am. What I am looking for is a script (or something) that will shut them down at let's say 6:15 am.

@the.root:

Can you give me some examples of SSH commands that might work? I am not well versed in that but could learn!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 23:52    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
Slione wrote:
What I am looking for is a script (or something) that will shut them down at let's say 6:15 am.

shutdown -s -f

Save that one line as a batch file. To do this you can copy and paste that line into notepad and save it as a text file. Then change the file extension from .txt to .bat to make it an executable batch file. The use Windows Scheduled Tasks in the control panel to run the batch file at 6:15 AM.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 0:29    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
Slione wrote:
GeeTek wrote:

Windows XP

shutdown -s -f

They are XP machines but I am not awake when these machines are backing up. The cron job I run wakes them up at midnight for backing up to a server, the server will back them up at some random time between midnight and 6 am. What I am looking for is a script (or something) that will shut them down at let's say 6:15 am.

@the.root:

Can you give me some examples of SSH commands that might work? I am not well versed in that but could learn!

Thanks.

Do you want to "Shut them down" or "Put them back to sleep"?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
shutdown -s -f

Save that one line as a batch file. To do this you can copy and paste that line into notepad and save it as a text file. Then change the file extension from .txt to .bat to make it an executable batch file. The use Windows Scheduled Tasks in the control panel to run the batch file at 6:15 AM.

Thanks GeeTek I'll give that a shot!

@DHC_DarkShadow:

For now I need these computers to be shut down....I never really thought about putting them to sleep....hmmmm something else to ponder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 0:57    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
Slione wrote:
GeeTek wrote:
shutdown -s -f

Thanks GeeTek I'll give that a shot!

@DHC_DarkShadow:

For now I need these computers to be shut down....I never really thought about putting them to sleep....hmmmm something else to ponder.

If you shut them down, will somebody restart them? I am concerned for the backup the next night. Not sure if these are used computers or not, but if you just want them back asleep there is nothing else to do, they will sleep on there own.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:

If you shut them down, will somebody restart them? I am concerned for the backup the next night. Not sure if these are used computers or not, but if you just want them back asleep there is nothing else to do, they will sleep on there own.

Actually they will be re-awakened the next day with the cron job I put in the router:

0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/wol -i 192.168.1.255 00:00:00:00:000:00

(the zero's are to protect the guilty computer! Very Happy "

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the.root wrote:
What OS are running on these machines? Could always make a script, using ssh commands to connect and poweroff *nix PC's.

How about Vista? Can this be done the same way as XP?
LrdShaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
How exactly are you backing up your PC? Is it a software on your PC that runs once you WOL it from your router?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
LrdShaper wrote:
How exactly are you backing up your PC? Is it a software on your PC that runs once you WOL it from your router?

It's actually a Windows Home Server (WHS) that does the backing up. The pcs just need to be on and the WHS does the backups between midnight and 6 am.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Re: Shutdown computers? Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
shutdown -s -f

I setup the batch file with this command, setup the Windows Scheduled task and when the time hit all that happened was a Command window opened up and the shutdown -s -f command was scrolling. I thought it might have been a problem with me being logged in remotely so I reset the time for the scheduled task to run again and made sure I was not logged on remotely and it still did not shut it down.

I don't know if this will help but when the machine gets woken up it just sits at the signon screen. Is this method supposed to work from just the signon screen? Confused

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
This might be a cool post to add to the Wiki for the different operating systems to do these WOL and SOL (Sleep on Lan Wink) functions.

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
LrdShaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slione wrote:
LrdShaper wrote:

It's actually a Windows Home Server (WHS) that does the backing up. The pcs just need to be on and the WHS does the backups between midnight and 6 am.

I don't have DD-WRT running on any of my routers now so I can't test but there's a nifty little utility in the samba package that let's you shutdown a windows machine remotely:

net rpc shutdown -I ipAddressOfWindowsPC -U username%password

This will issue a shutdown command to the Windows machine. username must be an administrator on the Windows machine. Other relevant commands are:

net rpc shutdown -r : reboot the Windows machine

net rpc abortshutdown : abort shutdown of the Windows machine

I use WOL and net rpc extensively on my network to wake up, backup and shutdown the computers on my network one by one. Hope this helps, cheers!

Navigation

Jump to: