sharing antenna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
lattimershotgun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:17    Post subject: sharing antenna? Reply with quote
If i had a wifi cantenna or sat dish hook up going would it be possible to take that coax pigtail that is coming out that is going to plug into my client bridged router and splice it so its like a Y. So pigtail to antenna and then have it Y into two seperate clinent bridged routers? so basically pick up two seperate AP with two routers sharing one antenna?
Sponsor
thatoneguysteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6012
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47    Post subject: Re: sharing antenna? Reply with quote
lattimershotgun wrote:
If i had a wifi cantenna or sat dish hook up going would it be possible to take that coax pigtail that is coming out that is going to plug into my client bridged router and splice it so its like a Y. So pigtail to antenna and then have it Y into two seperate clinent bridged routers? so basically pick up two seperate AP with two routers sharing one antenna?

NO Exclamation

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Re: sharing antenna? Reply with quote
If the 2 routers use different fequency ranges and you use a beam splitter (as suggested above) it might just work. But because of the beam splitter you loose 3dB of antenna gain. The problem is in the beam splitters: You have to avoid getting too much transmission power from one router entering the input of the other. Not a problem if you have really good input filters which most WLAN units do not have because they want to be flexible as to the frequency range.
Avoid such a configuration if you want to have a reliable network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: