Belkin F5D8230-4 v1001ea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
MysticCobra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
andreev2001 wrote:
I'd suggest to try the following steps:
1. Reset the router.
Did the 30/30/30 reset.
Quote:
2. Install the fw from page 3 on this thread. It will fix /I hope/ the WAN configuration. Keep in mind the wi-fi won't work. Don't touch any configuration and DON'T RESET the router.
Done, via TFTP. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my previous post, this now bricks the router. I was able to load this firmware once before, back on June 30, and demonstrate that the WAN functionality worked. When I try to do that today, the router stops responding.

I've tried flashing with the original Belkin wifi card installed, with the new atheros wifi card installed, and with no wifi card installed. I've even tried flashing without cards, then reinstalling the cards after the flash completed, as well as flashing with cards installed, then removing them (always powering off the router when cards were installed or removed, of course). Every combo I could think of.

In all cases, the router fails to respond (pings time out). The only response I can get at all is the brief window of TTL=100 response on 192.168.2.1 after a reset that allows a firmware reload (thank goodness!).

Quote:
3. Install the atheros fw. The link is on page 14 on this thread.
I can still successfully load this firmware. It just continues to have the WAN problems.

Quote:
It should work.
Famous last words! :)

I think the only thing I've done that MadMax didn't is that I fiddled around with some of the current builds (in the "others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/<various dates>/broadcom" folders). I wonder if I introduced a problem by doing that, maybe corrupting my nvram?

Is there any tool I can use to completely reset my nvram to some known state? I wonder if there's something corrupt in there that's causing the "mini with good WAN but no wifi" to hang on boot.

Jim
Sponsor
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two people report the same problem. I am start thinking that there are at least two problems.
1. Resetting router does not clear all the nvram variables.
2. Some builds recognized the router as a different one.
There is one thing that bothers me. The fact the fw from page 3 bricks the router. I do believe it is a fw size issue. The good part is if the CFE is in good condition then you can always restore to original fw from belkin.
I am not expert in nvram clearing logic in dd-wrt. And I don't want to look at the code.
I have a few ideas you can try.
1. Restore to original belkin fw and perform a reset from there. Try both software and hardware ones. This router has a default nvram settings that are king of part of CFE. Check the router's manual. Then you can try the fw from page 14.
2. You can use fmk to strip down the fw from page 3 and give it another try.
3. You can manually set some nvram variables in order to force the fw to recognize the router properly.
4. There should be some nvram guru around who can help you out.

The bottom line is this guy can run dd-wrt and we can make it work. I am using it as we speak now. Just make sure your router is exact the same. Check out my signature if you are in doubt.

Hope it helps.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 0:32    Post subject: Just a suggestion Reply with quote
If you cant get the mini to work, somehow the nvram must need cleared and it might do it if you install the original router software (have original wireless card installed during that) and do a hard reset by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds while powering up the router, this *might* reset the nvram. If that gets to working, install the mini with the wireless card removed, verify that the network in and out works.

After that works, I then turned the power off on the router and installed the atheros card, then on power up installed the full version via tftp too.

Funny thing is it still reports the chipset as Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 but I dont care as it is working like a charm.
MysticCobra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
If time = money, then this is turning out to be the most expensive "free" software I've ever tried! : )

The only thing I can say is that my experience with DD-WRT and this router has been "inconsistent". On three separate occasions last week for a total of about 2.5 hrs, in a very systematic fashion I tried (again) all possible combinations of loading the three firmwares I'm currently dealing with (Belkin 1.01.03, DD-WRT "crippled mini", and DD-WRT latest stable atheros). Not only was I unable to get the "crippled mini" to install successfully, I was now unable to get the "latest stable atheros" version (which had always loaded successfully in dozens of attempts prior to this) to load. Thankfully, I have *always* been able to successfully revert back to the stock Belkin firmware.

Tonight, after MadMax's reply, I tried one more time. (BTW, prior to MadMax's note, I had *many times* done the 30-sec reset while the Belkin firmware was loaded, with seemingly no effect). This time, for whatever reason, I was again able to get the "latest stable atheros" version to load, so I then used the DD-WRT Firmware Update function to load the "crippled mini" version, using the "Do Not Reset" firmware option.

For the first time since late June, the mini version successfully loaded and ran, and it pulled down a WAN IP from the cablemodem. One oddity was noted: It detected my router as a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS, which I had never seen (or heard anyone else report) before!

I then powered off the router, installed my atheros card, repowered, and again saw the router pull down a WAN IP address. I then used the DD-WRT firmware update command to load the "latest stable atheros" firmware.

The router bricked! I had to again revert to the stock Belkin firmware.

I'm out of time to play with this tonight. I wish I knew which way I had to hold my tongue when I press the button, or what phase of the moon is required, or whatever other seemingly random criterion determines whether the firmware will successfully install or not....

My thanks for the continuing suggestions!
Jim
MadMaxDallas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is not to fun for you, and it is interesting that its seeing the router as a WRT54G which says something has modified the vram, which may in itself be a problem. But I feel if you would have not used the gui and done the reboot and uploaded the atheros firmware via tftp you might have got it. The first stage success was good! But it could also be that when you install the atheros software, that it says hay wrong router too! and not continue to boot. I will take a few min to search a bit later for how to set this vram. I think if you get the mini working again, you can telnet into the router, and set some of the settings. I will try tonight to get whats in mine (sure there is a dump feature somewhere) and provide what is working in mine.

MysticCobra wrote:
If time = money, then this is turning out to be the most expensive "free" software I've ever tried! : )

The only thing I can say is that my experience with DD-WRT and this router has been "inconsistent". On three separate occasions last week for a total of about 2.5 hrs, in a very systematic fashion I tried (again) all possible combinations of loading the three firmwares I'm currently dealing with (Belkin 1.01.03, DD-WRT "crippled mini", and DD-WRT latest stable atheros). Not only was I unable to get the "crippled mini" to install successfully, I was now unable to get the "latest stable atheros" version (which had always loaded successfully in dozens of attempts prior to this) to load. Thankfully, I have *always* been able to successfully revert back to the stock Belkin firmware.

Tonight, after MadMax's reply, I tried one more time. (BTW, prior to MadMax's note, I had *many times* done the 30-sec reset while the Belkin firmware was loaded, with seemingly no effect). This time, for whatever reason, I was again able to get the "latest stable atheros" version to load, so I then used the DD-WRT Firmware Update function to load the "crippled mini" version, using the "Do Not Reset" firmware option.

For the first time since late June, the mini version successfully loaded and ran, and it pulled down a WAN IP from the cablemodem. One oddity was noted: It detected my router as a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS, which I had never seen (or heard anyone else report) before!

I then powered off the router, installed my atheros card, repowered, and again saw the router pull down a WAN IP address. I then used the DD-WRT firmware update command to load the "latest stable atheros" firmware.

The router bricked! I had to again revert to the stock Belkin firmware.

I'm out of time to play with this tonight. I wish I knew which way I had to hold my tongue when I press the button, or what phase of the moon is required, or whatever other seemingly random criterion determines whether the firmware will successfully install or not....

My thanks for the continuing suggestions!
Jim
MadMaxDallas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Model # Reply with quote
Mystic could you post the complete model number on the back of your router?
MysticCobra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 15:25    Post subject: Re: Model # Reply with quote
MadMaxDallas wrote:
Mystic could you post the complete model number on the back of your router?
Sorry for the delay. Bottom of the router reads "Wireless Pre-N Router model # F5D8230-4", with a sticker that says "version 1002". (My best guess is that v1002 = hardware version 1 shipped with firmware v1.01.03.) There's also a sticker adjacent to the backplane edge that reads "BEL22LUC".

Only other significant numbers are the three MAC addresses (WLAN, WAN, and LAN).
MadMaxDallas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:00    Post subject: Security update for this version??? Reply with quote
Since there are new versions out, is there a update for this one? Router is working flawlessly.

BTW checked my software version is 1002 and same hardware version as yours too.
Brennan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, total n00b questions here:

1. Any consensus on which FULLY SUPPORTED chip to buy?
2. Can all the functions be used with the atheros FW?

Thanks!
gowdy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Re: Does dd-wrt v24 voip with milkfish-dd w/ Belkin F5D8230- Reply with quote
andreev2001 wrote:

Your problem is the size of the fw. It fails if the size is greater the 3.5 MB. You can use fw-modification kit to remove unused files from desired fw.

The file dd-wrt.v24-12533_VINT_std.bin is just under 3.5MB (3.49MB), should it be fine? (This is for a v1000).
PhoenixReborn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 19:43    Post subject: Wireless Card and Router Flash Reply with quote
I'd like to be able to use the latest possible Dual Band Draft N mini-pci card compatible with this router and DD-WRT. Can someone point me in the direction of one that has 3 antenna connections and works with dd-wrt? I cant find out what version of madwifi the firmwares are using.

So far, however I've found this. Will this work? $ Broadcom BCM94321MP 300Mps 802.11n Mini-PCI Wifi Card
ghatothkach
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:24    Post subject: :: need help flashing Reply with quote
hi

I tried tftp-flashing this with the recommended version from the hardware page... and it does not seem to work... (the mirco version)

I also bought the following mpci card

http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=72

which is AR9220 as it is linux compatible, but I am not sure if it will work with this...

I also have a spare BCM94306MPSG mpci card
in case the one above does not work...

any clues. my hardware version is 1002, not 1001ea

G
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 18:43    Post subject: Re: :: need help flashing Reply with quote
ghatothkach wrote:
hi

I tried tftp-flashing this with the recommended version from the hardware page... and it does not seem to work... (the mirco version)

I also bought the following mpci card

http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?showProduct=72

which is AR9220 as it is linux compatible, but I am not sure if it will work with this...

I also have a spare BCM94306MPSG mpci card
in case the one above does not work...

any clues. my hardware version is 1002, not 1001ea

G

Please clarify does not work part. Not work at all or just the wifi. Which exact version you flashed? Brodcom's micro version does not support Atheros wifi. So the wifi will not work. The BCM94306MPSG may work. I am not sure.
If you want to make a router with broadcom cpu and Atheros wifi to work then you have to use the broadcom fw with atheros word included in the name. Something like "DD-WRT.V24_atheros_wifi.bin" under broadcom generic section.
Since your hw version is different /I don't know how much/ that may make the fw incompatible.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi

OK nothing works, neither the wifi or the router. I cannnot see the dd-wrt admin page...

I will try again, the router is sitting with me at my work cube... but no time to spend on it..

so you are saying
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24%20SP1/Consumer/Belkin/F5D8230-4/dd-wrt.v24_atheros_wifi.bin

should work...

G
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghatothkach wrote:
hi

so you are saying
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24%20SP1/Consumer/Belkin/F5D8230-4/dd-wrt.v24_atheros_wifi.bin

should work...

G

At least it works for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: