2 WHR-G300N linked via cat5 not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Tortri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:17    Post subject: 2 WHR-G300N linked via cat5 not working Reply with quote
Long story short, pole outside my house got hit by lightning and killed my two linksys's.(and cable modem)

SO I bought two WHR-G300N. Flashed DD-WRT no problems on both.. router 1 can see my cable modem(it's directly connected) and work with no problem. From there I connect via cat 5 from router 1 to router 2's "internet port" (wan?) and it's not doing anything. It won't access the internet or anything... It seems to attempt but nothing..

I thought I had it working the same way before. Just connect from router 1 normal port to router 2 internet port and tada, your in business. Its not working that way.. am i missing something?

btw i'm using build 12533

I've reflash and reset to factory default on BOTH routers.. no go. :-\
Sponsor
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you figure this out or did you still need help?

The 2nd router should be set as a client I'm thinking.

For example, if Router 1 - connected to Cable Modem, is IP 192.168.1.1, set Router 2 to IP 192.168.1.2

Hookup Router 1 Lan port -> Router 2 WAN port.

Are you trying to get the 2nd router to issue IP's in a secondary range?
Or do you want Router 1 to do all the DHCP?

There are quite a lot of settings you would need to change and configure.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R14001 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - DD-WRT Build R43800
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2020.5
Tortri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had set the IP's correct, and plugged router 1 into router 2's WAN. I want router 1 to do the DHCP, router 2 is more of a switch than anything atm. At the time I did have it MAC controlled so only those MAC addresses worked so when I get some time I'll try it again with it wide open because I think i had assigned the wrong MAC for router 2. I believe i tried setting router 2 by disabling WAN DHCP and enabling assign wan port to switch and still didn't work. But let me double check this tonight.

Thanks for your help.
Tortri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still can't get it to work. I flash both with the latest firmware 08/19/09.

I've disable dhcp and set wan to switch on router 2

I've set it to dhcp forwarder to forward to router 1 (as well as dhcp server),

i set the gateway to router 1.

i've changed the operating mode to router.

Under security i've disabled the firewall and all below so it doesn't filter anything out.

I'm not using static leases.

I've tried a factory reset so the only thing different between the two was the ip and name....

It would get an ip from router 1 but thats it. I can't even connect to router 1 thru router 2.

Nothing.. just won't see the internet connection. I've given up on this, either the router itself is borked or i just suck, which could be either at this point.

Router 2 by itself with the cable modem works great. But when you switch the cable modem to router 1 then connect router 2 wan to router 1's lan..nothing

Router 1 is 192.168.1.1
Router 2 is 192.168.1.2

If someone has only two of these things working with each other (wired or wireless) send me your nvflash so maybe i can determine if the router is fuct or not. I would be grateful.
Tortri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or maybe it's this...

AlpineMan wrote:
I think I finally know why my WDS isn't working.

One reviewer from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833162026

mentioned "Mac address collisions when running more than one on a network, with DD-WRT installed. This is a result of the fact the LAN's mac address can't currently be detected by DD-WRT, so it uses a default mac address. I was able to work around this with a startup script to change the Mac addresses, but it took me hours to solve this problem, simply changing the address with 'nvram set' and 'nvram commit' causes a change only until you reboot."

Anyone know the complete syntax for "nvram set" command to allow me to change the LAN mac address?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac duplication problem
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: