WDS on WRT310N dropping repeatedly (tried multiple builds)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
He was also running dd-wrt, same version as me at the time.
Sponsor
bnoble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added both STP and the '/usr/sbin/wl -i eth0 interference 0' as a startup script on both devices, they were rock solid for a week. Previously my WDS bridge would drop daily.

For kicks, I removed STP from both devices to narrow down the fix, sure enough, the connection dropped. Added STP back to the remote member of the WDS, it has been solid since, days & days. The fix, for me, was simply enabling Spanning Tree on the remote AP.
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not have STP enabled on either router but with the latest firmware and the wl -i eth0 interference 0 it has been much much better, to the point where it's rebooting so in often I don't really care to figure it out (I can tell as if I go into the status screen my uptime is rarely more then a couple days, which is better then the couple hours it used to be).

Don't really understand the wl -i eth0 interference 0 thing but it seemed to help, maybe this will be tied to a gui option?
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still was randomly getting the WDS disconnect issue / primary router locking up. Sometimes I couldn't even get into the GUI on the router. So I updated to 12774M NEWD-2 and it actually is much WORSE. Constant disconnects/reboots on the primary.

Going to try everything I can find to fix this (run the interference command at startup on both, turn down Tx power to 28, follow the settings here, change the timeouts to 120, etc) and see if I can fix this. I'd really hate to go back to the old stable build and lose the wireless speed....constant 270Mbps has been nice.
[/url]
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now have a 310N running in WDS mode with 12774. Give me your settings and I will test them on my configuration.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing special, WDS between the two identical routers. The primary is N-Only and the secondary is mixed. WPA2 Personal with AES. 30-30-30 before and after each upgrade. Only time it is rock solid is on G band only with security or N band without security it seems. N band + security seems to be when it has issues.

I'm quite positive the primary router is locking/rebooting so I'm going to concentrate on tweaking that one. If the secondary router isn't doing anything the primary is fine. But if there is activity on the secondary (whether wireless or the direct connected machine) it seems the more traffic through WDS the better chance the primary will lock up.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You won't get n speeds if one is set to mixed. Set it to N only and match the wireless configurations on both routers. I can set my 310 to the primary if that assists.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the primary as N only ans the secondary as Mixed. I show 270Mbps on the wireless status screen on both routers. When I connect my laptop using a Intel 5300 wireless card (b/g/n) my connection usually flutters in the 130 - 160 range. My Wii connects to the secondary at 54 (G) and talks through the WDS link and it still maintains the 270 connection between the two.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
vseven wrote:
it still maintains the 270 connection between the two.

Explain what "it" is, and which of the devices you mean by "the two".

The system should default to the lowest device connecting on a single radio system and a wireless client should cut the bandwidth in half on a repeater bridge, even if it is at N speed. Don't confuse connection speed (depends on signal quality) with actual throughput.

At least that's my understanding.

vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Status -> Wireless -> Wireless Status

The Rate lists as 270 on both routers pretty constantly. When my laptop is connected I get a rate of around 130 - 160 as displayed on my wireless cards utility. While I'm connected wirelessly with my laptop both routers still show a solid 270 rate. All the firmware for the last 3 or so months has been running my wireless at 270 which is why I'd hate to go back even though I had less problems.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
vseven wrote:
All the firmware for the last 3 or so months has been running my wireless at 270 which is why I'd hate to go back even though I had less problems.

The 270 speed you see is a reflection of the connection quality. It is not the speed the information is passing at. You can see a speed even when the router is idle. Are you actually "getting" 270 when the router is doing nothing? All that shows you is, based on the quality of connection, how fast the signal QUALITY of the connection would allow.

When you use a router in repeater bridge mode, with a wireless client, you CANNOT actually exceed 135kbs. Wireless clients to a repeater can only get half bandwidth....and the 135 is a theoretical maximum. The actual maximum will be reduced due to encryption. So I wouldn't worry about trying to get the connection quality to read 270.....you can't get it. The repeater router will divide that between the two devices it is communicating with, knocking it in half.

I am getting 270 to show on N routers using 12874 builds when the actual throughput I am using is only 2KBs.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rarely transfer anything between computers but I may test it just to see. My internet is 14000/800 and the last large file I downloaded (a .iso from Microsoft) downloaded at 1.2Mb per sec through the WDS to a wireless client which worked for me.

I'll have to try some file transfers and see what I'm getting. The signal between WDS nodes list at -47, noise -87, SNR 40, quality at 58%. At the higher transmit I had slightly better signal (5% - 10%) but it defiantly locks up more.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
vseven wrote:
I rarely transfer anything between computers but I may test it just to see. My internet is 14000/800 and the last large file I downloaded (a .iso from Microsoft) downloaded at 1.2Mb per sec through the WDS to a wireless client which worked for me.

Then N speed is almost of no use for you. G routers/G speed would suit your purposes. I say "almost" because dd-wrt usually tops out at 11000 with G routers.

You can't judge your system speed from a download from the internet as that also depends on the server, which might be slow. You can't judge it from a lan transfer as lan transfers aren't routed. Places like speedtest often give wildly inconsistent readings.

But....the bottom line is that you are trying to solve a problem that you don't have. Don't worry about the number that displays on the status page. It doesn't effect you.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know, I'm not worried about the rate...it's fine for what I do. I'm worried that the router randomly locks up and reboots.

(as a side note my SpeedTest.net results are identical from all the PC's on my network so I know the routers aren't limiting my speed for that)
Guil-T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:54    Post subject: Solution to the WRT310n overheating Reply with quote
I spent way too much time reading every possible threads on the internet to figure out why my WRT310n was droping connection / rebouting /crashing every 10-20 minutes. I finally came to the conclusion that it was due to the fact that it operates at 10000 degrees.

My solution is the attached picture. And I confirm it works very well.

(notice I drilled bigger holes in the bottom "plastic heat reflector". Also I drilled 5 holes right bellow the CISCO logo on the top (this is right over the heatsink of the heating chip).

GEDC1723_small.JPG
 Description:
Notice the bigger holes in the bottom plate. (Note that the fan is screwed from the inside with the screws that came with it.
 Filesize:  61.74 KB
 Viewed:  23381 Time(s)

GEDC1723_small.JPG

GEDC1725_small.JPG
 Description:
The 5 holes right bellow the CISCO logo are right over the heat sink that was previously carefully isolated by the "well disigned" case.

The wires you see are the fans going right to the input 12v adapter.
 Filesize:  54.65 KB
 Viewed:  23381 Time(s)

GEDC1725_small.JPG

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: